1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. bb0x

bb0x Member

ok so i should lose the mobo and memeory....

could you guys/gals make some suggestions of what motherboard i should get and what ram? (brand/model is nice to know :) )

2. peterttt

peterttt Regular member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Sandra is 2007 san 10105. In fact I sent it to you a while back! I thought this was the agreed upon version long ago, back when 2005 no longer worked. Sisoft is getting to be such BS as M.I.P.S. should be just that M.I.P.S! It's not supposed to be an arbitrary scale, it's supposed to mean something. Million Instructions Per Second!!! How are the results supposed to be meaningful otherwise? Every damn time Sisoft comes out with a new version the scale is different!

MPH, KPH, RPM, CFM all mean something, so why should MIPS be different! That's why they are called standards! It's bogus!

Russ

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bbox

i understand why everyone is saying ditch you mobo and ram and i have to agree the via 8xx mobo donnot oc very well when compared to some but you can get a small oc out of it, but nowere near 3ghz.

the ram might be a surprise, i am guessing it is running on 1.8v it might be realy responive to some more voltage. i would say given around 2.1/2.2v you would most likly get 667 (or even more) out of them, which in the right board is enough to get your cpu to 3ghz. if you want to realy see how far your cpu can go you will need to balance it with some better ram to get the best posssible performance from them on a daily basis.

which you should get depends more on how high you realy want to go, and how much your willing to spend.

@sam

i get 27767 out of mine at 3ghz but im not sure which version it is. it is the latest lite version and the installer is called 1122 if that means anything to you. if you know where in the app i can find out i can let you know.

@petertt

its an ok chipset and you might get a bit of wiggle room from the ram but theonejr is the best person to ask about the pent ds.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

I'm just curious to know what your 4300 runs at @ 3.6ghz (how many MIPS) compared to my 6600 @ 3.6ghz. my 6600 is running at 32967 MIPS.

marsey,

no big deal but since you mispelled it twice in the same paragraph, I thought I would bring it to your attention.
    is spelled really.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Without knowing what brand the ram is it's too hard to tell. You can buy some real cheap 512 sticks of cas5 ram. Prices at Newegg start at $24.99 for 512MB 533 cas5 ram sticks, some I never heard of. If this came as a barebones originally the ram might be some real cheap stuff. I suspect that given the MB limitations it may just OC to maybe 10% or even less, which would not even get you to 2.0. If he's using the on-board video maybe 5% or less, especially with 533 ram.

Happy computering,
    theone

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

peterttt,
    As near as I can figure this MB is not even made anymore. I had to hunt for it on the MSI site as it,s not listed with their current ones. If I were you I would go with a newer design that would allow you to upgrade in the future to a C2D. All the watercooling in the world can't compensate for a so-so MB and so-so memory. Spend the money now rather than having to spend more later and try and plan for the future as much as possible.

I'm spending more now ($128 USD)for my P5N-E SLI MB but I'm leaving myself a path to Quad Core in the future. It will run all Intel dual cores, P4s and even celerons and in spite of what the adds say it supports 533, 800, 1066 and future 1333MHz busses and handles up to 8GB of DDR2 memory. Don't know what the price diffrence is there but being such a flexible platform leaves you a lot of options. I would also recomend the DDR2/6400 memory over the DDR24200 for the same reasons. It just gives you a better foundation to start with. My D-940 (3.2GHz) runs at 3.71GHz on an old tech Asus P5P800 SE MB. It will also run at 4.0 but you really have to pay attention to room temps. You should easily be able to exceed 3.71 with your D-945 with good memory and a better MB.

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you need to look at it more positivly :) they could be d9 ram chips thats the thing, we dont know what they are. i would be realy suprised if they wouldn't oc by what 70mhz ish.

i recon about 15% if he doesnt use the onboard graphics, if he does i wouldnt bother trying as the head ache of it wont offer much improvement

@mort

i know my spelling sux mate i just dont always reread it before i post my reply.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Some time you will have to explain to me how I can look at 533 ram more positively! I guess it might if it was cas4. Good lord, you can get G.Skill DDR2/6400 cas 4 for $85 for a matched set of 512s with timings of 4-4-4-12 that's 800MHz!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231094

Don't sweat the spelling mate! I'm bad enough by myself. One guy on line got on me about my spelling one time and I told him to get stuffed!LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it is cas4.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

marsey and theonejrs,

I wasn't getting onto you about the spelling. I only had good intentions. won't happen again. sorry if it came across the wrong way. no disrespect intended.

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"sammorris" I noticed you have 1 of the mobos I'm looking into for my 2nd Intel build. (P5N-E SLI). How are you gettin along with this mobo on the CPU you have? I want to try my E6600 on this or the Striker Extreme - new top model nVidia 680i from ASUS. I had little enjoyment with my 1st attempt at an nVidia Chipset on an Inetl whit th P5N32-SLI a a yr & a half ago. I like all the features of the Striker Extreme as it pretty much is like my AM2 version, the ASUS CROSSHAIR, including the mobo LEDs and didigtal display back panel plus back lighting on I/O shield. I'm still in the mist of tweeking my AMD but want to know if the Intel 680i is capable of hitting over 532FSB.

Anybody on here using the STRIKER EXTREME yet? Is there a real gain in performance over the nices !975 for high end overclcoking? I am not really a gamer but like the features listed. I'd be more interested in high clcok stability as a daily user the just high clcok that crashes now & then.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I'm the goofball that wrote that line, not marsey99. I failed to notice the @mort at the bottom and thought he was commenting to me! LOL!! It's not so much the spelling but the dyslexia my fingers suffer everytime I use the keyboard! My spelling is fine just my typing sucks!REALLY! ROFL!! Bad joke, Bad joke!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I edited my post. I absent mindedly forgot really was the word that got me into trouble in the 1st place. I meant really as in for reals. I wasn't trying to make a play on words or be a smartass.

I know you posted that but I wanted marsey to know I meant no disrespect. I was out of line.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

NuckNFuts,

a good sorce (DocTY) that has used both the 680i and the 975 chipsets with an E6600, told me personally that the 680i is a little more feature rich and will probably OC just a little higher than the 975 with quality components but the 975 (what I have) is also a very good OC'ing chipset and a little more stable (less quirks).

for the enthuist that wants to continually try and achieve a higher OC or doesn't mind the occasional bsod the 680i is for them. for somebody that wants to achieve a desired OC and not worry about any instability problems, go with the 975 chipset. I know for a fact it will run stable with everyday applications at 400mhz cpu freq. it will go higher but 400 was my desired OC.

the P5N-E uses the older nvidia 650i chipset.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Actually the 650i is the newer chipset by about a month. The 680i was released Nov. 8 and the 650i in Dec. me? I would opt for the Stryker if I could afford it but having to be careful with what I spend (read poor) I'll have to settle for the P5N-E and an Intel E4300. It's the most bang for the buck right now and at 3.4GHz (if I can reach it stable!), about twice as fast as my D-940 at 3.61. New build should be ready to start in a week or so. I'm even starting to get excited!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. bb0x

bb0x Member

well money wont be much of a problem....just what is the best mobo/ram to get to overclock it to 3.0ghz...

I'm srry for being such a noob and a pain in the ass >_>

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bbox

well with pc componants you really do get what you pay for. some of the mobos already mentioned on this page would fit the bill (evga 680i, asus striker) as they are the top off the line. when it comes to ram you want to match it to the mobo you have. once you have picked one look at what is reccomended for that mobo and pick the best on the list. this way you will save yourself some headaches later.

edit

the cheaper 965 and 650i chipset boards should also get you there with no trouble too (like mine :) ).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  19. Ruinous

Ruinous Member

Okay. I've more or less given up on trying to push this old system. However, I've never given up on the idea of saving some cash and building an awesome new one. What I would like to know is, what are some of your opinions on what I should save/buy? I've been keeping up on your E4300 stories and it sounds like a very promising processor for the future. However, I understand the... appeal.. a motherboard tends to have when it's capable of "future" technologies. Given all that in mind, I want a system that has room to expand, but will destroy many of the newer stock systems as far as perfomance goes. So any help here would be greatly appreciated!
    (I intend on spending $$ on the right parts, I just need to know what they are! =) )

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

TO: Ruinous,

If money is not the object, then just go for your favorite brand on the chipset you like. The !975 is good & stable for a high OC. Don't worry too much future compatibility as many of us (me especially) never keep a new mobo more then a year, & barely get around to using half those new tech/features onboard. (never got to use my firewireB on the P5AD2). Read review and pick the most reputible for today, not always the latest. For a fun CPU oC'r, look into the E6300 or E6400. But if money is no concern, go for the E6700/E6800 for good high clock and fun to OC.