1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I must have missed that little fact!

Where exactly was it shown in the screenshots/comments that he's got c&c turned on, I can't see it anywhere?

It's one thing to presume it's cool n quiet, another to be 100% certain.
    That doesn't say 'trust me to get everything right' not in my book anyway.

Maybe you had a PM I didn't see?

P.S posting system specs/details with clocks wound down via onboard tools, isn't too clever.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you lost me at cool n quiet. BTW I tried to find that mobo model
    on the asus website to check bios vs but I couldn't find it.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never seen a CPU be run at Exactly 1Ghz other than when Cool 'n' Quiet is run.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Ah Ha!
    So you were presuming LOL!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was indeed, however I think I may be safer assuming it's CnQ than to assume someone's deliberately set their CPU frequency to 1Ghz!

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You've made an assumption that no one would have deliberately set it to 1 GHz, so it must be C&Q.

I am just as guilty in the fact that I did make an assumption that ‘someone without any real experience and who was attempting to play with the setup of their PC’ seemingly had it set incorrectly’.

Therefore I wouldn’t say either was a safer presumption than the other, if going just by the facts presented.

The fact that koa_jesus seemed to feel a need to OC the system along with the screen captures made a case for what I said.

Why that made you laugh, I'm not sure really, as it seemed a valid observation that no one else had made.

True it could be C&Q and I should have appreciated that fact and made reference to it, personally I always disable any such tools as I always OC my systems.

Either way, it leads to a good point about over-clocking a system.

Don't use any system tools such as C&Q when over-clocking, otherwise you'll never get anywhere near the increase in performance you'd otherwise get.

P.S.
    How exactly are you getting on with your OC setup with the E4300, have you managed to get past 3.0GHZ yet? it seems to have gone quiet on that front.
    I had mine up to 3.6GHZ on three different PC's, so if you need any pointers just let me know, I'd be more than happy to help :)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

koa_jesus,
    Could you remove those pics. It blows the screen way up for everything and I'm on a wide screen. Anything that exceeds the normmal screen size will throw all the posts out of kilter! Try using Image shack to send them.

Thanks,
    theone

8. koa_jesus

koa_jesus Member

yes e multiplier is set at x5 but when multitasking it changes to 10 and runs at 2.0 ghz, i guess its important to save that .50 cents inenergy a day, of well how do I disable this in order to continue with the overclocking??

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, you're right about the point you made BigDK, but I did indeed presume rightly! lol.
    As for the E4300, I seem to be adjusting the only settings other people use, but the board has a nonsensical pattern of successful/unsuccessful boots. It runs fine at 1334, not so great at 1333, and not at all at 1200mhz FSB. Why's that? Also, if I raise the OC and find it unsuccessful then drop back, it won't boot at the old setting, likewise if i drop down and it's not successful. I usually have to pick something closer to 1334, and then go back up again.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam i got a lot of blackholes around there too but once i got above 1300 mine cleared up.

you want to make it as easy for your mobo by using whole numbers and if pos keep your cpu/mem on a 1:1.

if i was you i would try a fsb of 1372 next and set your ram to 686 then if it works add another 40 to your fsb and 20 to your ram. once it fails try halfing your increase to 20/10. this was how i got mine upto 1468 on the x9 multi. 1640 on x8

i have had issues like yours but they were few and far between. i did find that mine would refuse to post if i saved my bios settings to 1 of the profiles, even if it was the default settings it just would not play ball.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

koa_jesus,
    Thank You. much better!

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ok peeps warning here, Im a newbee so please be patient if Im not up to speed but thats why Im here, to try and share your experience.
    Ive got a HP Pavillion a1620.uk, 2.8pentium dual core, with 2gb of pc5300 ram, 160gb(std) and 750gb sata drives both with heatsink/fancoolers, the mboard is an ASUS P5LP-LE and the bios core brand is award.
    I have been looking into clocking my pc obviously for performance but more so for education, Im aware of cooling problems and I have several avenues Im exploring to acumplish this.
    My bios doesnt seem to have any scope for altering much tho, it appears very set in its ways and only has the basic alterations to be made. Can I upgrade or change this to allow me to clock or do i need to buy a whole new board?

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sammorris (P5N-E) & marsey99 (mobo ?), Who's using the CROSSHAIR 590i?

Hi guys, you seam to be a little experienced with AMD so I was wondering if I get some light shed on my AMD AM2 rig for better and stable OC. I posted several time ealier but not much, if any reply. So maybe you'd be willing to feedback. Let me know.

ASUS CROSSHAIR nVidia nForce 590i, AM2 X2 4200 (512x2 L2, 65w, 90nm ver). 512x2 PC4300 CORSAIR TWIN2X-4300C3PRO

Right now, daily OC is stable with new BIOS v0502 as CPU= 250x10, all 3 HTT settings to 4x, RAM set in BIOS as 533 @ 4-3-3-8 @ 2.050v

Like I posted many time on here before, I just wanna get to know my nVidia chipset better as far as the many more advanced BIOS setting and where to overvolt and how far. I had OK luck on my previous nForce 4 SLI (ASUS A8N-E Premium), but not too happy with my new one for high end OC.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The GigaByte GA-964P-DS3 showed up this morning and it's Revision 1.33 which is the absolute latest one. All I need now is memory and a video card and I'll be ready. The free 512 MB memory stick is a flash drive but it's made for usb for cameras and other things. Weird little thing as it's just a tiny inch long stick without any socket. Works fine though. I'll get another one when I order my memory. ChiefValue has some pretty good prices on certain things.

I'm going with either this memory,
    http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--20-231-087
    or this one,
    http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--20-144-062

the G.Skill is cas4 while the Geil is cas3. I just have to find out if it will work in the DS3.

I have a few observations about the Thermaltake WOO93 500w PS. It's very quiet but exhausts some heat inside the case (that clear plastic over about 1/3 of the fan thing) through the side vents so it raises the temps a couple of degrees. The strange thing is that the CPU cooler fan now runs about 2600 RPM, and if you shut it down and then turn it back on after a few minutes, the HSF sounds like an airplane as it runs at 3000 RPM for a minute or so! Weird! Still, this is the quietest PS I've ever had by a bunch!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. koa_jesus

koa_jesus Member

tell me if you think I can even OC on a AsusTek NODUSM mobo, the bios doesnt list any advanced options I cant disable cool and quiet or adjust voltages or bus speeds

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then what adjustments are there? That's pretty much everything needed for overclocking you've told us is missing!

17. koa_jesus

koa_jesus Member

crap adjustments like boot sequence date and time and cpu temp

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

koa_jesus,
    It certainly lives up to the Cool and Quiet name. They make real sure!LOL!!

Theone

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol does it? Just because the CPU cooler can be, doesn't mean that it will be quiet, nor does it mean anything else will be! Very wooly term!

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

koa_jesus,

I couldn't find that mobo model anywhere on the asus website. you might look on the mobo itself and see if it has the same model no. look here

you're going to have to lock the multiplier at 10 or possibly 9 and be able to adjust the cpu frequency, cpu voltage, and probably the dram frequency just to name a few.