1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Theres an ASUS Striker Extreme on ebay b.i.n for £175, top end of my budget. im slowly learning what evrything means but I realy dont know what I should be looking for other than fsb and ram frequencies and cpu socket types.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    First thing is check my last post EDIT! I was wrong on the price. It's still $99 US till tomorrow at Newegg!
    I thought the same thing because the picture in the adds leave you with that impression. It's not the case! The fan goes on the bottom just like a conventional PS! I know, I just installed the exact same model in my Cooler Master Cavalier case. The Unique air flow refers to the clear plastic that covers about 1/3 of the fan and exhausts some air out 2 side vents in the side of the ps case. It will not fit upside down!!! The one offset screw is still on the bottom just like any other PS. It's confusing because they show it upside down to show the airflow. The picture on the box doesn't even show the 2 side vents, but they are there, one on each side that exhaust into the computer case. Do not install it upside down!

They are right about one thing though! It's the quietest PSU I've ever seen and not heard! Thermaltake says 17.5 db and it's fan is only 12 cfm! How they claim 98 cfm for the PSU is beyond me. It should make your wife very happy though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Oh well as long as its quiet, works and doesnt heat my case up like an oven I dont mind. Ive got Thermaltake Bach vx vf4000bws to fit it to so lets hope that they work well together?
    $99 works out quite cheap with the exchange, not sure what shipping and even import taxes would work out at tho?

You people on here are great with information, I was to say the least very daunted about clocking my pc but know I have such a wealth of experience to draw from makes things seem a little easier.
    Thankyou

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    I just put the stock Intel cooler on the CPU and the MB temp went up 6C. With the Freezer 7 Pro installed it didn't go up at all. The stock cooler doesn't blow any air over the Northbridge heat sink. The case my D-940 is going in has a Thermaltake Thunderblade 74 cfm case fan so it should be no problem.

One tiny thing about this PS is that it goes well overboard on connections and the cables are a bit on the long side and somewhat stiff. I don't use the very top 2 5.25" bays so I store the excess in there all nicely zip-tied together. My computer sits on my conventional office desk and the wall is about 8" behind it and you don't hear the PS at all as it's damn near silent. Just a little whisper of sound and not the least bit annoying. Heavy sucker too and very well made!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. tinytom

tinytom Guest

-> THEONEJRS

As long as the psu is quiet, well made and works well then I will be happy. The cable sleeving makes it look very nice too, Ive got half a bag of cable ties trying to keep mine tidy as its all just bare wires at the moment.
    Cant wait for the postman!

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's why I prefer modular power supplies. not as much clutter or as many wire ties.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    With my computer being so high with it sitting on the desktop (Mid Tower) I used the 3rd and 5th bays for my optical drives. The side benefit is that it leaves me some place convienent to store the excess cables! LOL!! They lay very neatly on top of the DVD-Rom drive out of the way and pretty much out of sight!

I should be building my new one by next weekend at the latest. I'm getting all excited! The last 2 items were ordered yesterday and should be here Wednesday or Thursday! Version 1.33 of the DS3 looks like a winner!

Beat Regards,
    Russ

8. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Heloo:)
    I just builded my new pc , its Asus P5b Deluxe, E6600 , Corsair xm2s 1024 GB cas5 800hmz memory , with power supplie ocz gamextream 700 watt, and graphic evga 8600 GT ,also case ninehundred , and ac freezer 7 pro cpu fan ,im wondering if i should oc now or wait until im gonna get another stick of memory , and im not sure with what should i start its my first build ever , and im gonna oc for a first time :) ,

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol Russ no wonder your power supply seems quiet, you wouldn't hear it over the roar of a 74CFM case fan.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

pszczoll;

You got a great set up to start out with. Did you already mount the CPU? If not look into "AR5 (Artic Silver No. 5) and break it in 1st.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my current build lasted 3 days at stock speeds before i started to play with it.
    1st day i put it together all ok till i found out the onboard nic was broke.
    2nd day returned to shop for new mobo, that afternoon i refitted all the heatsinks, added a fan to the nb, put it all back together make sure all was well.
    3rd day got it up to 3.ghz which was my main goal.
    7th day got it upto my so far max 3.3ghz.
    i couldnt wait to play but thats just me.

12. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Yes i did put cpu , pc is working ok , my iddle tmp is 29C for cpu , and 24C for motherboard , i also did put an additional fan for heat sink on my motherboard , so everythink is ok, but now i dont know how to start overclocking.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those are excellent temperatures, time to get started!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have the Thermaltake as a spare. The fan in th C/M is only 44 cfm. Besides the Thermaltake Thunderblade is a ball bearing 78 cfm fan and only 21.4 db at full rpms. I would put that in mine only if heat were an issue. I don't expect that to happen.

Right now it's so quiet that I can barely hear the 80mm side fan less than 3 feet from my ear. As long as my stock fan doesn't rev up to max, it's very quiet, barely a whisper.

Happy Computering,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

21.4dB according to Thermaltake. I have an Antec Tri-cool 73CFM fan and also a Thermaltake Thunderblade, they make a similar amount of noise, the Antec being slightly louder. The Antec got 36dB at SilentPCreview, therefore I'd put the Thermaltake at 33 at the very least. Thermaltake rate nearly every fan they sell at 21dB, it just isn't true, not even at 6V, let alone 12.
    Put it this way, the best case fans available break 21dB at no more than around 1000rpm. 30dB is at no more than about 1600.

16. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Yes time go get started!!! .....

ok what first how when and where im completely newb in overclocking and i dont want to fry my pc =)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Remember when you bought the Thunderblade and complained about how loud it was. I put mine in the accustic chamber at work and at max rpm it was 23.4 db. The accuracy of the accustic pickups is + or - 1db. It's so sensitive that it will pick up normal speech at about 10 feet with the door closed! Usually we use it for testing in the 65 to 85 db range so outside noise is not a problem. It's essentially a large box lined completely on the inside with accoustic material and has 3 pickups. The door had accoustic seals and a compression latch. By the orientation of the noise and by triangulation you can tell where the actual noise is coming from as you read the display so you know where to attack the problem to make a handpiece or air turbine quieter. It's many thousands of dollars of equipment and I'm only 1 of 3 people allowed to even touch it. I still say your Thunderblade had a problem as I had mine about 3 feet from my ear and while you could hear it running, it was very quiet. Even the ceiling fan was louder and completely masked the sound from the computer.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

pszczoll,

lets shoot for 3.0ghz 1st since I don't know how OC friendly the new C2D's are. you can always try for 3.2ghz or higher later. 3.0 ghz will be about 333mhz cpu frequency but you need to make some other settings 1st.

Jumper Free Configuration:

set AI overclocking to manual
    set PCI express frequency to 100
    set PCI clock to 33.33
    set CPU Vcore to 1.3500, at least for now.

reboot

take your cpu frequency up a little at a time (25 or 30mhz) between reboots untill you reach 333. keep your dram freguency as close to 800mhz as possible each time you bump up the cpu frequency.

just so you know, you're on your own if something happens. I take no responsibility.

19. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

thanks for 1st steps :) , im gonna start tommorow after work , and now good night :).

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

pszczoll;

Since this is a new build for you, I would not go streight for overclocking everything all at once. While the 3 major parts you have have a great rep on other builds, they can OC slightly different on yours. So my advice, OC 1 item at a time, leaving the 2 others out of the test for stability. This way you can find the ceiling hight of each CPU, RAM & of corse mobo. At the end, put them all together and that's you Overclock sweet spot

Start with the CPU & keep the RAM in 1:1 (set as DDR533) with manual loose timings at normal volts. I'd do it like this since the mobo has the best rep and we all sean what it can do, and the Corsair RAM is gonna' keep up easily w/ most Core 2 Duos. Use only 2 sticks in the biginning (2x1024 is fine on !965).

Meanwhile, do get yourself comfortible with the various settings on the P965 chipset. Everything above said is fine to start. Good luck