1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    You are correct, he has an EVGA 680i. I checked with him! My mistake!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. insaneo

insaneo Member

What Motherboard meets these simple requirments???

Need 2 UDMA connectors on MB (4 drives)
    Need some SATA too
    Need IEEE1394
    Needs to overclock E4300 like a banshee

Any suggestios???????

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

All the latest boards are moving mainly towards SATA support, finding 4x IDE drive support won't be easy especially if you want oc the E4300 to anything near it's potential.
    You instead either just replace the IDE drives with SATA keeping them as backup drives or add IDE to SATA convertors to the drives and plug them direct into SATA ports.

4. insaneo

insaneo Member

Okay, I might concede on the 2 UDMA connectors (I have a UDMA PCI card I can use-I was just hoping not to need it), but what about CHEAPEST kick-ass overclocker with IEEE1394???

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

DS3 or P5B would be the ones to go for.

Plenty of cheaper boards, but then you won't get the OC potential.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually I don't recall the Ds3 having IEEE1394. Could have been updated though I suppose.

7. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

To BigDK , actually i was waiting until you gonna show on forum :). I was hoping that you gonna be able to help me with overclocking my new build. Im running it right now it work good. My spec are :
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
    Motherboard Name Asus P5B Deluxe (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Broadwater P965
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB)
    1gb Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 (second one is comming tommorow)
    I updated to newest bios. its ver.1004

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

cough cough.

i have that chip running at 3ghz 24/7 in a cheap as chips asus p5n e sli(it has all the features you are looking for). i can get mine upto 3.3ghz but thats when mine runs out on me. not that i mind, its + 80% from its stock 1.8ghz and in my book thats a good oc

the abit fatality fp in9 sli (lacks firewire) would most likley get my money if a bought another today, you can get them for around £70, it has the same nf650 chpset as mine but it has more robust cooling already fitted which sould make it easier to oc with.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, It's built, tweaked and running at 3.0GHz. I'm happy! Never thought I would fall in love with a motherboard, but I have! This thing is the Cat's Meow! Oh Yeah, it idles at 32-33C and doesn't hit 48 while encoding!

Here's the Math

[​IMG]

Here's the Memory Bandwidth

[​IMG]

Multi-Media

[​IMG]

Not too bad at all for 3.0GHz.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats got the cpu working better than ginas but your bandwidth is less.

nice going tho, 32000 mips at 3ghz is 4000 over mine.

the intel chipset is also quicker clcok for clock in superpi.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    Opps! Wromg one! This is more like it!

[​IMG]

Sorry, I didn't realize I had sent the wrong file. That was the before!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've had another look at the DS3 range, and indeed most do n ot have firewire support, currently the DS3P is the only one that does support firewire.

My mistake>

Apparently the DS3P is supposed to have sorted all the issues on the earler versions a well as addressing the lack of FW and Crossfire support.

If DS3 was the choice then DS3P would be the way to go.

Marsey99, it would be interesting to see what speed your CPU got to on the 965 or 975 chipset, it would probably be higher than what you can reach on the nforce board.
    Plus as you've already seen the general performance in areas of memory are better on the Intel chipset boards.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i too would like to see if it is my cpu or mobo that is falling over at 3.3ghz but untill i can swap one out i will never know. the next thing i will be getting will be a gpu so it will most likly be q3/4 before i think about swapping these 2 and hopfully the q6600 will be within my price range buy then and i might get another mobo then depending on what deals are on offer. then i could use the left over bits to knock together a desktop for my misses, but then that might drain the funds from a bigger screen so....

i have been talking with russ about this and his results have shown the opposit. he is getting higher scores on the cpu but lowwer scores for the mem at the same clocks.

to me that seemed to indicate that the 965 chipset which had its design dictated by intel would make the most of the cpu and show it in its best light. wereas the nforce chipsets are going to try to make nvidias own products look as good as possible and the extra mem bandwidth will aid this as games(read graphics card) will gain more from this extra bandwidth.

these are the results from ginas boardwhich show what i mean if you compare them to those above.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or mine from 2 weeks ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they both show lowwer cpu scores and higher mem bandwidth?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    That's where her's ran bullet proof. It did everything I asked (and I asked a lot!)and never gave me any trouble no matter whether I was asking it to run OCCT for 12 hours. It didn't matter. I think the biggest problem with the P5N-E is the bios is right where the GigaByte's were, 5 or 6 months ago. That, and the settings are way too tight! I guess you could say that there's no forgiveness in the settings. Not very much anyway!

This, was the most enjoyable build I've ever done! And, I still haven't figured out all the things in the bios yet. This is one hell of a motherboard!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. steddy_ed

steddy_ed Member

Hi all - this is my first post on this forum, I've been reading this thread for a while and it looks like there's a lot of knowledgable people hanging out here!

I'm doing a budget rebuild and I recently ordered a E4300, P5N-E SLI, and 2 x 1GB PC6400 RAM. I'm an overclocking newb, never really bothered with it before, but seeing the extra performance you can squeeze out of a budget cpu like the E4300 I reckon I'll give it a try.
    So if anyone could post their BIOS settings for an overclock on this setup I'd be grateful (I see sammorris has a similar build..:)
    Any other advice you could give me about the P5N-E SLI (hope I made the right choice there) or overclocking in general will of course be well appreciated..
    Thanks in advance!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use that motherboard and processor and that type of RAM and get good results (67% overclock)with not too much effort, you just have to play around and find the settings that work, it's not immediately obvious.

17. steddy_ed

steddy_ed Member

If I used the BIOS same settings as you have done on your E4300/P5N-E SLI setup, would I get the same results or do the settings depend on the BIOS revision and the rest of the hardware setup?

Not that I wanna just copy all your hard work! But as I said I'm a newbie to this overclock business so some guidelines / examples would be handy to help get my head round it...

can anyone point me to some good guides/tutorials? All the ones I've come across so far seem a bit dated

cheers

18. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

BigDK,
    From what i remember you did owned Asus P5b Deluxe ? , maybe im wrong.
    I need to know what exactly i should disable in bios before overclocking, also if im gonna overclock 1 item in time from what should i start.

I got 1gb of memory and another stick is comming tomorrow, i dont want to oc before im not gonna check the performance of my build with 2gb of ram. I and than im gonna make decision how long i want oc , (im sure that im not gonna go max, on air).

19. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

I just checked something, and sisoft sandra show my mainboard temperatur e 65C , after some restart , 113C ? can that be true?

everest temp on motherboard is 28C.

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

download speedfan and if 2 of the 3 match up go with them.

of those 2 progs i would belive everest first but its always nice to get a second opinion.

edit
    add link

also try asus pc probe its their own temp software.

Last edited: May 3, 2007