1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd be tempted to believe everest. The latter result makes sense.
    I find speedfan is the least reliable for temperatures actually. Everest usually gets it right.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

After everything was all set up, I went back and set the memory at4-4-4-12. Also compared to mine, Gina's only has 1GB (2x512) of memory while I have 2GB (2x1gb). Here's the benches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost a little mips but picked up some memory bandwidth and the multi-media score went up a little bit. It seems more responsive and quicker.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i did download speedfan and it shows aux temperature 119C , what is that exactly? , i turned my case fans speeds to medium from high and temperature jumps 19C , 112C , 102C .... why its like that?.
    maybe some voltages in bios are wrong , i didnt change anything in bios tho,

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a bug, it's probably picking up a reading from something that isn't a temperature monitor. In my instance, Aux is the CPU temperature, and the CPU temperature is just rubbish because it says 40C permanently.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv got 2 mystry temps, everst says my cpu is always 25c and speedfan gives me a aux that is always 40c.

try pc probe its asus own temp software and gets all mine right and ignores the others.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

PC Probe gave me correct temperatures, but the fan speed recording was just laughable. Everest has got all the temperatures as correct, just given one the wrong label.

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

pass, both everest and pc probe give me the same fan speeds although everest give my cpu as an aux.

none of them a perfect, pc probe gets temps and speeds right but no control over fan speed/ everest gets temps mixed up but once you figure which is which thats no biggie but still no fan speeds and speedfan gives odd names till you find out which temp is which (then you can lable them as you wish) it gets the fans speeds miles off but it gives you the options to change the speed.

i used all 3 at first and now i have speedfan setup right its ok my only isuue is the fan speed is miles off.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have exactly the same issues as you. The CPU is Aux in everest, but correct in speedfan. The speed monitor is bugged, but the speed change is useful. I want to control my heatsink physically not using software, as it means it will run quietly when my PC is still booting up. QFan doesn't drop the fan speed sufficiently for my liking (1800rpm, vs the 900rpm minimum speedfan gives). Unfortunately the fan cable is too short to do this, and I can't extend it as it's a 4-pin PWM cable. I'm contemplating cutting the PWM part of the plug off.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

pszczoll I would remove asus probe if you have that installed, as it can affect results with other tools on occassions.
    Yes I do have the P5B Deluxe, thats what my current PC is using, at the moment its running with a 1640 fsb, as until I get a better cooler for the CPU I can't be bothered to push it so its running 410x6.

As for the memory statement, I must have misread what was posted before.

I'll do some test with my PC when its fully setup, nearly there with it.

10. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Ok i did turned off my pc , and i was checking motherboard, just touching it is some places to check temps, and nothing was hot. so im gonna check it with some other software , or just ignore it.

To my memory , its Corsair 2x1GB Corsair CM2X1024-6400Pro 800MHZ 1.9v and standard timmings on Corsair website for that memory model are 5-5-5-12.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

psczoll,

did you get your other stick of memory? is your memory running dual channel?

12. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Hey :). I just installed it . and CPU-Z shows me dual channel . How can i check it in different way if its dual channel or not?

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if cpu-z says dual channel then you're good to go. sandra should also tell ya.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  15. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

I allready got it :p, but thanks anyway:). I installed today second 1gb stick of memory (for dual channel) but i didnt really got any "boost" . Maybe because i did put it in wrong slot? .

there are 4 slots for memory in Asus P5B Deluxe

Channel A :
    DIMM_A1 (yellow) DIMM_A2 (black)
    Channel B :
    DIMM_B1 (yeloow) DIMM_B2 (black)

My first stick of memory is in DIMM_A1 (yellow) slot, and the new one that i got today i did put in DIMM_B1 (yellow), because of collors :p.
    Should I put new one stick into DIMM_A2 (black) ? for real dual channel ?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Phew, I think it's time for a case change for my gaming PC. I love the look of my case, and loads of its features, but it just doesn't have what it takes to quietly cool my PC. My CPU and PSU fan are at max, and the CPU tops 57C in games. Motherboard temp is above 50, as are two of the hard disks (but then they're in low noise enclosures). The main problem here is the room is hot as hell, not much ventilation.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

pszczoll,
    Keep the memory sticks in the same coloured slots for dual channel.
    You can experiment by testing for max memory speed in the yellow slots and then switch to the black slots and see if you can get an improvement or not.

18. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,

Thats not good:(

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're telling me, it's not just the PC that suffers from high temperatures. I'm currently using my thermaltake thunderblade as a makeshift desk fan.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,

Good to see your utilizing your spare parts...LOL!!!