1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh definitely, one of my ambitions is to make a desk fan out of all the spare case fans I have around, in my quest for lower noise I've got loads of spares. I was also surprised to note that the screaming stock fan from my X1900 made half the noise when it wasn't attached to the heatsink. Obviously some severe vibration issues there. I figured it out before because the loudest frequency wasn't equal to the frequency of the blades (i.e. 29 blades x 5000rpm would give a frequency of about 2.5Khz, and it was nowhere near that high). Aren't I sad? lol

2. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,

Getting back to your quest for a quieter pc,
    I wonder if placing a piece of carpet underneath your pc and maybe in the bottom of your case may help to absorb some noise??
    Just a thought.Could be a cheap solution.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You know me, I don't always think conventionally. After I was satisfied with the performance I decided to go into the setup and turn on C1E (Thermal Management) and Gigabyte's implementation of cpu smart fan control. I then processed the same DVD I did yesterday with DVDRB/CCE. Two things became apparent. The ReBuilder time was exactly the same and the computer is much quieter. Didn't hurt my benchmarks at all and raised my memory bandwidth a good bit to boot, to 6300+ MB/s. Much better balance of temperatures across the board. For the most part the CPU Fan (PWM controlled) runs around 1200 to 1500 RPM. Even while encoding it rarely goes to 2000. CPU temperatures are actually lower. CPU runs at 2.0 idling but kicks right up as high as 3.4GHz when loaded down. Before I forget it, here's a CPU-Z shot of it loaded down running Prime 95!

[​IMG]
    Here it is at idle. I like it!
    [​IMG]

I'm happy!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nice job Russ. the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I do like that 3.36GHz as that's right at a 90% OC, it just doesn't run at that speed all the time, only when needed! This motherboard is amazing. The only real thing I don't like about it is you can't un-link the memory like you can on the P5N-E. Then again I haven't discovered any Black Holes either, at any speed! I also bumped the CIA-2 up to Racer )level 3) and got it to run without crashing. It passes 12 hours of OCCT and numerous runs with Prime 95. That's why the extra .36GHz. Turns out that the fan control can better control the temps than everything running full speed and a lot quieter in the process. I Like!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that settles it. Whilst you may need good memory to go far with the DS3, any serious overclocker does, and with the P5N-E, regardless of how good the memory is, it's not so easy to overclock. There were comments suggesting you should only ever use G-Skill with the DS3s, any word on what corsair is like with them?

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,

Your cpu-z is showing a lower voltage @ 3366mhz(1.408v) than at 2004mhz(1.440v)??

Moral of the story...........Don't trust the voltage readings from cpu-z!!!

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I too like that feature. I tried enabling intel speedstep technology on my mobo hopeing it would lower the multiplier at idle but it made no difference. still 9x all the time.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'll second that. my vcore is set at 1.4250. cpu-z jumps from 1.175 - 1.408. everest ultimate edition shows 1.40 - 1.42.

10. crowy

crowy Guest

Mort81,
    Have you tried core temp for monitoring cpu temps?
    http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

It's the most accurate one Iv'e used.

The temps are within 2 degrees of the bios readings at idle and voltages
    are spot on.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I noticed mine dropped to 6. I guess the control via CPU control is linear! for both the fsb and multiplier!

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

crowy,

just installed it. what is VID and Tjunction?

13. crowy

crowy Guest

vid is the voltage that is stored in your voltage regulator module (vrm) on your mainboard so that when you turn on the pc your cpu gets the right volts before the bios takes over.

Tjunction is explained here:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/howitworks.html

14. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ok peeps Ive decided on the Asus Comando Mobo, gets here tuesday!

Now all the fun and games starts!
    Are there any write ups on here explaining exatly what all the settings mean? I understand my cpu is 2.8ghz stock and ram is 667mhz stock and I want to increase this but whats the mhz settings? Is this how much Im over clocking it and whats ram timings?
    I am a beginner and admit this, Im here to try and learn something new from more experienced computer fetlers!

Im actually looking to bump my cpu up to 3.4+ and as much as I can FSB/and ram mhz with out frying the lot?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

tinytom,

I'm assuming the multiplier will be 14x but it would be good to know exactly what cpu you have (pentium D 820, PD 915, PD 920, etc).

16. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

@BigDK, could you help me with overclocking my Asus P5b Deluxe? , i dont want to go max on air, about 3.0Ghz ~ 3.2Ghz , I got AC Freezer 7 Pro cpu fan.

Im not sure what should i change i mean disable in bios , before changing parameters that are gonna overclock, and than do i need to change any voltage? .

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I run 3Ghz with a Freezer 7 pro on my E6300. The temperatures are fine when the room is a reasonable temperature and the case fans are on high. Having a fanless GPU underneath it, being in a hot room, and running the case fans on low causes it to get a bit warm, but are you surprised?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

psczoll,

disable everything under CPU CONFIGURATION except modify ratio and microcode updation. you can enable those two if you like. you must disable enhance C1 control and EIST (enhanced intel speedstep technology) to allow for vcore increase.

I already told you where and how to set the settings in JUMPER FREE CONFIGURATION.

19. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

ok i did it , i disabled everything i needed , changed cpu vcore for 1.3500. pci 100 , pci clock 33.33, and cpu frequency for 30 every restart. evertyhing was ok until i got 333 fsb. pc booted but it freezed on windows welcome screen and it restarted. before that temps were ok , cpu was 30~32, mobo was 26. on iddle and on orthos cpu was 42 and mobo was 27, all temps in celcius.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

is the dram frequency set at 667mhz? you may need to up the vcore a notch or two.