1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Mort81,

I noticed from your signature that you have a computer with many of the same core components as the one I am going to get. If you don't mind my asking, how does it run(performance) and was it difficult to OC to 3.6Ghz?

Thanks.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

eparker89,

it performs most excellent. this E6600 even at stock speed (2.4ghz) blows the doors off my old P4 3.4ghz rig (almost twice as fast). this cpu wasn't hard at all to OC to 3.6ghz but from what I understand the new ones aren't nearly as OC friendly, reaching only 3.0 - 3.2ghz.

I'm anxious to chat with someone that has a new E6600 and some OC know how to find out just exactly how OC friendly the new ones are.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trouble is, what with the reduced overclocking potential, everybody's probably nervous about buying them...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I think I've arrived at the best stable combination I can get at 3.250GHz. I thought it was good at 3.3GHz but it craashed during the "Re-Build from Hell". A series DVD that I bought! 63 minutes to encode this monster, 77 minutes total! There's 7 1/2 hour eppisodes on this DVD! Total frames for this DVD were staggering. Most of the VOBs were more than 11,000+ frames It only took me three tries before it wouldn't crash 3/4 way through it. Wasn't temperatures, but since I wasn't about to raise the CPU voltage any more than 1.38v I more sensibly lowered the speed to an 81% OC. Amazing 12 hours of OCCT didn't kill it, but DVDRB/CCE did! Here's the Cpu-z!

[​IMG]

I'm still pretty happy with it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

Ken just ordered a Q6600. it'll be interesting to see how high he can get it on water.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That would be an interesting one to compare.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

that is a bit strange. I can't run OCCT very long with my vcore set where it is but I can encode anything with rb/cce (or HC with multiple encoder processes and that makes both cores run at 99 - 100% most of the time) no problem including a couple of 15gb folders (2 episodic dvds I merged with DRMP) I compressed to fit on a dvd9 which took 157 minutes including building an iso but did not include burn time since I burn my DL dvd's at 2.4x and that alone can take about 40 - 45 minutes.

the average folder, about 6.5gb, will take around 50 minutes including building an iso and burning.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Well, I'm disappointed that the OC ability has been reduced that much, but never the less I'm still going to get it. When I get the whole rig assembled in about a month I'll let you know how the OCing goes.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I just bought "Night at the Museum" and it's 6.7GB. It took 43 minutes!

There were 41 VOBs all together, most of them over 11,000 frames. The only thing that seemed to slow down was the encoding time of 63 minutes. Both the preparation (2 min) and the rebuild (12 min) are normal times with maybe a minute more on the rebuild!

The CPU cracked 45C once the whole encode in a 26-27C room. I added a 40mm fan to the heatsink. Doesn't lower the temp very much, about 1-2C! What it does do is take the heat from the heat sink and get's it away from the processor as the Freezer 7 Pro overhangs the heat sink. It now runs 36-37C compared to 37-38 and the temps are much cooler all around! It runs stable no matter what I run!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

not to argue but that can not include building the iso and burn time. that would mean rb/cce did its thing in just over 30 minutes. mine won't do that at 3.6ghz.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marty,
    Most take me under an hour, but I don't make ISOs. Encode time for NATM was 29 minutes! I was thinking of getting a 750GB external sata drive just for DVDs! You could store the output folder from DVDRB and store about 150+ Movies. Set up a little menu program to access them easy and I wouldn't even need to burn them!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I set rb/cce up to build an iso and burn automatically unless I'm doing a dvd9. I figure another 12 - 14 miutes on average to build the iso and burn. I'll run NATM through rb/cce without building an iso or burning when I get it to compare.

that's all I use my 300gb hdd for is to store movies. it's about full.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

don't know that I've ever seen anything like that. looks like quit the deal for dvd storage. dial a dvd.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@pszczoll
    You do not want to increase the fsb at this point at all.
    You've now got a stable fsb of 1600 with the memory running at its correct speed, and the cpu still at it stock speed make a note of the system temps and write them down.

Now just change to cpu multiplier to x7 and reboot leaving everything as it is.

If you boot into windows thats fine, see how it performs and if you can run some tests.

Look at cpu-z or Everest and se what it says the cpu is using, it will show slightly less than 1.4v.

If everything works fine, then just note any settings for future reference.
    Also make a note of the system temps, you're especially interested in the motherboard temp and the cpu temp.

If the system boots ok but then becomes unresponsive or crashes when pushed, then you will need to adjust the voltage on the cpu, take it up one level from the 1.4, and see if that then cures any issues at that speed and stabilizes the system.

Once that is done, you can take the system up to 3.2 by increasing the multiplier to x8, but again you will need to see if more voltage is required by the cpu, and you'll need to keep and eye on temperatures.

Remember its not the voltage that the cpu needs its the current, but that can only increase with increased voltage.

At least now you're able to concentrate on the cpu without having to guess if the memory, fsb is what is pulling the system down.

Eventually you'll get to a point where you either don't want to or can't go any further with the CPU.

I think that you'll probably find the cpu will perform as good as the older ones meaning 3.0ghz is more than possible.
    E6600 number 1 for me has been over 4.0 but the heat got too much, E6600 number 2 of mine is soon to be tested, I'll crnk it up a bit today and see what it does, but i can't stress test it with the stock cooler on it.

As with all things, the e6600 etc.. has got a reputation of its OC performance, and as such loads of not so clever would be overclockers have gone out and bought it, all expect to just plug it in and start reaching the same levels as those original users.

All the less profficient OC's would have been buying cheaper cpu's but now its become more affordable, they are getting it and having issues which they would have had no matter what cpu they ended up with.

This is just a fact of life, but it starts to feed back into the system and before you know it, something that had a brilliant reputation has a tainted one.

I was guilty of listening to the feedback on the new e6600, but it now seems that its just as it was before 'there are good batches and poor batches' some will oc far better than others.

There's no 100% guarantee you've got a V.good one, but getting over 3.0Ghz should be easy, you've got some really good components to work with which is one mistake people make, they buy some good bits and then ruin it all by using crap parts with them and making the whole thing less stable.

Also make a note of the cpu model number etc..., if you use cpuz then take a screen shot of the main tab.
    I then see what rev, stepping etc... you ended up with.

You can take screen shots with windows screen print, just select thje cpuz window and use alt+printscreen (prtsc/sys req).
    Otherwise use a program such as snagit (my choice) there is a free trial you can use on that one. PM me if you need any extra help with the program.

Next use somewhere like photobucket to upload the image to, you can then copy the link from there and use it in the thread.
    Photobucket will use the following [IMG..] httpxxxxxx[/IMG..] which you need to change to [img..] xxxxx[/img...]

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  17. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

I cant believe it , now with those settings and that voltage the temps are lower than before , i mean there are same on multiplayer 6 and 7 ,
    [​IMG]
    From Everest:
    Temperatures iddle
    Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
    CPU 28 °C (82 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 20 °C (68 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 21 °C (70 °F)
    GPU 42 °C (108 °F)
    WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 28 °C (82 °F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 2637 RPM
    Chassis #2 3771 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.35 V
    +3.3 V 3.30 V
    +5 V 5.02 V
    +12 V 12.46 V
    +5 V Standby 4.99 V
    Temperatures on orthos (i dont know why orthos reads my cpu speed 3600Mhz)
    Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
    CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 35 °C (95 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 35 °C (95 °F)
    GPU 42 °C (108 °F)
    WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 24 °C (75 °F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 2679 RPM
    Chassis #2 3771 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.34 V
    +3.3 V 3.28 V
    +5 V 4.99 V
    +12 V 12.46 V
    +5 V Standby 4.99 V

18. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

[​IMG]

something happened when i changed multiplayer from 7 to 8 , i changed only multiplayer .
    buss speed went down from 400 to 321, and rated fsb from 1600 to 1284.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Set it back to 400 fsb and up the volatge on the cpu to 1.45 and see wht happens, also make sure none of the other settings have changed.

It looks like it didn't like something and has knocked it back.

What BIOS version are you using?

20. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i got the 1004 bios version , and now i see on asus website that there are two neweest versions, im running it right now on multiplayer x7 like i posted before. im gonna change voltage right away and check out whats gonna happen.