1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    2 things. How do you like the noise (???) level of the Thermaltake PS and I guess the answer to your question of the Asus or the GigaByte MB with the E4300 is answered!

Best Regards,
    theone

2. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ok peeps I have the asus Comando on order now to allow me to start clocking, and a D820 chip at present.
    Whats the difference between the 'd' range and the core2duo range and is it woth upgrading...? I was thinking of buying new to make a completely new build and let me sell my old Pc std and intact.

3. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

How do you lot get such low temps on your motherboad and cpu's? my mother boards around 45c when idle and my cpu is 30 and still at factory settings only had the system for a view days! how would i got about overclock without raising my temps to much especially my motherboards.

Intel core 2 duo E6600
    ASUS P5W DH

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    I think it is. Keeping the D for a backup computer is probably a good idea. It's worth more to you that way than what you would get selling it. The major parts cost me under $500! MB, CPU, memory and 7600GT were $456 + tax and shipping! Everything else is relatively cheap.

Best Regards,
    theone

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@humzaSM

You could start by putting a small fan on the chipset heatsink.
    That will drop the temp by a few degrees.

If you still struggle to get the temps down, then consider removing the nb chipset heatsink and after cleaning it, replace the compound with AS5 or similar.

Adding an after market cpu cooler will control the temp on the cpu.

@tinytom

The Pentium D and Core 2 CPUs are different designs, the Intel Core 2 Duo is based on a new processor architecture as such the core 2 just works better than a comparible P4D CPU.

6. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i changed the voltage on cpu to 1.425 on multiplayer 8 and now it freeze at those settings when i try to boot xp , should i update my bios to the newest version?.

and my main pci express work on 1x mode ,

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

pszczoll,
    I ran into the same problem. I had it set to PCI as my choices were PCI or PEG. I set it to PCI not knowing what PEG was. It should have been PEG which I enabled and got my 16x! Check your setup!

Happy Computering
    theone

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@pszczoll,

You should have a plan up front as to what you want out of your OC. Is it just for fun (braggin' rights - most common, but OK) like most just wanna do, or is it for performance? I choose a daily stable performance number cruncher. I think you said you're not a gamer, so stable performance might be your aim. So think more about high FSB bandwidth as oppoesd to CPU clock (especiallly in the C2D's).

I know you have spacific forum users you preffer to use for help but as per my experience with the E6600, you won't get the same CPU core clock at the 9x as with the 6x but it is a good ref point to know. So it is OK to shoot for max stable clock at 9x then compare with @ 6x and feel for the sweet spot with apps you use or like. You run a lot of synthetic apps to throw numbers at you , but if you are here as a noob, then these are just that, "numbers". Basically a score sheet for the Gamers as most of the apps use areas of the CPU as if they were games and 3D apps. And not to mention, since I last looked (few months), not too many out there to really fairlly test the Core 2 Duo, let alone dual core in general or 64 bit for that matter.

So better to do as the fella earlier did, use apps you know to compare and judge for yourself, not others synthetic scores. They do make for OK refs points, but you should learn the terms and follow the same test bed set ups to make worth anything fair. (Mobo, BIOS, CPU, RAM, OS, GPU, PSU, drivers, firmware, etc.).

9. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Actually i am a gamer , (pretty good) :p, but im new in ocverclocking and i dont want to pick people thats gonna help me , its just some of them told me some time ago that they are gonna help me when im gonna build new pc.

now im stuck with oc , cannot go further with multiplayers im on 7 , with 400 buss speed , and fbs to memory 1:1, cpu voltage is 1.400 i tried bigger but same thing happens , NB core voltage is 1.65 im not sure what is wrong.

10. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

Guys my bios have nothing about my processor that i can change

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

pszczoll,
    I have the same problem on my GigaByte MB and my E4300. I would be happy with 3.20GHz with an 8x multiplier. Then I could set the fsb to 400. That should raise the fsb to 1600 and the memory to 800 which should be perfect. It fails everytime no matter what I set the memory to. It just won't run at that setting!

Best Regards,
    theone

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I haven't used the 1004 bios, as so far there are no issues with using the 0910, a as far as I can see there are no fixes that will be of any use to me at the moment.

I was on 1004 but had to roll back using an old version of the asus dos bios program, as normal roll back is no longer supported in 1004 bios onwards.

PEG is PCI E Graphics, you're not using PCI so make sure it has PEG selected.

If I undertand correctly we now have gone gone from the PC not booting at 400 x8 to booting and freezing, this was by adding a bit more voltage.

Looks like you need to add more voltage to get it to boot, chances are you'll need 1.45 or more.

I'm only going to say what I would do, and you have to decide what you're happy doing as it's your kit.

But as this is the overclocking thread, I'm surprised to see negative comments being piped in here and there.

Its true you need a full idea of where you want to get to, as I will naturally try and take your system to it's limit and let you then decide where you want to run it from there.

The whole idea of overclocking IMO is to see what you can get out of the equipment, and then work out what is safest for the kit within that overclock achieved, if however all you want is a modest increase then fine just take it safe and easy.

If you don't feel comfortable pushing your equipment past a modest increase, then just let me know and I'll bow out from here and leave the others to it.

There are no guarantees with overclocking, and you do need to be slightly brave and slightly mad to get a very good oc.

If nothing else, you've got the memory working correctly, the fsb running faster and the cpu upped by 0.4Ghz not bad for almost no effort at all, but theres plenty left there to be had if you want it.

13. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

BigDK

would overclocking with the right settings keep the temps stable?
    sorry for any inconvenience im new to OC just wanna know what happens and how to do it.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your temperatures are getting too high, then that's going to be a limiting factor of your overclock, regardless of your settings. Reducing how far you go will help control that, but any temperature-related issues concern insufficient cooling rather than the wrong settings.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The temps will be stable within the idle and full load range.

However the temperatures could still be too high.

How far you can go, will depend a lot on the amount of heat you can effectively dissipate from the CPU and chipset.

If you only ever intend to use stock cooling, then you have to be realistic about how far you can go.

Too much heat on the chipset not only starts to make it far more possible that it will get damaged, but will result in errors and instability.

Too much heat on the CPU, likewise you’re in for the same problems.

My chipset is running between 24 and 31`C depending on load, but that is very cool for this board.

I’ve had a 50% OC E6600 running at 31`C idle, mid 40’s full load, but that again was with good cooling.

If you get into 50’s you’re starting to get warm.
    60’s you’re now pushing it and risk failures at anything over 62.
    70’s you’re now getting too hot for any real long term use IMO and risk serious damage to the CPU (time to change the cooling if you get the mid 60`s+)

16. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

can you reccomend any good cpu and chipset coolers for OC. i have 2 120mm fans one at the front one at back and 1 side intake fan and stock cpu headsink fan.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How far do you want to go? A high performance set would be a Scythe Ninja and Noctua NH-U6, but you'll still get good results with a freezer 7 pro and the standard chipset heatsink.

For reference, my E4300 overclocked 66.7% to 3Ghz has a stability breakpoint of about 57C. Above that and it doesn't crash, but I will get screen flicker in a few games. Upping the CPU fan speed from 25% to as little as 55% solves that issue though, and that's a relatively quiet setting even by my standards!

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  18. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

well at the moment id say i wanna go around 3.2GHz - 3.4GHz

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I actually meant how much are you prepared to spend on cooling? With an E6600 3.4Ghz should be achievable without needing to go high end, unless you have one of the brand new ones, in which case I couldn't say.

20. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

i have about 120 pounds left over from my build so anything within that would be fine. how do i find if my E6600 is one of the new less OC friendly?