1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

i have 2004 ASUS P5W DH BIOS version and PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM [frogot the make].

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The Asus P5WDH is an easy board to OC.
    With the memory you have, you just need to select the following:
    I can't remember the exact order on the board, and the kids are playing on the P5WDH syste.

Manual OC settings.
    1. Disable ‘AI Tuning’
    2. Set PCI Express (PCIe) frequency @100Mhz
    3. Set PCI frequency @33Mhz
    4. Disable Hyperpath 3
    5. Disable ‘spread spectrum’
    6. Disable Q-Fan
    7. Disable ‘Limit CPUID Max to 3’
    8. Disable any overvoltage protection
    9. Disable ‘C1E’
    10. Disable ‘EIST’
    11. Disable Virtualization Technology
    12. Disable No-Execute Memory Protect
    13. Disable any other thing you don’t use
    14. Do not enable any speed enhancements you see

15. Set DRAM/DIMM Voltage (vDIMM) to what is specified by RAM (+0.3V or +0.4V etc...)
    16. Set MCH Voltage (vMCH) to 1.55V
    17. Set FSB Voltage (vFSB) to 1.40V
    18. Increase SB Voltage (vICH) by +0.1V from default-lowest value
    19. Set CPU Voltage (vCore) 1.400V possibly more
    20. Set FSB to 333 Giving x9=2997 for E6600
    21. Set CPU Multiplier to the default value for your CPU x9 E6600

22. Set ‘DRAM Timing’ to disable SPD
    23. In BIOS you will see 4 separate timing digits, change them to the ones specified on your RAM e.g. 4-4-4-12
    24. You can leave others as auto.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

P.S.
    The SPD option is dependant on BIOS version, on older version you need to select SPD timings.

4. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

ok thanks ill give it a go now and let you know in a while
    where would i find the 4 separate timing digits for the RAM

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm sure your bios is very outdated. the latest good bios vs is 1901. cpu-z will tel you which vs you have. look under mainboard.

[​IMG]

cpu-z should also tell you the make of your memory. look under SPD.

[​IMG]

6. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ok you're good to go. last time I checked 2004 was still beta.

8. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

where would i find the 4 separate timing digits for the RAM

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

better set your timings at 5-5-5-15 and most likely 1.8 or 1.9 volts.

10. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

ok im going for it hope it works

11. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

it seems to have worked but i was unable to find DRAM/DIMM voltage! how do you how much to increase the voltage by?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jumper free configuration: memory voltage.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Chances are that the memory will work fine at 1.8V which will be the default.

If you want to run a memory test, then run memtest on the memory, this will show if it okay.

If the system stays stable with the 5-5-5-15 timings and the 1.8V then just leave it alone.

I can't find anything on that memory apart from a German site selling that part number, but it doesn't list the voltage or timings.

Once everything is up and working, you can try and tighten the timings a bit using memset, but for now just get a stable OC at the speed you want.

Also later you'll probably be able to squeeze a bit more from the memory speed wise, so you'll be able to start taking the FSB up from 333 to what ever the memory can handle, you may get as far as 400 FSB depending on what you've got, that will obviously give you a potential of anywhere between the 3.0Ghz you've got and 3.6Ghz, but it will be the memory that drops out before anthing else.

Also to do that, you'll then need to start putting more voltage on it, but as said, thats for another day.

14. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

ill get back to you when i have the heatsink, thermal grease and chipset fan i decided to take my system back to default as the cpu heatsink just isnt up for the job.

15. docTY

docTY Regular member

@humzaSM

if you are considering the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme that Mort81 posted, fear not about mounting issues as i ordered one recently and got it in my hands...the review by Anandtech was using an ES model (engineering sample) but the models shipping in the retail sector (at least here in the U.S.) have been revised and given you have sufficent space in your case, it mounts just fine with the included brackets on E6600 w/ Asus P5WDH (i have that mobo too much like Mort81 and BigDK) :)

i slapped that puppy on my father's system (E6600 + P5WDH-deluxe)over the weekend and i have to say it works exactly as it's advertised to be...i'm using one of my spare Scythe s-flex fans 120mm - the middle model # SFF21E with 49CFM, not the higher one SFF21F that was tested in the review because my dad wants a quiet system, not a highly overclocked performance rig...it's @ 3.4ghz 24/7 operation.

so far so good and i give a "thumbs up" to the newest TR ultra 120 extreme~ it's pricey, but it does deliver and i would personally say after installing it and seeing for myself what it can do, it's a top performance AIR cooler that i would recommend.

Mort81 and BigDK got you covered on the OC'in front w/ that mobo, i just wanted to give you my personal experience on that Thermalright cooler, it works well and if you don't care too much about noise levels, using a higher CFM fan will give you even better cooling capabilities...it all depends how far you want to go and what suits YOUR taste the best. good luck

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At a genuine 23dB and 51CFM, that S-Flex is an excellent match between airflow and performance, especially considering the Thermaltake Thunderblade and the likes can barely push 40% more airflow, at 36dB+.
    I really don't see why people go for fans that are above that sort of level.

17. docTY

docTY Regular member

it depends on the user, i built my father's system with a similar mindset that you have Sam...being as quiet as possible for 24/7 usage while not truly pushing the OC'in levels to the degree i would if it were my own system. :)

when time comes for me to build another rig on AIR for myself, you can bet that i will put a crazy loud fan w/ 110CFMs on full speed on another Thermalright Ultra Extreme (i have a set of 6 SilverStone FM121's that will truly push the limits on air cooling)...different people have different ideal purposes for their builds, i personally could care less about noise being a factor, i push ALL my own builds to the extreme given the hardware i have and utilize; for you, i understand it's about a decent overclock with noise levels being as low as possible for your ideal system.

once i find some time to build it, i'm actually picking up the Zalman HD160XT Home theater enclosure for my living room where noise levels will be as near silent as i can possibly make it (will be using my remaining Scythe fans for this purpose). different build for a different purpose, as the silver enclosure matches perfectly with my current home theater setup and will fit nicely on my component rack w/ the 7" touch-screen digital LCD :) given the high-end hardware i'm going to be using with it, it'll perform it's job nicely and be the quietest PC i've ever built. something that even YOU could be proud of in terms of noise levels, or lack thereof~

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I think the operation was a success! It's in the low 90s today and my room temp has been at about 29-30C for a couple of hours with just the ceiling fan on. The CPU is running at 32C, with a MB temp of 39C. I usually turn on the AC in my room at this point but I decided to see what the temps would be after a few hours. Looks like I won't have any temperature related problems. The Smart Fan Control in the setup works very well in the PWM mode with my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro/PWM. Even as hot as it is in here right now, the HSF is only running 1200 rpm. I've tried other temperature controllers before, but this is the first one I've used that works better than just running the fans at full speed. Much quieter too! Maybe there is something to this PWM control, as it works very well and I'll continue to use it!

With the temperatures getting as high as 115+F during the summer, I may have to turn on the Thermal Management (C1E), but that's OK too as it also works very well. It idles at 2.0GHz but comes right up to 3.25GHz when needed. Encode times remain the same!

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

docTY

thanks for your opinion im will be getting a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme along with three Scythe s-flex fans 120mm hopefully the top model one for the heat sink and the other two replacing my crapy raidmax case fans. hopefully they will work better at cooling the system. ill get back to you in a view days when they have arrived!

20. docTY

docTY Regular member

@humzaSM

sounds like a plan, i really do like the Scythe fans, even though i don't have the highest model/performance one...they are great for keeping the system cool and at a very bearable noise level for those that want a "quieter" PC. i think they will suit your needs just fine, let us know how things turn out for you~