1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My hands down favourite, like any other silent PC enthusiast is the Nexus case fan, but for those who want a bit more than 47CFM, the Scythe S-Flex series is the best option.

2. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

ok i would like go for the limits and performance , even if i will need to change to water cooling and get better memory (if needed) , thats the exactly thing , im new in oc and i want to try it to max , and than chose specified by me settings.

if i would need to change for water coling and different memory what would you recommend? .

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Going for different memory to what you currently have is a bit excessive I think. You're welcome to try watercooling to get better temperatures if you like.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

new ram that is water cooled... 2 birds, 1 stone? not really sure how these oc tbh.

i would cut your teeth on what you have then see were you could improve when you know the limits of what you have.

5. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

Guys my bios have nothing about my processor that i can change

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry xxxbg but which type of mobo?

7. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i got p5b deluxe with new e6600 cpu and 700w psu , ac freezer pro cpu fan , corsair xms2 2x 1gb 6400 pro with heatsink .

8. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

no idea how do i find out

9. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

I think model: 0UW457

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@pszczoll
    A lot of people tend to think water cooling is hard work and dangerous to the system.
    It's actuall very easy to do, and perfectly safe if you take your time and do it slowly and carefully.

If you give me your top budget, I'll put a list of parts together for you.
    You also need to let me know what parts you want to cool, and how you expect to mount the radiator, also whether or not you want passive or active, the latter being cooler (and better) but louder.

You can go for CPU only, or CPU/Chipset/GPU/

Changing the memory will only help you if you want to try and get some way past 3.6Ghz, because then you need to crank the FSB up, and it will help stability by maintaining a 1:1 ratio between CPU and memory.
    The memory you have will likely go to DDR900 with a bit of extra voltage and some slacker timings.
    You can keep the memory cooler by adding the Corsair Airflow fan, it fits over the memory quiet easily.

11. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

I dont have any idea how much those things cost, so im not sure what budget i should get for it , if its gonna be $200 i can get it , if its gonna be more i can get it to :). Cpu is main part that i want to cool , chipset also , im not sure about gpu im gonna probably get one that already got water cooling on it.
    Make list of parts i need , parts that are gonna keep my pc stable when im gonna be on 3.6 and even more , i dont want to get something thats gonna keep my temps pretty good on 3.6 or more but something thats gonna gave me more options for further overclocking. Something good.

about memory im gonna keep what i got now, if im gonna need something faster or something that overclock better im gonna get it later.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

13. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

ordered the parts today should arrive in a fiew days!! :)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

humzaSM,

here is the chipset fan I used on my NB and SB heatsinks. it will take a little ingenuity on your part to mount them to the heatsinks. if I remember right, I used #6 sheetmetal screws to mount the one on the NB HS and #4 machine screws to mount the one on the SB HS. you will need to remove the HS cover plates while you have them off to reseat them with artic silver 5.

they work a charm and move almost twice the air of other 40mm fans. you have your choice of sleeve and heatsink color. they're 3 pin so they'll attach directly to the case fan and power receptacles on the mobo.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

This lot is from FrozenCPU in the States.

I think that some parts are well over priced, but you’ll need to look about to see where do the best deals.
    As you see, it’s not cheap, but I’ll leave it with you to decide what if anything to go with.
    I would however advise away from buying a pre-built kit.
    The Swiftech kit is $250, this lot would be about $280 if you went for a cheaper reservoir, cheaper if you just do the CPU not the chipset as well.

CoolingWorks CoolRad-32T Triple 120mm Radiator $64
    This is about the cheapest I could find, and it does have the barbs pre-fitted.

Swiftech MCB-120™ Revision 2 "Radbox" Radiator/Fan Housing – Black $20
    This will allow you to mount the radiator on the rear of the case using the rear fan mount screw holes.

XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir – Black $60
    I get this for £15, so why they are charging $60 I haven’t goy a clue.
    You can do without a reservoir altogether but then you’ll need to get the filler port listed below and a t-junction 3-way splitter and extra barbs to go with it.
    Filler ports are very useful anyway for filling up, so you can bleed the system easier.
    There are also cheaper reservoirs for only $20.

Swiftech Apogee GT Extreme Performance Universal CPU Waterblock (Socket 462/478/603/604/754/775/939/940/AM2/F) $56
    This covers every CPU going, is very well rated and has all the barbs and clamps you need in the box.

Swiftech MCW30 SLI Chipset Water Block $30
    Same as the CPU block

PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Liquid Cooling Fluid (32 oz.) $20
    This was the cheapest I could see, you can go with this, or distilled water and anti-freeze.
    For the extra bit of money it makes life very easy and pretty risk free.
    You’ll need most of a 32oz bottle for a system, maybe 1 extra as a spare.

Danger Den Fillport $13
    For filling/bleeding the system (not essential, but you need either this or a reservoir, both is just easier for filling).

Tygon Anti-Kink 1/2" ID (5/8" OD) Tubing $3.25 per foot
    This is the best there is, but I personally use MasterKleer 7/16” tubing, as its nearly as good, half the price and gives a far tighter fit.
    If you get 12 foot of tubing, that will be more than enough, that will give you a bit of spare in case you mess up, or for adding a GPU block later.

1/2" ID Reusable Clamp – Black $1.00 each.
    You’ll need 2 for the radiator barbs, 2 for a reservoir and another 1 for the filler port if you get it.
    If you also go for the filler port then you’ll also need 3 for the t-junction 3 way splitter.

Danger Den G 1/4" High Flow Thread Barb - 1/2" ID $2.49 each
    2 for the reservoir, and 3 more if you get the t-junction.

Danger Den 1/2" Delrin T-Fitting $8.00
    Use this if you get the filler port.

Fitting Thread Sealant Tape $5.00
    Any plumber thread tape will do if you already have some.

16. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

Mort81
    do they fit on the existing heat sinks or do you have to buy new ones?

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

They screw directly on the top on the heatsink.

This is my P5WDH with fans fitted on both the SB and NB.

[​IMG]

18. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

cool what water cooler you using?

19. tinytom

tinytom Guest

4.2ghz on air! Ok now how can I find out if one similar is a good clocker and whats the downside if its not? I need a new chip so if these can be OC'd so much with air then I think this is the way forward?

20. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Do you mean i need all those parts? , ohh its a lot of them :) , heh we gonna play lego again =).

Ok, you gave me some place to pick from those parts , but im not sure what is gonna work with what, so if you could just pick all parts that you would chose , so thats gonna be able to work when builded. i think im gonna be able to get it in about 4 weeks :/.