1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@humzaSM
    The water cooling I'm using on my systems is as follows:

Asus P5WDH:
    Laing D5 Vario Pump.
    Alphacool NexXxos Xtreme III Radiator
    Swiftech Storm 4 CPU Block
    Danger Den NV 68 GPU Block
    MasterKleer 7/16" Tubing
    XSPC 300mm Passive Aluminium Reservoir
    MCT-40 Fluid

Asus P5B Deluxe:
    Laing D5 Vario Pump
    ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator
    EK FC79 GPU Waterblock with Reg Cooler
    Swiftech MCW-30 Chipset Block
    EK NB 1 Mosfet Block
    MasterKleer 7/16" Tubing
    XSPC 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
    Danger Den Filler Port
    Feser One UV Blue Fluid

No Water-Cooling on this CPU as it's awaiting a phase cooler.

@tinytom
    Most reseller are either unable or unwilling to tell you what batch number CPU you will get.
    You are however more likely to get a batch number from a smaller reseller, but you'll pay more for it.

After that, its really just luck of the drwa as to what you get, but as seen on that E6600 you listed it is possible to get a very good one.
    Best thing is to find out where and when it was bought and try to get one from the same place quickly.

The downside to not getting one thats so good, is that it just isn't capable of the extra high speeds that some others are.
    Although you may well get a good CPU for OC'ing unless you look after it and pay the money to keep it cool, then you may as well just get an average one, you'll still be able to OC it very well from 2.4 up to and past 3.0GHz.

Its not always about the CPU, you'l need a good board and parts to get it up to that level.
    I know plenty of people that have been through 6+ E6600's looking for a great OCer, some people do it first time, others never do.

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@pszczoll

Basically you need a radiator, you can either go passive or active, the latter has fans fitted to it to actively pass air through it and cool it down, the passive ones rely on radiation of heat and aren't as effective.
    You can go for a single, double or triple radiator, but to make it as effective as possible you'll also need that amount of 12cm fans (1-2 or 3)

Next in the system a reservoir to fill the system and to enable you to top it up with fluid, you can use internal mounted, extrenal mounted or drive bay mounted.
    The latter again is the best for keeping it out the way (if you have enough drive bays to spare one for the reservoir.

You'll need a pump, the Swiftechs are actually rebranded laing Pumps (at least they are in the UK), they are reliable and very low noise.

The Swiftech CPU block is very good comes with all the bits and are very easy to install.

The Chipset block is again easy to fit and very effective at removing heat.
    To fit to the P5B you need to cut a bit off one of the mounting brackets, and I mage up my own threaded rods, springs and screws out of spare bits (that could be an issue for you)

Obviously every part you add will have an input and an output, so will need 2 1/2" barbs with G1/4" threads, some items are listed as coming with them complete (you may have to state the size when you order) others will have no barbs with them, in which case depending on what parts you go for, you'l need to order those barbs I described.

All those parts I listed would give you a similar setup to mine on the P5B, with the execption that I am not using a CPU water block and have added the Mosfet block to the system.

I'll have more time tomorrow to go through things, but i need to fly off now.

Hope this helps

3. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Yes it did. Thank you Sir. Im gonna read about water cooling , to get some info about it and it structure.

4. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

phase cooling is where water vapour is used to cool the cpu right? is it better than water cooling?

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

phase cooling is where a refridgerant is used like with air conditioners, refridgerators, and freezers.

6. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

A Dell and the model is 0UW457

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ Mort81 & BigDK;

What are the step codes on the known good E6600 you mention earlier in tread? I Got another dated Feb 12, 2007. boxed core , stepping : SL(ZL and version no. L640A818. What do or have you guys heard about these batches and revision?

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

L640 onwards is when the production was moved to Malaysia.
    That's also when tighter quality controls came into place, and thus the potential for overclocking went down.

In other words, you are very unlikely to have a Very Good overclocker there.

9. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

anyone now any good phase cooling kits for the cpu and where to get them from i cant find any

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

UK or US for the phase cooler?

11. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I would like to recommend the place I bought mine, but as its been 45 days from when it was ordered, I'm finding it hard to do it.

I've heard tales of ribbon cables shipping from the US, and couriers that have long holidays, all of which are probably true, but it doesn't change the fact that I paid £510 for it 1 1/2 months ago and have sweet FA for it.

Again I'v been promised it will be shipping this week, but thats not the first promise of shipping I've had.

All that to one side, the system spec beats the crap out of the Vapochill units, and I'm 100% positive that when it arrives it will be worth the wait.

If you hold on for a week or so, it should be fitted and tested, and then I can advise on buying one of them.

As far as I know there are only 2 places to got it, thats eBay and the place I bought mine.

Presuming all goes well, I would advise having a chat pre-ordering one, and explain you have been directed by me, but would need some concrete timescale for a delivery if you place an order.
    Normal timescale should be 15-21 days.

I would advise against a Vapochill unit though, as they are pretty crap compared to these units.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

P.S.
    Failing that, you can always give me your CPU to look after and stress to it's limits:)

Like I said, Lucky Man!

14. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Most reseller are either unable or unwilling to tell you what batch number CPU you will get.
    You are however more likely to get a batch number from a smaller reseller, but you'll pay more for it.

Its not always about the CPU, you'l need a good board and parts to get it up to that level.
    I know plenty of people that have been through 6+ E6600's looking for a great OCer, some people do it first time, others never do.[/quote]

Ive got a Asus Comando now and a Freezer 7 on the way to try, but may well get water if that isnt up to the job. Ive got about another £500 to spend in total but really do want to try and get a good Over clocker as Im looking for 3.6 minimum!

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The mobo is extremely good as you will already know.

For 3.6 and above you'll be needing 400+ FSB.

That's why I've ended up with Dominator 8500 memory, so that I can take it out of the equation when OC'ing the system.

The only other option you can use for confirmed batch numbers is to use eBay, as you can probably get the seller to confirm the batch number and serial number before buying it.

Obviously use the usual caution on eBay, and remember that as a grey market item you won't get the usual warranty from Intel, but then again, if you OC the crap out of it and fry it, you won’t get a warranty anyway.

There is a seller with the following batch number listed at the moment:
    L639A266

Having then done a quick search, I found the following.
    Forum member pasatoiutd within this following tread has that batch listed as 3.6-3.8 on 1.33-1.50 V.
    http://www.crazypc.ro/forum/archive/index.php/t-6018.html

You'll need to remember that those figures are only as reliable as anything else from an unconfirmed source on the internet, but it's a place to start.

I'm quoting that one, as the seller has already been asked the question and answered, there could be others better, you’d need to either grab one or keep looking.

As said before, avoid Week 40 onwards.

One last point:
    You could also get one of the same batch, and still not get as high (unlikely on your board) but possible.
    Nothing is set in stone with overclocking, sometimes it is just luck of the draw.

16. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

ok will you be telling me where you got it from and the name of it?
    if i sent you my cpu would you be able to find the highest right OC settings for it?

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm getting the Chilly1 Extreme unit from chilled PC.
    Everything else I bought there has been fine, and the seller gets the units made for him.
    Unlike Vapochill LS which uses Danfoss compressors, they are the FR8.5CL (1/4HP 8cc displacement) the Chilly1 is using the Danfoss NL11F compressor which is (1/3HP 11cc displacement) this is generally regarded as the best compressor for the job and a lot quieter than the Vapochill version.
    The Vapochill LS uses R507 gas which works nice and cold, but the R402a will apparently beat it by about 5%, they will also put a mixed blend in for you as well if you need it.
    The Chilly1 head gives far better temps as it fits better, and with the air tight seal it uses, it eliminates the need for thermal grease and heat pads.
    The controller it uses is the Golden Froster XE1.6
    It has graceful shutdown, which allows for a BIOS reset when an OC goes wrong, apparently the Vapochill LS controller will just do a full shut down, and then when the system re-boots you get no cooling.
    The V LS also has the reputation of giving totally false temp readings, which the Chilly1 doesn’t.

As for testing your CPU, I was only joking about using it, although I could quite happily use it for you instead of my one.

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@xxxbg

sorry but, dells dont support any overclocking options.

you may find a hacked bios that might let you but failing that something like clockgen might work.

never really used it so i cant give much advice on it.

19. tinytom

tinytom Guest

How do I know what serial relate to which date or is there a build date and week number on the box? Id just rather spend the same ammount of money and get a better cpu than a bad one for the same money.....?

Is it worth spending alot of money getting very good ram then? If so what would you suggest? I would be looking at getting 2 1gig sticks to start with and maybe 2more at a later date?

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"something like clockgen might work."

This works on a few select chipset and motherboards. Most top end Dells (Gamer or media center PC) used ASUS OEM or Intel Ref. mobos so chances are good to run ClockGen. However, ClockGen is a Windows baced app to manipulate certain FSB, and RAM settings. It cannot adjust for multiplyer or RAM timings or any vcore so adjusting FSB up is gonna max out where the components cannot keep up anymore. If You have good RAM with SPD set loose timings, then you may be good for a 10+ % on any ASUS and some Intel. Cause you cannot adjust the mobo in any way to help this OC. PCI/PCI-E and speed Spectrum will be linked.

But I have used this in the past on the !875P/!865P with fair results. Can't speak for the !955x/!975X as of today. The !975X is still Intels best high end (even if slightly older) stable chipset till the new series comes out to disproove this. The !965's are speed binned from rejected !975's so they too should be fine to ClockGen alte.