1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

BigDK

anyway thanks i think ill just get the NB and SB fans along with 2 120mm fans for the case and water cooling system.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

How important is having 8500 vs. 6400 RAM when OC your systme? I will have a E6600 and most likely a Asus P5W DH for a mobo. This would be my first OC so I probably won't try and push it too far, ~3.6Ghz.
    Also, has anyone bought an E6600 recently and gotten a good batch/week?

Thanks.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can't say much about 6600s, but I've managed 67% on my E4300 using PC6400, so as long as you get good brand stuff, it being PC6400 shouldn't be too much of a problem.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I've gotten to 82% with my E4300 using 6400 memory, but my memory is still slightly underclocked. I think most of this is because the first chipset ported to the Conroe was the 965-P Express which my MB has. I suspect that when Asus gets all the kinks out with a future bios revision, yours will do the same or even better. The 965-P has about a 6 month advantage in development time. Everyone seemed to be going through the same sort of problems back then, that the nVidia is going through now when the Conroes first hit the market. I think it's strictly a matter of the nVidias needing more development time. They still haven't been able to make the memory run properly in slots 1 & 3 yet. They had somewhat the same problem with the 965-P as often they wouldn't boot with 2 memory sticks in them and had to pull one so it would boot up. I still think that the 650i chipset will be the better chip in the end. It's ability to independently (sort of) control the memory speed is a huge plus. It's much more difficult to get any particular ratio with the memory on a 965-PE MB as you are limited by the multiplier only. I also think that that particular feature of the 650i chipset is what causes so many of the "black holes" at different speeds.

The basic design of the P5N-E was very successful when it first came out and I'm sure that it will be again in the not too distant future. I don't think any of the motherboard manufacturers considered the possibility of 50% or greater overclocks with the C2D. Before the C2D there were very few CPUs that would overclock that high, the D-805 comes to mind, and Intel upped it's multiplier to do it. I think the board makers were more than likely told what to expect, but in a very general way I don't really think they believed it would be the performance level of today. I know this is the first processor I ever started out expecting a 70% OC at the bare minimum. When I built my 3.0 P4 I was looking for 20% at 3.6 and was very happy with 25% at 3.74. With the D-940 I hit 19%. If you want a perspective, at 3.71 overclocked from 3.20 stock, the D-940 runs at the same speed that the C2D runs at stock, about 16,000 mips! My C2D cranked up 82% is twice as fast and and will still run faster at 3.993! I'm not that brave when it comes to pushing the voltage past 1.4, especially when you are already over Intel's recommended voltage by about 2/3 of a volt at 1.4.

Even watercooling won't solve my particular problem as the core voltages get right up to 63 to 65C, but also fluctuate wildly doing it. The thermal cap on the CPU apparently can't transfer the heat fast enough to the CPU cooler, so you get a 10 to 12C higher temp at the cores than you get at the CPU. It's only removing the heat that's getting transfered from the cap Not good! At it's present voltage, the difference is only 3C and the heat much easier to control. It's about 26C in here right now and my CPU is idling at 27-28C and the MB is at 35-36C. HSF is running at 800 to 1000 rpm, and it's very quiet, even by your standards.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"How important is having 8500 vs. 6400 RAM when OC your systme?"

If not gonna push too far then quality 6400 w/ good timings of 3-4-3-9 would be great. Some faster DDR1000 @ 5-4-4-9 is able to tighten up to 3-3-3-8 w/ extra volts. I had lesser expensive DDR800 hit 1066 w/ the typical 5-5-5-12. But takes some tweeking. Not too little overclockers even utilize the potential 1:1 bandwidth of DDR800 (needing an FSB of 400x) let alone DDR1000 or 1066. On the older 955X, DDR1066 was cool with the D' at 1:2 ratio. I did that for a bit on my D840 at 266x15 1:2 DDR1066

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Freezer 7 Pro at 1000rpm? Absolutely, even I can't hear that, which is why it was disappointing that the minimum speed Asus Qfan used was 1800.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Is this the max on high clock or FSB?

For what it's worth,I got 100% FSB OC out of a E6300 at 532x CPU FSB. This made better use of DDR1066 in 1:1 @ 5-4-4-12.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Neither, the motherboard makes overclocking a hassle, and this is my main PC, not just an experiment, so I need to make sure it performs reliably. It does currently, but raising the clock speed, and also lowering it, and even changing it back to what it was, can result in the PC not POSTing.

9. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ive found an e6600 with the code starting L629*** am I right in thinking that theres a good chance this is a pre malasia chip and has a good chance of being a good oc'er?

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@nucknfuts

i have almost the same setup as sam, the max fsb i could get was 1760 on a x 6 multi, i can get it upto 3.3ghz (1467fsb) on a x9 and 3.28 (1640fsb) on a x 8.

11. tinytom

tinytom Guest

PLEASE SOME ONE! iVE FOUND A L629 E6600 IS THIS A GOOD BATCH?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I finally hooked up the on-board sound to my Sony PL-II Surround through the SPDIF Coax connection. It also has Optical but the Sony doesn't. The sound is magnificent! Clear as a bell with either the analog or the SPDIF. My keyboard volume control no longer works but the master is within easy reach, so no problem.

I also bought a 30mm fan and screwed it to the top of the Northbridge heatsink. Pretty quiet for an 8000 rpm fan. Keeps the temp about 33-35C and has never gotten any higher than 40C. Enabling the CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) has it running at 2.2GHz most of the time unless I'm encoding or testing, then it runs at 3.275. Normally the CPU temp runs right around room temp unless I'm encoding. Even then it only gets to about 54C. BTW, enabling the C1E doesn't change my Sandra scores or affect the computer's performance in any way!

Here's a screnshot of my taskbar with Everest set up.

[​IMG]

From left to right: CPU speed, fan speed, HD temp, GPU temp, Core 1 temp, Core 2 temp, CPU temp and finally the MB temp. Works extremely well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol you only get that many blocks?
    I'm not at my main PC now so I can't screenie it, but my everest shows:
    CPU Voltage
    CPU Fan speed (x1000 rpm)
    CPU temperature
    MB temperature
    GPU temperature
    GPU ambient temperature
    GPU VRM temperature
    HDD temperatures x4

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Nah! I took out the ones I didn't want when I set it up. It loads at startup so I don't have to do anything.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

@tinytom

The weeks that I have heard were good are:
    28A
    29A
    29B
    30B
    32B
    33B

So I'd say you found a good week. I am also searching for a good E6600 so if you don't mind my asking were did you find it?

16. tinytom

tinytom Guest

The code Ive been given is L629F Is that still a good week? Ive got until tomrow night to cancel my order if this is going to be a bad one! If this turns out to be a good one then Ill certainly send you a link to get in contact!

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

tinytom,

this is a quote from BigDK earlier in this thread regarding the L629F batch number.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol just a little fact, the superpi on the home laptop I'm using is 66.078 seconds for 1M! That's really quite appalling compared to my E4300!

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just for $hits and giggles I ran super pi at 1M on my laptop and it took 34.891 seconds.

20. tinytom

tinytom Guest

**MORT81**

Do you have an email address to tell you where to get this e6600 from or shall I just post it up here, he has quite a few from what Im hearing.......!