1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You mean to say you ran it for esses and giggles and it was only about 30% slower than my X2? That's extremely annoying!

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

tinytom,

I already have a good E6600. eparker89 is who is looking for one.

Sam,

my laptop has a 1.66ghz C2D. not too shabby for a midpriced laptop.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, that'd be why, ours worked out to normally be around £600, but was half price in a business deal, the prize draw of which we won, so a free 26" LCD TV made it seem quite cheap!
    It's a 1.4Ghz Celeron M with only 256MB of RAM, so that would be why it doesn't quite measure up to yours!

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah it cost me about $1,100. it also has 1gb DDR2. funny thing is it will encode with rb/cce about the same speed as my old P4 3.4ghz.

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

@tinytom

Thanks for the link. You can either post it here or send me a PM because it is against forum rules to post personal emails. If the source has quite a few good cpus it might be good to post the link here for future people looking for a E6600.

6. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Im hoping all is well with the chip, full retail packaging guess Ill just have to see how I get on with it when it turns up. Only cost me £152 including shipping.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that batch number is supposedly better than mine and I'm running at 3.6ghz on air. regardless it's bound to be better than any of the current batch's being made in malaysia.

8. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Strange cos they are sending the cpu from malaysia! Oh well lets just hope, Id like 3.6 on mine in all honesty, going to order some pc6400 and new ram heatpipe style heatsinks before building up my system and OC'ing for the first time!!!

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

tinytom,

what CPU HSF and mobo are you going with?

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  10. tinytom

tinytom Guest

11. tinytom

tinytom Guest

**MORT81**

Getting e6600 cpu, trying out the AC Freezer7 before deciding on water..? Got a Asus Comando Board, and looking in to a passive Asus graphics card but Im not a PC gamer really (flashed X360 for that) and getting some kingston pc6400 with thermalright HR-07 heatpipe coolers, got Thermaltake Bach VX 4000bws case and a thermaltake 500w psu....
    What do you think of my first build?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Ya think!!! ROFL!!! That's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Ferrari! LOL!! My P-III 1.4GHz Dell Latitude laptop is faster than a modern Celeron in Super Pi! It also cost a lot more when it was new compared to an Inspiron with a Celeron inside! You get/got what you paid for! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    Theone

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks ok to me. only changes I would make is a little bigger psu and corsair memory.

btw: that link to the cpu doesn't go to the specific cpu.

14. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Just message the guy and tell him what you want. There are cpus in that list. Is a 500W psu not big enough for OC'ing then? In my std pc its only a 300w?

15. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Also, does your ram run cool enough? Id want to take the coolers off the corsair to put the thermalright ones on? Thats the reason why I was going to get kingston?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

a good 500 watt psu like the one you're getting is probably ok especially since you're not planning on running crossfire or sli.

I wouldn't be concerned about the memory overheating unless you plan on OC'ing it and don't have adequate case vetilation. if you can reach 400mhz fsb (3.6ghz) then you can run the memory at it's rated speed maintaining fsb:dram ratio of 1:1. the corsair memory I have will OC to 900mhz no problem without any special heatsinks.

if your still concerned about your memory overheating, you can go with these dominators. keep in mind the large heatsinks can interfere with some CPU HSF's.

17. tinytom

tinytom Guest

The thermalright heat sinks are massive any ways. Does it make such a difference between corsair/kingston? I dont plan on running any multi gpu set ups but do plan on clocking the ram a little? Maybe just to try and push past the 3.6 marker, have to see how I get on first because Ive never done it before and Im looking to learn from you guys!

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I repeat,
    I prefer corsair because it is compatable with almost anything and if there is a problem, their service is excellent.

19. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ive measured and its all ok my cpu fan will sit far enough away, if not Ill get water cooling!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    How easy this will be depends on your choice of motherboard. The 650i chipset lets you set the memory speed independently (sort of) from the fsb. The sort of means that you may have to move the memory speed up higher to actually get what you want. The E4300/P5N-E SLI build I just did would read 388 in the post so you had to set the memory speed a couple of MHz higher to get it to read 400.

With the 965P Express chipset the memory speed changes with the FSB with only the multiplier to control the memory speed. With my present bios (F10), I can't raise the FSB to 400, which is where I want it. I can get 373MHz, but black holes anything above that setting. The new F12 bios, once it gets out of beta is supposed to cure a lot of the black holes. On the GA-965P-DS3, all the black holes seem to be above a respectable overclocking level. I got mine to 3993MHz, but it won't go higher without more voltage. I refuse to set it over 1.4v! The P5N-E's black holes seem to be all over the map. More than likely because of the independent memory and front side buss speeds. I think the P5N-E with the 650i chipset has got a good shot at being better than a comparable Intel 965P just because of this feature. It's just going take a future bios revision to give it a broader range of adjustment so it will work the way intended.

Happy Computering,
    theone