1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. synteck

synteck Guest

G.Skill ??

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

syntek,
    As Sam said, it seems to work very well in the GigaByte boards. First page of the reviews at Newegg there's a guy with a P5N-E who's raving about it. He also mentions needing to use the Black memory slots. This is what I have in my computer!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

No memory problems of any kind!

Best Regards,
    theone

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Corsari uses less volts to OC then OCZ at same timings. As for the OEM heat sinks, again, only if you're really OC'n the RAM but as for the average OC'rs only tapping a few FSB MHz's, then OEM will be fine. DDR800 to 900 is not that big a leap in good RAM, so not much extra juice need to push it , thus not much heat. Even DDR533 to 830 barely needs 2.2+ and does fine w/ OEM heat spreaders. (Corsair PC4300-C3Pro)Good OZC DDR1066 to 1333 does need some juice and will need better case cooling as it needs to hit 2.3 - .5 Vdim.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I too, will will speak for G-Skill in their DDR 1 modules of PC4400 or 4800 using TCCD ic chips. I have mates using the new PC6400 w/ Micron D9GMH chips and they have some pushing power. I know they are getting better known tooday. They like DFI is to Mobos, small name simple package, but big performance, and now offer a DDR1066, but only if you're willing to make use of it will it matter. Even at stock FSB266 you can run 1:2 as DDR1066 for sys FSB of 2132. It is a devider, but I found the D840 @ 266x15 1:2 DDR1066 ran nice.

Look into the ic chips they use. This makes the difference of good or better. TCCD's are so awsome. That's why a lot of low SPD RAM w/ these chips can OC so far with less heat. Corsair, the 1st to brings these to us in the PC4400C2.5 Pro (DDR1) able to run as DDR400 @ 2-2-2-5 to DDR600 @ 2.5-4-4-8 on my AMD rig.

5. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Can the corsair heatsinks be removed if needs be? Im just going to see how far I can push my e6600, Ive got a good batch some Im hoping for 3.6+ if Im lucky to get 4.25 on air like the other guy who posted then so be it, I just dont want anything to hold me back hence why Im doing my home work? I thought heat would be my biggest problem?

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

tinytom,

the heat is going to primarily apply to the cpu. 4.25ghz is going to be pushing it on air or even water. you'll be very lucky if you can get 4.0ghz. I don't know why you are getting so worried over the memory temp. even if you can hit 4.0ghz, with the fsb:dram ratio at 1:1 the memory would only be running at 445 x 2 (890mhz) and even the corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400C4 (non dominators) will OC to 450 x 2 (900mhz) no problem without any special heatsinks.

if your still worried about the memory getting too hot, then go with the corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400C4 dominators. I would trust corsair over kingston when OC'ing the memory. just my 2 cents.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think memory cooling is a bit of a farce really, if you can get such huge overclocks with the standard heatspreaders. If you really want something to suit the job though, the HR-07 from Thermalright looks like one of the best approaches. 4.25Ghz sounds incredible for air cooling, I'm not convinced, but then again I wasn't convinced the E4300 would overclock beyond 3Ghz on standard air cooling, and I was proven wrong.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

4.25 would be an exception and a very rare chip. even the doc is yet to get his E6600 to 4.0ghz completely stable on water. he does have it at around 3.97ghz stable however.

you've got to take into consideration the E4300 is only 800 fsb whereas the E6600 is 1066 fsb.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Here's something I think you and others will appreciate. I had originally purchased an 8000 RPM, 3CFM 30mm fan to help cool the Northbridge. It screamed, it was so loud. As it ran all day it continued to get louder and was annoying as hell.

I just replaced it with this one!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191002

Super quiet and moves 6 CFM of air at 14dBA. A bit pricey at $16 US, but very quiet and keeps the MB temp about 37-38C. Considering there's 7 fans running inside my computer, including the PS it's very quiet indeed. A little tricky to mount on the heat sink but once I figured out how to do it, it works fine.

Happy Computering,
    theone

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

tinytom,

The RAM is the easiest to change out later if it turns out to not be enough for you. I never had any of my older E6600's get past FSB500 (DDR1000 @ 1:1) so I woundnt worry much about the RAM right now. Focus on the CPU, to make sure you can get as closer to FSB500 at any of the lower multiplyers. This CPU is gonna be the thing to hold you back in this set up. And even at it's best FSB (for mine;495), you'd be so lucky to use a multi over 7x due to heat load on air. The core 2 has more then proven excelemnt performer on medium core clock, high FSB, and the !975x chipset was aimed toward the FSB2000 HT.

I find the CD2's to do better at higher FSB w/ 1:1 tight RAM over higher core clock in almost all real world app. test for yourself, with apps you use.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theonejrs,

here's the fan I have on both my chipsets. sunon 40 x 40 x 20mm. they're a little noisier than the one you have but they also are rated at 9.1 cfm and not nearly as pricy. being they're inside the case, I can't hear them. they've performed most excellent and keep my mobo temp between 34 - 36 C. these replaced some junk 40 x 40 x 10mm fans I had on my chipsets. one of those started making all kinds of noise and all but quit about a week after I installed them.

12. docTY

docTY Regular member

you know me TOO well Mort81! LOL right on the money once again.

@tinytom

i can GUARANTEE you 100%, that on AIR cooling only, you will NOT hit 4.25ghz stable/or even long enough to run benchmarks should you see fit (memory should be the least of your concerns at this point) if you are going to attempt uber high OC's on the FSB. :)

i have one of those rare, better than avg. binned E6600, that has proven to be a very good overclocker, but realistically speaking, even with an exceptional E6600 cpu, AT LEAST ON AIR COOLING, i wouldn't get your hopes up in achieving more than 3.8ghz max. with full stability (getting over 4ghz doesn't mean squat if it's not stable enough to run what you need to run consistently and efficiently) :)

i'm still in the process of fine tuning/tweaking my Q6600 Kentsfield, so far it's been an uphill battle and i've found it difficult overclocking the quad-cores, even on my eVGA 680i...seems to top out @ 3.4ghz stable...there really haven't been too many reports online in the various forums as to what the "really good" OC'in Q6600s steppings are, i happen to get a L640F230, packed 2/8/07 but i'm not entirely impressed. :(

oh well, can't expect great things from EVERY cpu i get, win some, lose some, it's all part of the experience in OC'in :)

docTY

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That's why I replaced the 30mm. It was installed for less than a week and just got louder and louder. I have an air inlet grille on the side cover and I could hear this thing over the AC running. The longer it ran, the more noise it made.

I looked into your fan but at 27dBA, it's just too loud. The one I bought at 14dBA is a lot quieter and only runs at 3000RPM. At 7400RPM, yours not going to get anything but louder over time so it's good that you can't hear it outside the case. Being ball bearing, yours should at least stand up to that kind of RPMs. I don't think the Evercool 30mm I had would have lasted a month judging by the noise it was making after less than a week.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

wow, 6CFM! lol I can't help but wonder whether decent ambient airflow would render one of those things all but pointless, if it's moving in the right direction. Using one of my fans in a non-standard way (side fan exhausting rather than intake) has lowered my CPU and Nothbridge temperatures by 3 celsius, because it takes all the hot air from my fanless GPU away from the other components.
    My Nexus case fans are barely audible when my PC's at idle, and they push a not insignificant 47CFM. At the 30CFM level, they are inaudible when the rest of the PC is off.

Hate to break it to you Russ, but 14dB is impossibly quiet for a 3000rpm fan, as I proved with Thermaltake, manufacturers lie about the rating of their fans, check out http://www.silentpcreview.com - their fan articles prove there isn't much variation within fans of the same size at the same speed. At 3000rpm a 120mm fan would be around 45dB, an 80mm fan around 35dB, a 60mm fan around 28-30dB, and 40mm I suppose around 25dB, not 14. If it were 14 you'd have to wear it as a headphone to your ear and barely be able to make it out in a silent room. At 7400rpm I dread to think what volume it was producing. Something interesting to note though is additional frequencies through vibration, when I removed my X1900XT's stock cooler, I ran the fan outside the heatsink out of curiosity and noted that the prominent harsh noise it made was completely absent, only a lot of air rushing, and the whistle it should make (based on the frequency of the blades, 29 blades at 5500rpm equals around 2.7Khz). This resulted in a halving of the noise made. This goes to show what effect vibrations has on PC noise. Directly attached to a heatsink, I wonder if that's what made your Evercool fan rattle. The main noise I hear from hard disks is a low 120Hz tone, which you do not hear if you run a hard disk outside of a case. Can you guess why? :D
    Rubber gromets, sound absorption material etc etc will work wonders.
    I'd be OK with a 27dB fan, bit loud for my liking, but liveable, but rated at 27dB, it just won't be. Here's something Russ, you have a Freezer 7 Pro? Open Everest and Speedfan, and get the fan speed of it to about 1750rpm. THAT is 27dB. I bet that doesn't bother you as much as the 30mm Evercool fan.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I for one can guarantee that the chipset mods and addition of chipset fans is not pointless at least on the P5W DH Deluxe. back when I made the mods, the ambient air temp in here was about 70 F. my mobo temp was running 46 C at idle. by reseating the chipset heatsinks with artic silver 5 and adding 40 x 40 x 20mm fans to the chipset heatsinks my mobo temp dropped to 33 C at idle. that's a 13 C improvement. nothing else was done or added. I think BigDK will vouch for this as well.

now with the ambient temp at 78 F my mobo temp runs between 34 - 36 C at idle.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps, not sure I could live with the noise though! Just some Arctic silver V would do the job for me. Have to take chipset temperature readings with a pinch of salt though, as most Asus motherboards seem to give some interesting temperature readings. When my chipset temperature read 41C, I used a thermal probe and found the heatsink was 56C. That seems a little excessive for the chipset to be 41C.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I believed I mentioned months back about cooling the P5W-DH Wi-Fi. Since day 2 of OC'n, I realized the heatpipe was not cuttin it for me. As cool as they looked, I removed them to revert back to passive cooling and to remount back in my SilverStone tunneled case (inverted BTX like). Adding copper sinks modeled after my waterblocks for the PWR Mosfets, I cooled the 8 phase PWR independent of every other IC chip onboard. Used extra P5WD2 NB cooloer for starters till I replaced with Thermalright copper heatsink (w/o optional fan) and it did great. Added (sliced down modded) extra NB copper cooler to fit SB and leftover copper to cool SATA RAID, PCI-E and core clock gen chips. This mobo today is fine on passive ait for 28 - 32C idle or 32 - 37 load (tested at 9x400 w/ EIST enabled). This also worked on the ASUS A8N-SLI but ran a tad hotter under load. Nice & Quiet!

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Why do so many people complain bout fan noise and yet set out to get the more fans (noisy ones at that) instead of fixing the situation or moving to water or large passive heatpipe. If you're gonna OC, then know ahead you're gonna need cooling, and passive doesn't usually cut it all. Good case and room set up and modest OC is fine at times. I like quiet for my media PC in TV room so large psaaive heatpipe is the workaround for me. Can still hear the HDD but no louder then the set top DVR HDD internal. Not the highest OC, but a nice compromise between high performance and quiet. Notice I didn't say cool & quiet. Can't have it all. But ASUS is known for being able to handle the heat at steady usage. As for CPU, LGA775 Prescotts were known for good heat handlers at up to 72C so 55C under normal use in a media PC was just fine. And sure, some are gonna argue that may shorter life of CPU. And ya, it can, but then who is still using a prescott after 1 yr. We all upgraded last yr as soon as we could. Even today, we are looking for the new and bout time we get are current chips where we like em' we replaced them. I do anyay.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    First off, the 7400rpm fan is Mort81s, not mine. The Silenx I use spins 3000rpm and is dead quiet doing it!
    It never rattled! The most annoying sound it made after being on all day was rpm surge and it's accompaning harmonics! A very slight but annoying constant change in pitch. It's actually a form of cavitation of the airflow. Gave me a headache!
    If you were to use one of those huge tray type chipset coolers, I would agree. The biggest problem cooling inside a case is getting the airflow exactly where you need it, especially when the area to be cooled is so small. 6 cfm doesn't sound like very much but it's more than enough to do the job very well.

The biggest problem is that because of the location of the Northbridge on some motherboards, it sits in what is basicly dead air space. The Freezer 7 Pro actually overhangs the heatsink on mine so there's very little cooling from the HSF.

Thanks to the way my MB Smart Fan Control handles the PWM function of the fan, it rarely gets anywheres near that rpm! Even when encoding, it rarely hits 1750! Most times it runs at about 1000rpm unless I let it get very warm in here. It's 27C in here right now and the CPU temp is staying between 28-30C with the HSF between 1000-1100 rpm.

I did a little experiment last night. I put a switch on an old Molex fan extension and ran the wires through one of the case holes. The Silenx is so quiet that you can't tell if it's running or not when you switch it on and off. Like I said, there's 7 fans running inside my case, and it's very quiet. Maybe not up to your standards, but quiet enough to please me and not the least bit annoying. I still have to pull the MB and mod the Northbridge with arctic silver. I didn't do it before because I was afraid of breaking something as the heatsink was on so tight that considerable twisting force didn't move it. I just got around to doing it with my P5P800 and the MB temp dropped 13C!

I'm going to order one of these Silenex case fans from Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191013
    It should be much quieter than the standard Cooler Master case fan and at 72 cfm, it should make an already quiet machine even quieter!

I know you are skeptical, but this 40mm is the quietest fan I've ever come across. The 5 blade design on the 40mm is closely modeled after marine propellers. The 120s only turn 1400rpm and have a 7 blade design along the same lines, and it's 14dBA as well. They also have a 92 cfm one that's only 18dBA. I think it's a big plus for Silenex to be taking an approach to design that uses technology that's been around since the early 1950s for large fast ships and tailored it to airflow. Another case of "thinking outside the box"! Water or air, the principles involved are the same.

BTW, it's now 29C in here and the CPU is 31-32C and the MB is 40C with the HSF running 1300 rpm! After I mod the heatsink, the MB temp should go down!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah that's what I meant, a 3000rpm fan isn't going to be that quiet, so 7400 would be ridiculous!
    Ouch, worse than I thought!
    As for the SilenX 120mm fan, it claims to be 1400rpm and 72CFM at 14dB. I'm sure 1400rpm is true, but at that speed, all 120mm fans (no exceptions unless they're even worse like ARX or Delta) will be about 26-27dB or so, and will produce something in the region of 60CFM. Quiet is obviously subjective, and the SilenX fan won't be too bad, but it would drown out all but the Power supply in my PC.