1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Well for starters, it's not air cooled! Throw in a well binned E4300 and about $700 worth of MB and memory and it's easy! ROFL!!! I spent $228 for my MB and memory! LOL!! You do the math! LOL!! My whole build didn't cost as much as his MB and memory!

eparker89,
    I've tried both and I see no difference. Whatever the put on the Arctic coolers works very well! Good Choice for your needs!

Clock On,
    theone :}

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@parker

alot of people do say that mx-1 is as good as it gets for paste, i am going to get some of it myself in the next few weeks(i want a new heatsink for my nb, and may be a new case) and i can then say how it compares to the arctic silver in my setup. i didnt wipe it off mine when i first got it, but i had to refit it the next day because my mobo was broke.

@sam

its under a tube full of liquid nitrogen, puts ours into perspective tho dont it :(

@redice

everything will help, mobo, ram type, psu, graphics. the more info now the easier it will be to spot what might make it fall over when you turn up the wick.

this is free and can monitor your temps in real time.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

this will show you all the info about your cpu, mobo and ram.
    http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-140.zip

if you get to know your temps now you will see how much they go up and it will help you know when its time to stop.

cpuz is good to see what your changes have done to all your clocks and it shows all the info you need to know about your ram and mobo too.

edit

abstract overclocking

ive just overclocked my usb mouse. it was running @250mz and it now runs @1000mhz it has took its response time down to 1ms from 8ms.

this shows you your frequency and response time,
    http://files.filefront.com/dx_mouse_timer_dialogexe/;6313265;;/fileinfo.html

and this alows you to change it,
    http://files.filefront.com/usbmrs11exe/;6313268;;/fileinfo.html

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol Liquid Nitrogen, that makes it irrelevant in my book, as while it's achievable, it's terribly impractical. The single line approach for applying Arctic silver V is correct, it's what I did and I get reasonable temps. The stock cooler always runs hot, but not quite that hot. Perhaps it became unseated, that often happens with the terrible mounting method for standard heatsinks (the Freezer 7 Pro does not rectify this). All I can say about thermal pastes is that Arctic Silver V is excellent, and has a lot of history.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i know what you mean, unless you live next door to BOC gasses its no good for day to day use but it does show what these chips can do. 4.1ghz is still the best i have seen on air (pics i posted weeks back) but even that was on a bench covered in fans.

i also just edited my previous post :)

5. redice

redice Regular member

marsey99

amd 3200+
    asus a8s-x motherboard
    geforce 7600gs
    550 watt psu
    1 gb ddr 400 (pc3200)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Not just irrelevant, but with the potential for a leak to be fatal, heightened by the fact that at those temps the tubing would be very brittle so they would have to be isolated from vibration! I'm not afraid of dying but I don't want them to come in and sweep me up in a dustpan when my frozen body hits the floor and shatters into a million pieces. Talk about Humpty Dumpty! LOL!!!

marsey99,
    I have a motto for people who OC breadboard style out of the case with fans everywhere! "If it's not in a case, It's out of the race"! What good is umpteen GHz, if you can't use it?

Clock On,

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    It's a different kind of race.

A top fuel dragster will go 1/4 mile very quickly but thats all it does.

Like a mega sub zero cooled pc can hit extreme mhz but not for long.

The average family sedan with a little bit of work can be made to go quick and still be reliable enough for everyday use.

Thats like fitting aftermarket coolers,good memory etc and tweaking the bios on a pc.Faster than stock,but still reliable for 24/7 use.

8. docTY

docTY Regular member

that's one of the best simple analogies i've heard in a LONG time, nicely put Crowy~ :) right on the mark there for ANYONE to understand.

docTY

9. crowy

crowy Guest

docTY,
    Thanks for the kind words,
    I like to keep things simple!!:)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    I can admire bigDK, docTY, mort81 and several others for what they have accomplished overclocking. I can admire all of those who have given their time helping others learn about what makes a computer fast! I just have a very hard time getting excited over someone doing something as rediculous as a computer that you can't use and cost way more than the average person can afford, just for bragging rights!

I would get far more satisfaction out of helping feed the millions of children around the world, who go to bed hungry every night through no fault of their own and help make a difference in their lives, than to throw money away for 15 minutes of fame on something that's basicly useless and helps nothing but someone's ego!

It's just me! It's how I feel about useless things! I have a hard time seeing money thrown away when there are things people could accomplish with it that would help someone less fortunate than themselves! Me personally, I wouldn't need recognition for doing that, as the feeling in my heart would be all the reward I would ever need or desire! There's a lot to be said for silent pride and a sense of accomplishment that you alone enjoy!

Sincerely,
    Russ

11. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ I agree.

But someone always want's to have the record for doing something
    Like athlete's traing for years to get to the olympics hoping one day they might get a gold medal or world record.
    Or to hold the land speed record.
    Or water speed record or whatever.
    So someone will always want to have the record for fastest cpu.

Regards Crowy.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    I know, and you are right! I know the mentality! LOL!!

I knew a guy once who belonged to this "Better's" club whose sole object was to out do the other guys crazy off the wall bets. I took 10 Grand off him with the 74 NBA Playoffs. The Bullets were favored to sweep Golden State in 4 games. Golden State won the first game! My betting friend turns to me and says "I'll give you 100 to 1 that the Warriors don't sweep, so I spent $100 that I could afford and took the bet. The Warriors swept the Bullets. 16 total difference in points for the entire 4 games! After the final game my friend went in his office and brought me out 10 Grand! I very quietly tried to give it back to his wife a few days later and she simply asked me, "he made the bet didn't he"? And when I said yes, she said "Then he can afford it"! I didn't find out until many years later that that was the most money ever that he had lost on a bet! Kept him at the top of the Club list for a couple of months. I think it was mainly because he lost! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

o no what have i started :)

i love the drag racers is the best way to put it, same as how i love the f1 and moto gp. these are cars/bikes but not as we know them, they cant be used 24/7 but when they go, they go and everyone looks.

i understand what your all saying, but wouldnt you like to have a go of a f1 car (indy car if you like going left?) or moto gp bike, even just for a few laps?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I've been waiting to hear from people for so long, I loathe when people test any components outside of a case, it doesn't give an accurate simulation of how a PC will actually run. "breadboard style" like it!

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sam

so you have been waiting to say you loathe people? strange indeed.

to be totaly honest if i didnt have 2 young kids running around all the time plus their mates i wouldn't have mine in a "case" i would have mine setup on one of those twin level shelf things that you can mount a mobo on the top of and put your drives and psu on the lowwer shelf. not only would it be easier to cool it would also be easier to clean, add to this it looks quite good.

but hey horses for courses eh?

i will post a link when i find it again.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, it could potentially be difficult to get the airflow right across the components though. Still, at least you'd have the option!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Apparently some board work that way and some don't. You can do it with the P5N-E board. I know because Gina's is set that way!

Clock On,

18. crowy

crowy Guest

There's some interesting reading here guys:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core2duo_e4300/

The E4300 is overclocked and put up against a sh**load of other processors.Here in Australian dollars it's $139 at the moment.

Seems like a good bang for the buck.
    What I'm wondering is,are the later steppings subject to the lower o/clock syndrome of the E6600's?

Does anyone know of a good stepping for this cpu?
    I'll sell this old girl on ebay as seperate components.

Athlon x2 3800 skt939
    DFI Lanparty NF4 Mainboard
    Teem xtreme ddr500 memory(Samsung TCCD chips,low voltage,tight timings)
    Geforce6600 video card:(
    I'll keep my case,drives and psu(if the psu isn't powerful enough with the new system I'll update)
    Also keeping the big typhoon for the new system.

Regards,crowy.

P.S. Bet you can't guess which board I'll mate this cpu with??!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Mort81:
    YES it fits just fine on both this P5W-DH and P5WDG2-WS 64 Pro and older P5WD2 & "E" version too. w/ both stock and many aftermarket of like sizes.

Clearance: The ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scyth 120 S-Flex fan mounted with ease and had tight but effective clearance from mobo, RAM, VGA and top end of mobo edge.

Mounted in vertiacl possition (fan blowinf out back of case), heatsyn came right to edge of mobo (but fan rentention wire added a 5mm overhang) and overhung stock ASUS NB cooler w/ a 13mm headroom for 10mm thick fan on top if needed) but cleard most outter pipe at base. Stands as tall as top of most 120 fans in the rear of full ATX cases w/ just 5 - 10 mm to inner door/window.

Mounts fine in horizontal possition (fan blowing up into PUS) w/ edge of sink (less fan rentention wire) coming right up to first RAM stick (Corsair Dominators 3mm clearance), any 1.74" tall RAMs will mor then be fine under edge on other mobos. Leaves plenty of room for ThermalRight NB cooler w/ fan attached.

Using on one mobo w/ 45mm round full copper and only had to nip out 2 pins of copper to clear one piece of heatpipe from most outer of cooler.

This cooler is by far the better of the air coolers I've used on my systems.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hmm, too bad he didn't compare the E6600 @ 3.6ghz (400mhz x 9) which is easily capable on air with the earlier steppings and probably one of the most popular OC's with the E6600. closet he got was 435 x 8 which is only 3.48ghz. he was using water cooling with the E4300 @ 3.6ghz which is not necessary with the E6600 @ 3.6ghz.

if I was to do it all over again, I would still go with an early stepping E6600 over an E4300. no water cooling needed to achieve 400 buss speed and twice the L2 cache. yeah it costs a little more up front but will be less money in the long run if you want to run @ 3.6ghz.