1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. askyew

askyew Regular member

Use ati tool to overclock and check for artifacting at that speed. I would think that it should be able to handle it but heat very well could become an issue. Check the forums here to see what others get:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php?

2. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I overclocked to that speed last night, 40mhz core, 90mhz memory... it was all fine and very stable until i ran a 3d app. then the PC hung then crashed and needed to be restarted... woulld it be wise to buy one of those artic coolers? Would it be more efficient than my current fan mod? Also, if i do apply this bios flash will I be able to successfully downclock my memory afterwards using ati tool? That seems like a good idea I would have thought....

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

You can always flash your bios back to the original from that site I posted earlier. Ati Tool can clock your core or mem anyway you want it to up or down. Yes if you are going to overclock your video card those artic coolers are some of the best non water solutions. In the link that I posted earlier there may be an advanced modded bios where you decide the default gpu/mem speed by typing it in before you flsh the bios. Use ATI tool to find the best gpu/mem overclock that your card can handle and flash with those numbers as the default speed. Is your card an xt or did you flash it to xt speed?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

yeah i know how to use ati tool, ive just never really used it to downclock, my card is an OEM x800 XT not flashed to that speed...

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

You are probably not going to find alot of overclocking headroom because it is already at xt speeds then. What temp are you running at now?

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

520/575, (platinum ed. speeds w.platinum ed. bios)...trying to get to 540/590, can get 540 on GPU easily without it crashing: its only when i really start wrenching up the memory that it crashes...

7. askyew

askyew Regular member

Unfortunately most people plan to overclock their cards before they buy and then purchase a non pro or pro with the intent of clocking them to pro or xt speeds. There are alot of sites where the discussion is about where and whose card to buy to get the most overclockable one. Much like mb processors the higher the clock of the gpu, the less room for overclocking. That is still one fast card you own without the overclock. Even if I could find one in stock there is no way I could afford to pay $200 usd over the msrp.

8. indienemo

indienemo Guest

you reckon it could do it if i got an artic cooler? also, if i get one how much assembly is required?

9. askyew

askyew Regular member

What are your temps now?

10. Zeone

Zeone Member

How do i know if my processor died? i turned off my computer and it was working fine to add my other Harddrive i bought and i tryed to turn it back on and it like made a high pitch noise and turned off.. now i got it so it stays on but it never like, beeps to go to the checking system ram screen any idea's what can be wrong? thanks for any help

11. askyew

askyew Regular member

Take the new harddrive out and see if it posts. If it does then you need to check the drive jumper configuration. The drive with your os has to be primary and the backup drive secondary.

12. Zeone

Zeone Member

IT did the same thing with a different motherboard and processor i dunno why its doing that the jumpers were right so now i know its not the processor any other tips? =/

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

At default (500/500) the temp. is 27c/27c.
    The temperature stays the same at (540/540) as well.
    And when put up to x850 speeds (560/590) the speed goes to 28c/28c, not much change then...however that is using ati tool on the desktop without the 3d view. With the 3d view it is a little different... I took these results after leaving it on 3d view for 5 minutes....

These are the complete scores: (core/ mem)

(500/500) - 3d view 60c/40c ====368 FPS AVG.
    (540/540) - 3d view 62c/41c ====401 FPS AVG.
    (540/590) - 3d view 63c/41c ====425 FPS AVG.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2004
  14. askyew

askyew Regular member

Zeone, let me see if I am following you correctly. When you remove the new drive the computer works fine? You are sure the jumpers are set to master on the os harddrive and slave on the new harddrive?

Indienemo those temps don't sound too bad, but it is always best to fight heat in your box so aftermarket cooling is always better. I cant answer whether you will get more overclock from better cooling, it's really the luck of the draw. If you can afford it, then go for it but remember that the card is going to take up one of the pci slots with an artic cooler on it.

15. indienemo

indienemo Guest

The cost doesnt worry me (its only about $30) and neither does it matter that it takes up another PCI slot, I only use 1 out of 5 anyway.... Ill get one at xmas and post the new temps here, however soon enough I will have made the smooth transition to vapochill and will be able to o/c this card and CPU to the limit! Also: someone told me the X800's are designed to work at up to 80c is this true?!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  16. askyew

askyew Regular member

Yepper they can run hot but remember if you dont get the heat out it will cause other problems in your case. There are fans out there that fit in the pci slot next to the video card and exhaust the heat from it. Are you going to get a waterblock for your video card too?

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I already have another PCI-slot fan blower that I bought off aria, in fact I have two! But am currently waiting the arrival of a 3 way molex cable splitter to plug them all in! At the moment it is running off its stock heatsink and fan and below is a CPU fan, plugged into the sysfan on the mobo. It blows cold air onto the memory side of the gfx card. That is why in all my temp. benches the mem is always pretty low.

The concept of vapochill is beyond water, and thus the o/c's are much better, the GPU block is optional and costs extra but IMO worth it.

18. Zeone

Zeone Member

I am possitive the jumpers are right, and no now when i take out the harddrive it doesnt boot at all.. it turned on but nothing on the screen and the harddrive doesnt beep.. like so it goes to the checking system ram screen

19. askyew

askyew Regular member

Can you get into the bios and see your drive?

Yes that phase change is much better than water, I was just wondering if you were planning on cooling the gpu with it. There is a triple phase change unit out there now that was used to push a P4 to over 6ghz., so it is the best cooling solution currently on the market.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

That was done with copper and liquid nitrogen it is not available to buy