1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

NuckNFuts,

are you running the thermalright ultra 120 extreme on your P5W DH Deluxe with the E6600? what fan are you using?

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Mort81: I have the P5W-DH on water now but it is on a P5WDG2-WS 64 and is layed out w/ NB in same spot w/ same clearance. I'm using the Scythe S-Flex (120mm @ 800-1600RPM)model SFF21F.tricky fit w/ HR-05 in place but can move it around to fit. or if not using Dominator RAM the sliNB version of the HU-05 can fit right in fron w/ great clearance but just barely close to VGA card.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Mort81: I have the P5W-DH on water now but it is on a P5WDG2-WS 64 and is layed out w/ NB in same spot w/ same clearance. I'm using the Scythe S-Flex (120mm @ 800-1600RPM)model SFF21F.tricky fit w/ HR-05 in place but can move it around to fit. or if not using Dominator RAM the sliNB version of the HR-05 can fit right in fron w/ great clearance but just barely close to VGA card.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it took some time to find but, i think this with the right combo of parts would look great. it allows for fans to be added to the sides and its quite small in overall size.

link

like i said if it wasn't for my kids i would try to get one of them. the only reason i have a "normal case" is for the protection it offers.

speaking of which, im looking at the p182 as my next case, now that antec have fixxed the cabling issues it looks like a very good option for £80.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P182 looks like a really nice case, good for low noise too.
    That HSPC Top Deck looks really cool, I'd want one if I didn't have to carry my PC about with me!
    Antec are working on a full tower size version of the Nine Hundred case with a few styling changes. That looks like a sweet case too, along with the P190 behemoth if you're rich.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@marsey99,
    I know what you mean about wanting to. Sometimes you just have to try it yourself.

This is no Moto GP bike but it is still pretty fast. This is me (#614) on a GSXR 1000 in an endurance race a couple of seasons ago:

[​IMG]

That was my last season after 10 years of club road racing. I did OK. I won a few races and usually ran up in the top 10 most of the time. I crashed lots of times but was never seriously hurt.
    I look at overclocking as another hobby that lets me go fast.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And if you overdo that, at least you're only down some money, and not your limbs!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I guess enough people screamed at Intel that they have relented and are no longer going to limit the OC capabilities of the lesser cpus. I guess that means that Intel is finally condoning overclocking their chips! LOL!!

The best I've seen with a 4300 was an L2 at just over 3.6GHz on air. This was in a P5N-E MB. Mine is also an L2 and heat has never been an issue even when running OCCT for 12 hours! Temps range from mid 40s to low 50Cs. I don't know if it's the MB or the CPU that limits the FSB, but mine will not run at any multiplier over 374MHz while marsey99 exceeds 400MHz on the P5N-E. When I get a 4400 with it's 10x multiplier, we'll see what it does!

Clock On,
    theone :}

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think intel have good weeks and bad weeks as far as ocing goes as the stepping doesnt seem to effect them that much, i have read of both the b2 and l2 steps being good and bad for it.

the p190 looks real nice but its price puts it well out of my league, but for a water cooled setup i think it would be ideal, as you could mount the rad on the roof and it has 2 psu to power it all. i think if antec use the same kind of tricks on a newwer 900 revision that they have put in the p182 it too would be perfect, as the main issues i have heard people talk (read whine) about, who have one, is the cabling isues that plagued the p180.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They recently modified the cable routing on the P182 didn't they?

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

yep, the 182 is just a p180 with some holes punched in the mobo tray so you can feed the wires thru and some holes to put cable ties too, and some nice new colour.

12. docTY

docTY Regular member

good lord...i just saw the price of that new Antec P190 case, it's friggin $450 U.S. @ newegg! i've found it cheaper elsewhere for $370, but still, ridiculous cost for a case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129028

that is ridiculous even for my own excessive spending habits, but i really like the aesthetics of it, looks very clean and nicely designed...i like simple styling in Antec cases...i'm still using my older P160 for my AMD rig and it serves my needs just fine. :)

i can appreciate the dual powersupplies and the Neo Power PSUs as they are pretty good and reliable from my past experiences, but even the total power of 1200w doesn't command that kind of pricing.

IF Antec were to take the (2) Neo PSUs out of the case and sell it alone for like $300 less, i would jump on it immediately. both the 650w + 550w PSUs don't command $300 IMHO, i would pay $200 at MOST for both those units separately...there are FAR better PSUs out there available today in a single unit for less.

thanks for the heads up marsey on the P182, i personally like the gun metal black one and it will more than likely be my next case acquisition in the future...fair price even here in the U.S. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

docTY

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And how long will that mirror finish last? Save money and get the regular version. Also, I'd recommend trying somewhere other than overclockers, they've proved unreliable in the last few months, particularly with cases.

15. docTY

docTY Regular member

marsey,

i'd have to agree with you, the higher pricetag for the silver-mirror finish here in the U.S. is a bit too steep for me to get that one either...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129026

i'm going to look around and find a better price for the gun metal black one, since i live in CA, i get charged sales tax from newegg which adds another $12.79 to the $154.99 price PLUS the $22.96 shipping...total comes out to just $10 short of $200 USD...

i've already found it from another online retailer that i've purchased from in the past, $151 SHIPPED to my location~ nothing wrong w/ saving $40 for 2 min. of searching and price shopping :)

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hey Doc,
    I received my new E6700 and the Enermax Galaxy 800 Watt PSU. I have both installed and running Orthos at stock settings. Woohoo, here we go again!

Some observations...

The new E6700 performs the same as the original. Same reversed core and Tcase temps. Tcase is running about 3°C hotter than the core. Idle core temps fluctuate below ambient at idle.

100% Orthos:
    CPU: 36°C
    Core1: 31°C
    Core2: 32°C
    The Ambient temp is 22°C

The core temp sensors are actually not in the core, they are part of the core, just another junction among millions in the core.
    The analog signal from the sensor junction is converted within the CPU core and this value is placed in a MSR register within the cpu. This is a hexadecimal value that gets smaller as the core temperature increases. This value is subtracted from a constant (85 for Conroes, 100 for Kentsfields) by the monitoring program, Everest, CoreTemp etc, and this becomes the displayed temperature.
    The Tcase is derived from an actual sensor diode between the cores. This analog signal is converted/calculated using formulas held in the boards bios....

So... if a particular board's bios holds a Tcase algorithm that's a bit off then that's why the anomaly shows up... Does any of that make sense??

BTW you can access the MSR register on the cpu with CrystalCPUID if you want to look at the raw core sensor data.

[​IMG]

Here is a hex to decimal converter if anyone wants to try this and don't know how to convert one to the other.

At any rate it appears I didn't damage the first E6700 so now I have two. Oh no! I guess I'll have to build another computer. Damit.

About that Enermax Galaxy. My voltages seem better. What I enter in bios is closer to what shows up in Everest. Vdroop at load hasn't changed. The one thing I do not like about this PSU is how much force it takes to get the cables plugged in. They need to get better connectors. The thing is quieter than my case fans so I'm happy with that. The 700 Watt CoolMax was OK so I have that for my next build as well.

Thanks again Doc and everyone, I'm learning a lot and having a good time applying it. I'm going to start OCing the new E6700. I'll stay below 1.45 volts indicated and below 50°C and see what that will get me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    That case looks like a friggin toaster! LOL!! I would think that the Gun Metal Black would be far more practical and be far easier to keep clean! Classier looking too! The chrome makes it look to much like a Hospital Appliance! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :}

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As someone who also has a mirror finish case design, albeit not quite of the same caliber, they're actually not too difficult to keep clean. The bad thing is that they're easily scratched, and mine is.
    As for the Tjunction issue, do you reckon that Asus' temperature algorithm is screwed up for their chipsets? After playing a game, Everest (and the BIOS reads the same as everest) reported 44ºC and the heatsink was 80ºC.

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i must admit im not a big fan of ocersuk too, i only used those links as they stock both types. i tend to buy most of my stuff from scan and advancetech as both are only about 30 mins from where i live and i can just call in to the shops.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use scan a lot, believe it or not I've not heard of advancetech. You presumably don't live far from Manchester/Bolton then, the computer tech central of the UK. Scan, Aria, Microdirect, Aria, Dabs and others are all up there!