1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

theone,

I set the bios back to default. Installed the new E6700. Booted and ran Everest to check temps. I took notes as a enabled and disabled these two features, checking temps at idle as well at 100% load with Orthos.:

Default settings:
    CPU: 31
    Core 1: 34
    Core 2: 36
    Not inverted, Stable.

Disable C1E Enhanced halt state:
    CPU: 30
    Core 1: 33
    Core 2: 35
    Idle temps fluctuating between cores, no inversion.

Enable C1E and disable Virtualization Technology:
    CPU: 30
    Core 1: 27
    Core 2: 30
    Core/CPU temps invert occasionally.

Disable both C1E and VT:
    CPU: 28
    Core 1: 35
    Core 2: 34
    Nothing wrong here.

Run Orthos:
    CPU: 38
    Core 1: 36
    Core 2: 35
    Inverted CPU/core temps, rather low temps but only one minute into Orthos.

Enable VT:
    At Idle:
    CPU: 24
    Core 1: 27
    Core 2: 28

Orthos 1 minute:
    CPU: 37
    Core 1: 40
    Core 2: 36
    Average Core temp above CPU temp, no inversion. Reasonable numbers.

Enable C1E:
    (Forgot to write down idle temps but were OK)

Orthos 1 minute:
    CPU: 41
    Core 1: 42
    Core 2: 40
    Almost inverted but at this point I'm OK with these numbers.

I concluded that by leaving C1E and V.T. on I get reasonable numbers at idle and under load.
    C1E causes idle temp fluctuations that get worse when overclocked.
    VT disabled causes Core/CPU temp inversions.

As you mentioned before CPU temp should be lower than core temp. Apparently the tolerance on this is 1-15 degrees. I get about a 1 degree lower case temp most of the time so I'm OK with that.

I'll have to look at the fan settings. I haven't changed the default settings in bios. They seem OK though.
    I wish someone would tell me the correct way to connect a 3 pin case fan to a 4 pin CPU fan header on the board. It works but never changes speed. I have it plugged into the left 3 pins of the header. Thats where the key on the connector plug allows it to fit. Is that right?
    Cheers,
    Frank

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

fasfrank,
    Usually the plug has a slot in it to match which pins it's connected to on the MB. I'm not sure about the speeds though! My MB only controls the CPU fan through PWM to match the fan. The other fan plug on the MB is not affected by it at all! There are a couple of other settings for fan control as well, but the PWM is the best by far when you have a PWM fan Like I have on my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. It gives very linear response to the fans and the change is always on a sliding scale rather than just a sudden burst of speed. I have the speed controller that came with the Silverstone mounted in one of the 5.25" bay blanks. Basically I've set it at 1600 RPM and have never had to change it other than to test different speeds initialy. It all just seems to work the best this way!

The Silverstone can go as high as 2400 and 110 CFM. Mine is blowing about 70 CFM and is extremely quiet doing it. As Sam pointed out it's not too good in an aluminum case as he gets noises I've never heard, that are very annoying. They're on the expensive side at $16 (USD) but on the plus side they come with a controller and are double ball bearing. At 1600 RPM it moves about twice as much air as the stock Cooler Master fan that came with the case did, at about half the noise. At 2400 RPM it would be difficult to even stay in the same room, but if your CPU fan ever goes out, it will keep the CPU cool! Great Fan! Very highly recommended!

Clock On,
    theone :}

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

fasfrank,

They install just as described above , using pins 1,2,&3 of mobo socket. However, PWM (Power management control from CPU) will not control 3-wire fans. So you need to if given the option, set CPU Fan in BIOS to DC mode (all ASUS w/ 4-pin PWM headers) to allow DC control of 3rd wire from mobo BIOS. Some fan controllers can except the PWM signal and act on 3-wire fan but w/ not so accurate control. On ASUS mobos w/ good ampage on 4th pin, you can series 2 more PWM fasn to except PWM control from CPU load (ie. 2 case fans).

And that's what's Clockin' like it

Hope that helps

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 4th pin varies pulses of current to the fan, 3 pin systems only work by changing the voltage, which of course isn't needed in a 4 pin environment.

5. Lii

Lii Member

Overclocking kills the CPU faster ;)

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Lii,

Thanks for the heads up.........ROFL!!!!!

7. Lii

Lii Member

That hasn't, of course, kept me from doing it :)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lii,
    It all depends on the CPU temps! My C2D idles at 26-28C! It will last longer than me! ROFL!!

Clock On,

9. crowy

crowy Guest

Iv,e yet to see someone keep an overclocked cpu long enough to see it fail.

10. Lii

Lii Member

That is a good point... It all depends on how its done and with what hardware. But I'm not about to get into that, because it's me bedtime now! :O

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    My D-940 ran for 2 months at 3.81GHz. I upped it to 3.94 for another 2 months until I finally hurt the MB! Ran it for the final 8 months at 3.71. It's my roomies now and it still runs fine! Even cooler since I modded the heat sink with AS5. MB dropped 13C, from 47 to 33-34C! All were on air I might add!

I had a Prescot 3.0GHz/800 at 3.84 for a year! Now that's a hot chip! LOL!! Sold it when I built the D-940 and it still runs great!. The only CPU I ever lost was one that had been a machine that the PS went up in smoke and burned out damn near everything in the computer. I put the CPU in another MB and it lasted about 3 days! Everything else in the computer it came out of, was dead. My buddy and I were sitting there fooling around with it, and it must have seen an ugly woman because there suddenly was a tiny "Nuclear" looking puff of smoke from below the CPU cooler and then nothing! LOL!! The computer the CPU came out of melted the memory sockets, Blew out the DVD-Rom and the floppy! MB was shot too! I guess you would call that a total loss. I have an HP Celeron D 2.8 sitting in my living room for a customer and it's completely dead too! 100% junk except for the case! LOL!!

Clock On,

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lii,
    High quality components as far as MB, PS and memory makes things a bit easier too! Of course I had to learn that lesson the hard way! LOL!!

When I built this one I asked other people in the forum for their opinion on all the important choices I was making when I selected what parts I wanted. I've been building computers for over 20 years and have built something like 247 to date, but I've only been overclocking for about 3 years. Whole different world! Those inexpensive 400 watt power supplies I used in unstressed business computers just weren't up to the task. Now I take my time, ask other opinions, make my choices based on the information I get from knowlegeble people and then build.

This E4300 has A GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 v1.33 MB, 2 GB of high quality G.Skill DDR2800 memory, a nice solid Thermaltake 500 watt PS, XFX 7600GT PCIex16 video, Nice Cooler Master Cavalier case. Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, a Seagate Sata 3 160GB drive and some fan mods on the case! It's overclocked to 3.276GHz (82%), the memory is overclocked to 910MHz and the video card is OC'd to 7600GT Fatal1ty specs at 653/1600 for core and memory. It all runs sweet! Very fast, very cool and very quiet! I would say I made some wise decisions! Thanks for the help guys. You all know who I mean!

Quality is everything, as it only takes one bad choice (usually based on money) in any component to make the whole job a bear! LOL!!

Clock On,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  13. synteck

synteck Guest

I need a good fan or better a water cooling kit most likley i'll go for zalman reserator 2 any suggestions pls? (dual core 3.4 cpu)

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think bigdk put together a full list of parts for a vgood watercooling setup in the offical cooling thread (its one of the other stickies) im sure that would help you out.

15. synteck

synteck Guest

hence what do you think about the zalman ?

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i know almost nothing about watercooling, bigdik does hence his post about a good setup in the cooling thread.

from what i read it is ok as a passive res because it is big, but how it compares to a quite activly cooled res.....i would guess not to well. we are in wrong thread really for this kind of chat tho.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know someone who uses a Reserator with a fan put in it anf supposedly gets great temps.

18. synteck

synteck Guest

you mean a fan next to the radiator ad still gets high temps?

19. durch

durch Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do my first overclock and was wondering if anyone would like to help me out. For starters, is this the correct place to post this or should I start a new thread? (new to this web site). I have been reading up for the past week or two and feel like I have a good base of knowledge but would like someone(s) experienced to confirm that I'm about to do the correct thing lol. I think the first step is to flash my BIOS, as this computer is now a year old and my BIOS is from 5-11-2006. I've never done this before and am a bit nervous. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

20. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Hi Durch,

If your system is running stable at the moment, you shouldnt just flash your bios to the newest, you only realy need to flash your bios if your system is having problems recognising your processor ect.

Ie when i upgraded to an Amd 3700 san diego on my msi k8n neo platinum board, I lost the option for command rate in my bios, this was due to the bios not recognising the processor as, it was E6 stepping, if the chip had been E4 stepping the mobo would have recognised it. In the end I had to hastle Msi for an unreleased bios to fix this problem.

If you have had your system a year and its running stable at the moment , thats probably a good base to start your overclocking on.

If you post the specs of your components on here, it will help people give advice.

dont forget to include memory , processor , motherboard, powersupply, cooling as these are all important factors.