1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. durch

durch Member

ck5134,

Thanks for the advice. My system specs are listed in my signature, I think that should be enough info but let me know if you need more.

While I agree that my current BIOS version is probably fine for overclocking, I want to learn as much as I can during this first overclock. I'm not only doing this for better performance but also to learn more about this stuff :) Plus, I've read that updating the BIOS usually gives you more options for overclocking. I currently have version 0302 and the newest version (the one I downloaded) is version 1101.

I think I have the process down, I just need to burn the DOS iso image to a CD and restart my computer with this CD in the drive. Once it loads DOS, I take out the iso image CD and insert the CD with the AWDFLASH exe and the 1101 bin file, right? Then I manually type in "AWDFLASH.exe" and then "1101.bin" when prompted, correct? Then wait until it's completely done and tells me to restart, and I'm all set. Seems easy enough, unless I'm missing something important, but that's why I'm posting here :) Below are screenshots of the two CDs I plan to burn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you can, ensure that you have an uninterruptable Power supply hooked up to your PC for the procedure. if the power goes out during a BIOS flash, your motherboard may very well be dead.

3. durch

durch Member

Yea I've got that covered, it's hooked up to a backup battery. Does that procedure I listed sound correct?

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The principle you listed sounds correct, but bewarned, many later releases of official BIOSes cause more problems than they solve. I have a very similar board to you, the P5N-E SLI, and one of the only BIOSes that isn't fatally flawed to the extent you have to warranty return the motherboard is the one it comes with.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you can also use the in bios flash tool too if you copy the bios to a flash or floppy drive.

edit

just my opinion but i would try your current bios for ocing first and see how far you get, then try flashing it to other versions and see if they more feature rich for ocing or less so as may be the case.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

durch,

Be warned! Some motherboards will not let you go backwards with bios revisions once you've upgraded. I ran into that problem on a P5N-E where it would not allow you to go to an earlier bios revision. Whether it was just that particular MB or revision, I don't know.

Clock On,
    theone :}

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence regarding flashing to the latest OFFICIAL BIOS prior to OC'ing. I know with my mobo there were many more features in the latest bios and if you wait to flash it until after you have OC'ed you will have to OC all over again since the new bios sets everything back to default settings.

You should be able to flash it with a usb thumb drive or floppy or use asusupdate which uses windows environment. with asusupdate simply download the new bios somewhere on your hdd (desktop for example) then locate and select the file when updating.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@Mort,
    Hey Mort, I'm still using 1901 in both my P5W-DH boards. I think there is one version newer bios available and I'm wondering if I should flash to this. Is there any improvement in anything?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm still using 1901 too. I woudn't worry about upgrading to to latest. My bios when I got the mobo was 1305 and lacked several features. the latest bios probably only upgrades for vista or something I don't need. you should be good to go.

11. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I'd like some advice on how to overclock my E6420 Core 2 Duo more than I currently have. The highest speed I was able to reach was 2.28GHz by increasing the Front Side Bus speed in my motherboard's BIOS from 266 to 286MHz, and I can't go any further as my computer decides to turn on with no video output or power light when I put it at 287 or more, and I have to flip the power switch in the back before I can use the computer again(restores my default setup). Is there any way I can overclock it more than that? I'm using an ASUS P5B-VM motherboard.

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Overclocking tends to make things unstable which is countered by increasing the voltage to the cpu. This causes your cpu's temperature to rise so you have to watch that.

One small step at a time works best for me. I'm new to this so this is what I do...
    I'll increase the FSB by a small amount, say 5 to 10 Mhz for the inital overclocking and then do a stability test by running at 100% load with Orthos for 15 minutes or so. If that holds, I'll add another 5 Mhz to the fsb. If it fails to boot or crashes during the stability test, I'll add one step of Vcore voltage and test again. I watch temps with Everest running. I write down all my readings so I have an idea of how things are progressing. If I start seeing lots of Vcore needed for small increases in fsb speed then I know I'm getting close to my OC limit.

You don't have to stress test to overclock if you simply want to see how fast you can get it going and still boot into Windows. That's not for me though. I'll run the stress tests.

I don't keep any of my rigs overclocked at their maximum. I back it down so I'm not using more than about 1.45 Vcore volts.
    I had my E6700 up to 3.8 Ghz but that was with a bunch of Vcore added and it was running 62°C which is hotter than I like. I use 55°C as a temp limit and 1.45 volts for overclocks I'll keep. These are on the high side of what you would want if you plan on keeping your processor for awhile.

You also have to watch your memory speed if it's linked to your fsb speed. I keep my memory on my Asus boards set to use SPD and keep the speed below whatever the memory is rated for until I get my cpu overclocking done. Then I'll tweak that. You may be pushing your memory speed too much along with the cpu so check that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A better cooler is recommended, and then you can start upping the voltages more safely. 1.4V is about all I'd recommend going up to without causing a shorter lifespan!

14. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Actually, I'm not doing anything to my memory. All I'm doing is increasing the speed of my processor. I don't think that can be a problem. But the biggest problem I have is to increase the Vcore voltage, as it seems as though it's a killer if it's raised too much. I'll try with minor adjustments until I can get my Core 2 Duo to reach at least 2.66 GHz in order to meet the recommended requirements in terms of processor speed for my most demanding game(Colin McRae DiRT).

EDIT: Here's some stuff I was able to gather up on my processor temp. and VCore voltage:

Processor temp.: 46 degrees celcius
    Mobo temp.: 43 degrees celcius
    VCore voltage: 1.296 volts

What's the highest temperature that the Core 2 Duo can operate at?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Modern games don't usually prevent you from installing based on mhz since "3Ghz or above" had to cover the slowass P4s. Athlons never officially went that high, EVER, and the Core 2s don't without an overclock. That's a big market to price yourself out of!

16. crowy

crowy Guest

Ace_2,

If your having to turn off/turn on your psu to get it to reboot I'd say your psu is the problem and one day soon it will go "Fizz Bang Pop and all that"......(Thanks sam!!!)

What psu are you running??

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well... 46°C would be hot if that's your idle temp but would be reasonable under full load.
    I would agree about the power supply being a problem if you have to switch it off and on to get a reboot... I'd want to test it more though. Do like you said and start from default settings.
    If I were you I'd test each overclock setting with a stress program. That way if and when you reach a point of instability it should just error the stress program and not crash the PC. Try Orthos. You can get it here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/Orthos_Stress_Prime_2004.html

While you are running Orthos, run CoreTemp along side so you can monitor your temperatures:
    http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

You should also have CPU-Z:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    That will show you what your overclock settings are as well as a bunch of other stuff.

BTW, as far as GHz requirements go, you can think of any C2D processor as having double what it's rating is, A 2.40 GHz C2D is equivalent to a 4.8 GHz single core processor. That's not technically correct but it works out that way performance wise.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

as you increase the buss speed (cpu frequency) you are also increasing the dram (memory) frequency (unless your mobo bios has the option to unlink the fsb:dram ratio). eg: if you are using DDR2 800 memory and it defaulted to or you had it set at 800mhz origially/stock, the memory frequency will also increase as you raise the cpu frequency.

the better quality memory you have, the more it will run over it's rated speed. some memory won't tolerate much. you always need to run the memory at or below it's rated speed (800mhz or below for DDR2 800) while you OC your cpu (to take the memory out of the equation) until you reach the limit of your cpu OC or reach the point you want to OC the cpu. memory speed can definately cause problems when OC'ing the cpu.

raising the vcore shouldn't cause a problem OC'ing the cpu but rather it is requirement. it will however cause the cpu to run hotter. I can't find the spec voltage for the E6420 but for the E6400 it is .850 - 1.3525. yours is only at 1.296. as long as you have a good aftermarket cpu hsf and the cpu temp under load doesn't exceed 60C, you shouldn't have any problems setting the vcore to 1.4000.

keep in mind, the recent C2D's are not as OC friendly as the early released C2D's.

what memory do you have (speed and cas), what frequency is it set at, what are the timings set at, what is the spec voltage for your cpu and what cpu hsf are you using?

20. crowy

crowy Guest

Ace_2,

Try setting everything in you bios to stock settings except vcore.

Set it at 1.6v and boot the computer.

If you get into windows, get coretemp and orthos as fasfrank said.

Set the test to small fft's.

Have coretemp running alongside then start the test.Leave it to run for an hour or so(if your temps are ok) and see how you go.

If it shuts down I'm 99.9% sure your psu is heading west.

If it doesnt hiccup leave the voltage at 1.6 and slowly increase your fsb(by 10mhz increments)and see how far you get before it shuts down.