1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. crowy

crowy Guest

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

16 decibels, as if. Lol if there's one company whose noise readings I ignore, it's Thermaltake. A 21dB case fan from thermaltake is as loud as a 35dB case fan from Antec, and I trust them to know more about noise than Thermaltake.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,
    The beauty and appeal of the Big Typhoon lies in its fan. We have always preached the value of low RPM high flow 120mm fans. The Typhoon’s fan spins at a grandma’s pace of 1300RPM but still moves a reported 54.4 cubic feet of air per minute. Air flow at this rate out of a 60 or 80mm fan would surely make you grit your teeth. Not so with the Big Typhoon's 120mm.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Big_Typhoon/pg3.html

Acousticaly, the Big Typhoon is quiet, but not dead silent. It has a low rumble to it. Of all the coolers I've looked at, the Big Typhoon is certainly the quietest. It generates just a tiny bit more noise than any of the other fans in my system; I'm using components from HIS and Antec whom are notorious for quiet components.

http://www.overclockersonline.net/index.php?page=articles&num=289&pnum=5

Overall, the idle results for the Big Typhoon are excellent given it uses an almost silent 1300-RPM fan.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=396&p=4

4. crowy

crowy Guest

sorry!!

Double post:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  5. crowy

crowy Guest

sorry triple post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  6. crowy

crowy Guest

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol, it's ok I've been doing itrecently, some aD issues me thinks.
    As for the typhoon, 1300rpm would be quiet for a good fan like a Scythe, but the Thermaltake one I had was rough, to say the least. Theone reckons it was a bad sample, but it didn't sound much noisier than other fans such as the Silverstone or Antec at similar rpms, but the sound quality was horrible, and that is probably what would make a low dB fan audible.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Mort,
    Once you have the Thermalright 120's backplate installed you don't have to remove the motherboard to remove the heatsink. It has an adhisive material that sticks it to the back of the board. I suppose if you didn't remove the paper that covers the adhesive on the backplate it might slip. I've removed it a couple of times without problems.

[​IMG]

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

@fasfrank,

oh I see. I was wondering what kept it in place. still a little different than the zalman method of mounting the backing plate, they hold theirs on with screws.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And the screws aren't the standard sort, so if you lose them like I did...
    Fortunately for me they turned up, but it's always something to be wary of.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@crowy

quad posts ftw! get in there! lol :)(sry couldnt help it)

@sam
    just turn your hsf around so it doesnt blow into your psu(you know you can), or switch your cases and have it blowing out the 200mm fan in the roof.

if your looking for somthing to just spend cash on i have seen one that has heatpipes that are in contact with the cpu which has to improve the thermal transfer away from your cpu. cant think of its name off the top of my head but i will link to it when i find it again.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can only do that if I cut the corner off the heatsink, and since I want something quieter anyway, i think a Thermalright will eventually be on the cards.

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm Orthos stress testing both of my E6700 machines this morning, I have a Zalman 9500 on one and the Ultra 120 Extreme with Scythe fan on the other.

I have 3.6 GHz @67°C Tcase temp with the Zalman 9500 and 3.7 GHz @63°C with the Ultra. The Ultra is on the 680i board, the Zalman is on the P5W-DH board. I have the case sides off and the ambient temp is 24°C (and rising) The Ultra is definitely outperforming the Zalman 9500, running 100MHz faster yet 4°C cooler. I imagine the Zalman 9700 would do better than it's little brother.
    This is about as hard as I can run these two machines. They've warmed the room up about 5°C.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

good thing the thermostat for central air isn't in that room :) rest of the house would be cold and the electric bill high.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's good to hear, how fast are you running the S-Flex and the 9500?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

fasfrank,
    I'm not understanding what that means, Tcase temp??? Those temps are hotter than Death Valley! What's the CPU and MB temps? Is this normal, because if it is, I don't want one! LOL!! I saw 62C once for the CPU running OCCT on my D-940, but it was running at 3.94GHz at the time.

Clock On,
    theone

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You didn't, marsey99 did. He mentioned something about lighter weight and I was wondering what cooler he was talking about. It couldn't be the Thermalright as it weighs 855 Grams with the fan!

Why is your Freezer 7 exhausting into the PS? Gina had no problem mounting hers on her P5N-E pointing towards the rear case fan! You also mentioned that you could only turn it like that if you cut the corner off the heatsink, so I'm puzzled????

Clock On,
    theone

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't fit on mine! Maybe they redesigned the chipset heatsink on the P5N-E?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Here's a pic from Newegg. The only thing I see different from Gina's is the Southbridge heatsink. There was none on hers! I swiped one from and Asrock MB that was dead and installed it before I shipped it to Chicago. Same as the pic! LOL!!

[​IMG]

You modded the chipset, right? Maybe you got it turned around the wrong way. It has more fins on one end than on the other. I was on the phone with Gina when she installed it, and she was prepared to bend one of the fins if need be with a small pair of pliers, but she didn't have to. She said that it was very close though! I never touched her Northbridge heatsink as it ran so cool I didn't see the need as the MB temps were in the low 30Cs. I modded the one on the first (Bad) MB and she had a fit because she didn't think they would take it back because I modded it!

You probably noticed that because of the type of mount it is, with the spring clips that you can move it around a bit until the AS5 cures. You might try pushing it away from the CPU socket just a tad. Won't hurt anything and it doesn't lose contact with the chip. I did that with some others in the past and it worked fine. The PS gets hot enough in it's own without having the CPU heat blowing into it. This might well be behind your higher temps, especially since your PS vents some of it's heat back inside the case through the side vents on the PS. My PS is almost identical to yours except the fan is 120mm instead of 140mm and I had heat problems inside the case because of it. That's why I bought the Silverstone. The difference in the amount of heat coming out of the back of the PS, is staggering. It was uncomfortably hot before the Silverstone was installed and now it's barely warm. My MB temperatures dropped like a brick! They usually run in the mid 30Cs and will hit 40C running OCCT for 12 hours. 40C was the low before I installed the Silverstone.

This is what I'm getting to replace the 2 80mm fans that are installed now. I'll just add the controls to the 5.25 blank I have the 120 mounted on now and it should be good to go!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220023

Cooling isn't a problem but the 80mm fan I added to the side cover wasn't new as it came with my black generic case I had before the CM Cavalier, and it's getting louder by the day so I want to replace it. I figure while I'm doing that I might as well replace the "lame" Cooler Master 80mm in the front as well. It's very easy to do as all I have to do is remove 4 screws from the lower aluminum panel, slip out the hard drive and it comes right out. Then I'll be able to fine tune the airflow to noise ratio pretty well. The minimum airflow is 25.6 cfm @1300 rpm, with a maximum of 74.5 cfm @3600. Since I'm only looking for about 30 cfm or thereabouts, it should be much quieter in the long run. I'm guessing about 1400 to 1500 rpm should do the trick!

Sidenote:It's interesting, Cooler Master does not sell either the 120mm or the 80mm fans that come with the case. They only are available with a new case! With a different PS, they do the job but are a bit noisy. With the Thermaltake, they suck!

Clock On,
    theone :>

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't done anything to the chipset heatsink, but like Gina's, mine has no southbridge sink. It stays at 42C or so though, so it's not a huge concern.