1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Mod the chipset cooler then with some AS5 or Ceramique. Before it cures, you'll find that you can slide it around quite a bit. More than enough to install the cooler facing the rear case fan instead of the PS. You will find that the MB temp will drop to about 35C and your case and power supply temperatures will go down as well! Your CPU temp will go down too! Hey, it's a free mod that can be done in just a few minutes and without tools! Hardest part of the job is cleaning the thermal compound off of the chip and heatsink

Clock On,
    Russ

2. crowy

crowy Guest

sam and marsey and everyone,

Don't know what happened last night.

I sent the original post but my screen didn't go to the forum it just stayed on the reply page.So I hit reply again,same thing.Then I tried again,same thing.So I quit before I filled up 3 pages!!!...LOL!!!

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To: theonejrs & others,

I do a lot of the same type of test but make a point of using the same CPU, mobo, PSU, Case and room at same time of day. I have not yet had any of the Artic coolers since the Pro 64 when new and nothing current to refferance it to. I can only state it was louder then most in my test bed at time mid '05.

Never said anything wrong about this, but "YES" it does happen more then you wanna' see, both here and on many other sites. Many rather hear from us, the end user and not some lab.

As far as ThermalRight goes, the Ultra is usually on sale and can be had for $14.99 (Pro 64) & $19.99 (LGA775) less fan. However all ThermalRight coolers use a standard off the shelf DC fan of various sizes. Honestly, how many of us builders here would NOT have an extra DC 80, 92, or even 120mm fan to spare for their CPU cooler. And if not, can easily be had for as little as $1. - $5. USD. So it makes it exactly the same as the Artic Cooler for Intel & $3.00 less then A64 version ($23.99 CA, USA [http://www.svc.com/arcticcooling-cpu.html]). Yet with plenty of headroom to advance later.

Answer, we all did and will. Copper does cool much better then aluminum but a copper counterpart of any aluminum would be much heavier. and in most case only a 2 - 4C drop.

Nobody I know OC'n will use these performance sinks w/o a fan. I do it as a test to show performance. Any good solid copper design can run as stock w/o fan. it would take nearly twice the aluminum to do this. But if ultra quiet is what one was after, then this is very much so w/ the biggest ThermalRight you can cram in your case. Even add a low spd 6 - 8db fan and still good to go for mdeium OC'n.

So the real story here is we buy what we like and stick with what we trust. It's safer for most that way. But most enthusiest take chances, so as soon as something new comes anlong to offer an edge on performance, we jump at a chance to try it. I did. And I too will stick with it till I get something else in my shop to show it up. I did the same w/ Zalman when ThermalRight came along in early '03. For friends & Family, I use Zalman cause they ask for them or they just look cool. I'm sure if 2 or more of the regulars here moved to another make/model, you'll see a trend go w/ it.

In the end, yes, the Artic appears to be a good low cost buy in if starting from scratch and not wanting to do a lot. Maybe soon I'll just grab one up for $19.99 on sale and run my own test and share it w/ my friends here and see what they think. It has made quite an impression on many to make it worth looking into.

That's what's Clockin' like it!

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Sam,
    Everest is reporting the Scythe running at 1520 and the 9500 is running at 2766.

I called CPU temp Tcase for some reason.
    They are hot but only for the Orthos test.
    I'm getting good 3DMark06 numbers for being air cooled and GTS cards:

[​IMG]

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the ThermalRight Ultra came out when only 939 was out so no AM2 bracket but easily added later as needed. No s478, but one can be modded if you are a serious enthusiest.

Mort81; what actually keeps the backplate in place is the through bolt post. The tape just keeps it in place if you lift the mobo off standoffs. Also the threading is identical to the 1st backplate like this so once installed, no need to ever remove unless chaning mobo, which will likely be out dated before coller. Furthermore, the backplate is the same as Zalmans less it being plastic, so if reomivng is such achore for some, consider that. And as you said nedding to save money but want upgrade, then by all means go for the $39.95 ThermalRight XP120 (5 copper pipe v/s 3) model over the ThermalTake big typhoon. With room to add quiet Sythe fan later

fasfrank; I got the Zalman 9700 cause I like them, but it only got me 2c lower then 9500 on the same test bed but the Ultra 120eXtreme gave 3 lower then 9700 and 1c lower my Ultra non eXtreme @ idle and 9700 was 3c lower then 9500 but Ultra eXtreme was 5c less then 9700 under load and again the non eXtreme onle was 2c difference. E6600 to 3.856 @ 9x428 on P5WDG2-WS in SilverStone tunneled BTX like case w/ both at full spd (Sythe 1600 RPM). Major difference though, the ThermalRight can keep cool under hotter room temp to 23c when over 37c outside.

This is an Overclockers tread and this only seams fair to mention the performance coolers even if they are often more expensive. If one can spend over $200. on a case then why not $60 if theat on a good CPU cooler. Or yet the others who claim noise is not the isse but move to the more expensive water set, skipping the better air solutions altogether and only to run at mild OC. But hey it' all cool.

Get your Clock on!

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@NuckNFuts,
    I saw on the Thermalright FAQs that you don't even have to pull paper from the backplate if you don't want it stuck to the board. I'd just be concerned about pushing the thing out of the holes while trying to get the first screw started. Probably wouldn't but it if it came out of the holes you would have to pull the board.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The through bolt studs stan as tall as the short style ATX standoffs so it can barely move underneeth on the smallest standoffs post. even on the tall style, the mounting post are long enough to keep it in place. You will have to press down against spring tension (these are tight). Nevertheless, it will have play if not taped but willl not move from side to side because of the stud post coming up through mobo holes. I never taped mine either cause it breaks loose after a few mountings so I just replace w/ universual double sided tape to get inital install going. But then I remove so many mobos, it's not a big deal here.

And the Clock goes on!

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Of all the talked about PSU's lately, I have not heard much mention of the better eXtrme overclocker type from SilverStone or OCZ. Of corse I use both and have had good results with them. I only had 1 OCZ550w PowerStream blow out while under heavy load but I am still in question as ifit was more to be a mobo pwr issue as it was the 2nd PSU to go on the same mobo different CPU's. more on that if interested. ASUS A8N-SLI Premium w/ x2 4400 to 2.85GHz

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So the Thermalright cools better than a 9700, and at those fan speeds will be much quieter. It would also be easier to clean than the Zalmans which are near impossible.
    As for the PSUs, OCZs always seemed very professional ,but that's the old powerstream models, the more recent gamexstream series is questionable due to the high levels of ripple people report, and the proxstream series are deafening and pointless. 1KW PSUs are obscene.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    My tests all were done with the same exact setup, just switched coolers. All three platforms were in the same kind of case with the same fans. Besides I only compared them one on one anyway, not across the different platforms. The 3 different Arctics all cooled better than the 9500LED. I can control the environment, plus this wasn't a few hour test. I lived with each setup until the thermal compound had cured, just to be fair. It took me about 2 months to compare every one of them and they all were left on pretty much all the time! Like I said, when you are recuperating from a heart attack, you have lots of time on your hands. I wouldn't go through all of that today! LOL!!
    One of the things that made me decide to join this forum a few years back was the honest approach to things. If you claimed it, then proof was required. It wasn't a question of trust, as there are certain folks in this forum I would trust with my life, or do anything for! It was required to keep a level playing field for everyone. If you show the truth, then there are no questions unanswered! The first time I was asked for a screenshot to back up something I said, I was insulted! Newbie that I was! LOL!!

I wasn't a newbie to building computers as I had built over 200 at that time, but they were all stock machines for business purposes for other people and myself. my first CPU was an AMD 386/40 on a Systems and Technologies MB back in 89. When I first joined here I knew little or nothing about overclocking anything. I had been away from computers for over 5 years (got bored with them)! I learned most of what I know about oberclocking today from people like Sophocles, Brobear, BigOrange, AABBCCDD, docTY and a few others. Many more people have helped along the way since. I don't think any of those people would run right out and buy anything unless it was proved to them that you really found something at least as good or better than what they already had.
    Back in the old days I used to spend about $1500 to $3000 a month for computer components. Newest chipset, best new CPU, PS, video card, whatever. I would build it, play with it a while and sell it and move on to the newest tech without looking back. That's how I wound up building so many. I could afford to do it, so why not. There was no Internet so I became "the guy to see" if someone wanted a computer. The only way to buy a computer in those days was to build one, have one built for you or buy an HP or Compaq for huge dollars! Today, not many members of this forum run right out and buy the newest anything anymore. We had a big surge last year after the Conroe hit. The last big surge before that was with the AMD 64x2s. There just isn't enough to gain these days unless you are upgrading from a single core. It just costs too much with too little reward as computers have gotten so fast that it all becomes a bit redundant! I know I can get better performance if I yank the E4300 and replace it with an E6600, but not enough to make me spend the money needed to do it! For what? To take maybe 5 minutes off of my DVDRB/CCE times? I could overclock my 3.0/800 Prescot 29% and it's rebuilder times are still more than 4 times slower than with my E4300 at 3.276GHz. They would still be faster than the P4 if it was running stock at 1.8GHz! Today's enthusiests have changed. Today most want the best bang for the buck, not the best bang.

That's what makes forums like this so great. Look at the mix we have in this one. We still have folks with single core AMDs and Intels, Socket A, 754, 939, 478, 775 and AM2s. All different platforms, tweaked out as best as they can be for what they are. In a sense most of us have learned to be patient as we all know that in time the prices of everything will go down and be more affordable for everyone. We have become smart enough to know that you can build a very capable brand new C2D for under $750 USD that's reasonably close to the performance of a good E6600. There just isn't enough incentive there to spend the extra bucks!
    That's because we are a hell of a lot more honest with each other. I do all my testing in the case with the covers on compared to a lot of places like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech who do their cooler tests in a big air-conditioned room breadboard fashion. I attribute my very low temps to a better than average knowlege of airflow characteristics, lots of trial and error and some plain dumb luck. I'm still in the process of fine tuning the airflow throughout the case. I'm going to change 2 of the fans to something that moves more air with less noise who's speed can be adjusted, and I should be able to fine tune it to any configuration I ever want to put in this case. I fully expect to see hybrid self contained sealed water cooled/heatpipe coolers in the not too distant future. In fact a friend just informed me that Kingwin has one already out!

Clock On,
    theone :}

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fast, adjustable fans? What might those be? lol
    I'm soon going to take the plunge and install the Scythe fans, I'll see what my PC sounds like then.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I don't know! Silver something! LOL!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220023

Sounds? Sounds!!! I thought you didn't want no stinkin sounds!
    ROFLMAO!!

Clock On, (quietly)
    theone :<}

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol ideally i don't, but that'd be na ideal world, since the chips on my GPU and the backlight in my monitor make a noise, I'll have to live with something.

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I hear ya there theonejrs. I do my testing in A/C room to down to 20c for my use but allow it to hit27c or so for endurence. Since the case plays a good role in temps, I use the same exact unit for all to refference as well as same PSU (due to fan and spd configuration). If changing platform, again same case and PSU.

I for myself go medium budget, high performance. But I do for test like to play round w/ low price per performance ratios. Like the P4 506 to 4.1GHz on ThermalRight air (Zalman 9500 did it too but @ bit higher temp) or the later D805 to 4.1same coolers on air or my old fave, the P4 2.4cto 3.2 on Danger Dan RBX water block, I put the money in the components and just bout any good CPU I dropped in did great.

For my units on air, I thrive for as little fan count as needed to keep it cool yet quiet.

Clock On, Clock fast,
    The Clocker!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    About like me! I've been real pleased with this one. I am so happy I didn't get the P5N-E I was planing on getting! This is a really great MB! An 82% OC isn't too shabby for a low end C2D, and it runs so cool! My question is, how do you call 31,000 MIPS low end? LOL!!

I do my testing at about 26-27C. When I'm all done I take it up to 30C and run OCCT! That gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect from both the CPU and the MB. I've found that 30C is the point most temps start rising a bit with most computers! It generally idles about a degree or two above room temp. I can tell it's a bit chilly in here right now as it's idling about 25C and the MB is 34C and it's 24C in the room.

I plan on changing the 2 80mm fans in the near future with 2 Silverstones that deliver 25.6 to 74.5 cfm at 1300 to 3600 rpm. Should cool as well as it does now but be much quieter doing it! There's 7 fans running inside this thing with only 2 of them under any type of speed control. I run the Silverstone at 1600 and the PWM mode on the MB handles the Freezer 7. Even running OCCT for 12 hours only brings it to about 2100 rpm. I mounted the control for my 120mm Silverstone on a blank panel for the 5.25 bay (top) and I'll add the two additional ones to that. I shouldn't have to run them more than maybe 1500 rpm to equal or exceed the airflow I have now. I better do it pretty soon as the side fan is getting louder by the day. It's a shame though, as I love the deep rich blue color of the LEDs. Looks nice with the silver case. I've never seen another one like it, it's so dark, it's almost purple. The new ones will be white with no LEDs. No side window though, so no big!

Sam doesn't like the Silverstone very much, but I would buy it just for what it does for my PS temps. It pumps out a fat 35C, compared to the 55C+ it did with the stock Cooler Master 120mm. Also drops the MB temp about 6-7C. Hottest thing in the computer is the XFX 7600GT that I've overclocked to 653/1600 Fatal1ty specs. And it still runs cooler than my X800GTO on the D-940, which wouldn't OC at all! Oh well, at least it had 16 working pipes! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone {:>)

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the freezer pro cant be fitted normaly to a p5nesli with-out modding the fan mount or the nb. the fan mount is 5mm to wide and hits on the top of the nb hs. if you dont mod one or the other you can only atain about a 20% contact between the cpu and freezer pro base.

http://www.xigmatek.com/

these guys are making cpu hs that puts the heat pipes in contact with the cpu cover, which has to aid the thermal transfer. the xps-964 looks like it can move alot of heat to me but i have yet to see any real benchmarks to compare to the tt120 and other leading blowers. i have not seen the on sale yet too :(

edit

i too have an old astech nb hs on my sb which looks just like that in the pic.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I also have the quiet philosophy, but go for as many fans as possible. Two slow fans are quieter than one fast one!
    3600rpm 80mm fans? That's some real screaming potential you've got right there, to put it into perspective, Delta make fans that speed in the 80mm range.

18. neptune

neptune Regular member

i can overclock my cpu by 10% which will bring it to 2.20. atm i have it at 5% at 2.10.?? if i try to go to 2.30 it wont boot .. why ? .will i ever be able to overclock more than 10%?.and i do use the onboard graphics....if that makes a difference

WinXP Home Edition 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600) CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+, 2.10 GHz Video: Plug and Play Monitor on nVidia GeForce 6150 (1024x768x32bpp 85Hz) Sound: SoundMAX HD Audio O Memory: Used: 527/2015MB Uptime: 13h 47m 15s HD: [C:] 87.77/279.47 GB [E:DRV2_VOL1] 134.43/189.92 GB Connection: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport @ 100.0 Mbps (R

board and cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

10%'s reasonable for an X2 using the stock cooler, I could only get 9% out of mine. Depends on the board and memory. That's not a top board for overclocking, so I reckon if you play with the voltages a bit you may crack 15% but that'd be about it. Our overclocks are higher because we use Core 2 Duos, they're just better for it. A 2Ghz X2 is still not exactly slow though.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    As I said, Gina installed hers while I was on the phone with her and no mod was needed. I can assure you that with the temps she's getting I'm quite sure it's mounted properly.

Best Regards,
    theone :}