1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Zeone

Zeone Member

indienemo i have a question for ya, howd you pus your p4 that high i have a 3.4 coming in the mail i was wondering if i could oush it to 3.8 with that same motherboard is it possible?

2. Zeone

Zeone Member

indienemo i have a question for ya, howd you pus your p4 that high i have a 3.4 coming in the mail i was wondering if i could push it to 3.8 with that same motherboard is it possible?

3. Zeone

Zeone Member

indienemo i have a question for ya, howd you push
    your p4 that high i have a 3.4 coming in the mail i
    was wondering if i could push it to 3.8 with that same
    motherboard is it possible?

UGH im sorry i hit stop cause i made an error and it
    posted it this many times.. =/ sorry about that

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  4. askyew

askyew Regular member

indienemo The overclock I was referring to was done by fugger on a dfi board and a triple phase change unit. There is another overclock of 6ghz. done with the liquid nitrogen. Fugger was able to capture the world record on a modified phase change. I was saying that phase change is the best cooling solution available for purchase retail.

Zeone you can find out all about that motherboard here:
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/index.php?s=

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Its easy, its a stable temp. as well, and this is all done on a stock heatsink and fan... :), gonna get vapochill soon then you can overclock by one ghz..!

6. Zeone

Zeone Member

7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

it doesnt depend on the motherbaord really (as long as it actually supports overclocking), also ideally it should have an onboard fan over some of the chips but that doesnt reallly make to much difference. If i was you id check out my system and maybe go for PCI-E and DDR2 you know it makes sense. even if you dont though, invest in a really good heatsink and fan, and good system fans... if your totally serious whack out £300 on a second hand vapochill system then you can overclock by 1ghz...check out ebay.co.uk, on air you should get a max of 600/700 o/c...

8. askyew

askyew Regular member

Zeone do not buy an intel with the intention of overclocking it. Intel does not allow overclocking in their bios. If you want the best overclocker going right now it would be the dfi socket lga 775 with the intel canterwood chipset(875). The 875 has reached its maturity and dfi has the best implementation of it. If you are wanting cutting edge technology wait for the release of the dual core cpu to be released later in 05. Remember that intel is trying to lock the clock in their new 915-925 chipset, as of now they have been unsuccesful. I have not seen any stunning overclocks on the new chipsets yet, but that doesn't mean that they are not going to come as the chipsets mature. With proper cooling you can get 500mhz overclock with almost any MSI, ASUS, ABIT, or DFI motherboard providing your cpu/ram can do it. An exellent source for motherboard reviews can be found here:
    http://www.hardocp.com/reviews.html?cat=MiwsLCws

9. Zeone

Zeone Member

What motherboard would you reccomend that i could overclock decently well, and have atleast 533 mhz ram not over clocked, but it also has to have PCI-E cause i already have my video card Geforce 6600 GT PCI-E, Oh My Processor is 3.40 GHz, LGA775, 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz Front Side Bus, Thanks

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Thats about the same spex as mine, id go for my board its really good it has DDR2 @533mhz, PCI-E etc. its also ace for overclocking as it also comes with an overclockers clock that skits on your desk or wherever you want it, it reads out any temp you choose in your system and will beep it if goes too high, it also has fan control, user specific overclocks so you can do more or less when you choose.

11. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

Hi, first of all i want to say im kinda new to oc'ing and definatly to AMD

I made the switch because my roommate was moving out and it was his comp so i bought an AMD xp 3000+ barton and i know it has a 333mhz fsb

I also bought ddr400 and i was hoping you guys could help me to get the fsb of the comp to around 400 so i would have sync with the ram i have a volcano 8 and an asus a7v600-x motherboard just wondering what you guys could come up with....Thanks in advance

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I'd imagine youd need at least water cooling to do that.... altho I may be wrong, how many case fans do you have?

13. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

2 case fans and one Thermaltake A1390 (Volcano 8) i think i remember reading that i could get the fsb up to about 412 without liquid cooling with the fans that i have but cant remember where i read it. all i really want is to be able to use the ram at 400mhz and i heard that the sync might be off if my fsb is 333mhz and my ram is 400mhz and i would have to underclock my ram unless i could get my fsb to around 400mhz

14. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hiya neo 2120 your fsb is currently 166mhz. you will need a 33mhz overclock to reach your rams rated speed(ddr is double data rate so double the fsb). I am not an experienced amd oc'er but I would try raising the fsb to 200 at the cpu's natural multiplier. If it fails to post lower the multiplier until it posts at 200 fsb. Be sure the memory is set to spd. Post back with any questions. where is Praetor when you need a good AMD man?

I almost forgot that that via does not have pci/agp locks so you will most likely have to change the dividers. This is very true if you are running an ati based card as they do not work very well as you begin to pass the low 70's with them. Are you running a sata drive or ide?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  15. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

Thanks for the info askyew and if you need toknow anything about my specs i believe i have put everything in my sig below if not let me know thanks

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

thatll be IDE then..

17. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

yea i know just thought since i was about the only one in the forum with out my specs in my sig that i would just put them there

18. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

askyew im unfamiliar with pci/agp locks if i overclock with my board what would i have to do to change the dividers to ensure that there will be no problem because i have a ati video card

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

yep... you are now a proud member of the lame sigs group, congrats! :)

20. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

HEY ALL!

Im new to the O'c world.. and i want to know what i could do to this sys.

P4 1.4
    768 of ram
    256 nVIDIA FX 5700LE
    120gig

the case is open

I want to know if any1 has been able to overclock the P4 1.4 and what is its MAX.. I have changed the voltage and got like a 5-7% overclock using EVEREST H.E, but i think thats not good enough,,, I have no extra FANS or HEATSINKS all stock.. can Some1 Please Help me out