1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. neptune

neptune Regular member

thanks couldnt get the first to go to 4 but got it down to this
    Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
    Bank 0 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-4-4-12 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2
    Bank 1 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-4-4-12 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2
    ? in my bios there is 2 more settings trc and trwt . do i need to change these ? and where will i see a difference from doing this ..thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what settings do you have for those?

3. neptune

neptune Regular member

there both i think on auto// trc at 23

[​IMG]

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just leave them set on auto or wherever they're at.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

mines a later version but im happy for what its cost me.
    it does go higher but not 100% stable.

it does 440 on a x6
    410 on a x8
    367 on a x9

i run it at 3.28ghz when im doing something that needs the little bit of extra grunt but it runs @ 3ghz for everything else which in turn keeps my temps and the noise levels down.

i have now started to think that its my mobo that is stopping me here, after looking around, most people are only hitting upto 3.4ghz with it and only a couple have reported more than that.

the only thing here is to get another mobo with the same features it will cost a bit more than this one, is the extra few mhz worth the loss of my e-sata?

i have seen alot of people getting much higher from the older revision, upto 4.6ghz i think is current wr but that is with extreem cooling the best i have seen on air was 4ghz

6. crowy

crowy Guest

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

there is another of those "pin mods" that changes your fsb by connecting 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 pins on the right hand just above the notch, i will add link when i find that one.

i think it turns 800fsb to 1066 and 1066 to 1333, not 100% on this tho.

edit

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132900&highlight=fsb+pinmod

i still think dfi have gone all out for their fanbase with that one, i love their nb heatsink design.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  9. crowy

crowy Guest

Marsey99,
    I think that whole board reeks of quality!!!!

Then again i am slightly biased!!!!LOL!!!!

Here's a free benchmark program:
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

I think it's better than sandra(Just my opinion.)
    Have a try see what you think...

Regards Crowy.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    From what I gather it allows "lesser" MBs to allow higher clock settings by not being limited to an 800MHz fsb. Thay did mention that you needed to upgrade the bios to support 1066 or 1333 though. I don't have that problem with mine as it's native fsb is already 1333. Just sittin back waiting for the price of the new 1333 Quad Cores to get to an affordable price! I'm prepared! God, I sound like a Boy Scout! LOL!!!

BTW! I'm going to Thermaltake on Friday as they are only about 45 minutes away from me. Seems like most of the manufacturers are less than an hour away. Hopefully they will do the exchange on the PS so I don't have to miss my computer for too long! LOL!! I ordered the Silverstone 80MMs today, and they should be here tomorrow or Friday, so the timing couldn't be better! Hope they show tomorrow as it will give me something to do!

Clock On,
    theone

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

after seeing those pics i have to agree with you, solid caps, uv slots and a heat pipe nb cooler, if thats not a quality board i wouldnt know what is.

pc wizard is quite cool, its like everest and sandra but the best of it is its free for all its features. only downside i have found is some of the newwer dx10 cards make it crash but im sure an update will fix that.

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I've always favored DFI when it came to my AMD and nVidia needs of OC'n. I have not tested this one yet but it does offer some cool features for the LT verxion of the 680-SLI. DFI modded the LT chip to add used the 590 for MCP, Dual gigabit LAN, Link boost, Enhanced Proformance Profile (SLI-Ready Memory) to 1200MHz, an additional 8x PCI-E (16,16,8), and 10 USB.

It also brings to the descktop market for the 1st time, 6 phase digital VRM for CPU power regulation. ASUS brought us the 1st descktop EATX w/ 8phase but t was still anolog. Did a great job on my 1st P5N32-SLI Deluxe reguardless of its lacking OC'ability.

I used to buy DFI when they were the FRY's local back room bottom shelf "white box" special sold in small numbers to rather enthusiastic gamers & overclockers alike. They sure come a long way since then. Back when ABIT was still a top AMD OC'r to consider, w/ their 1st jumper free configuration, soft menu.

Have fun,

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah yes, and what of Abit now?
    DFI boards always seem to have the most overclocking features, but you'd have to know what you were doing, some of the features were pretty reckless! Like the one on the NF4 Ultra D for upping the DDR voltage from 2.7V to 4.0V!

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Ah, Abit, like ASUS has always bean there but justnot the top dog in my experiences during the Northwood on Canterwood days, (P4 on !875P. Lots of features but not the most stable on high OC's.
    They were so so to compete w/ DFI during the XP Athlon & early A64s.

in mid 2004, Abit brought in 19-year old Jonathan Wendel AKA: Fatal1ty. For those who don't know, Fatal1ty is the name used by Jonathan Wendel, one of the most respected gamers in the world.

Now working w/ Abit to help give gamers what they want from a gamers point of view. So then came the 1st Fatal1ty for the 1st LGA775 on !925x Intel chipset. Zalman quickly sighned him on to sponcer their new line of red collored LED w/ the Fatal1ty name to sport and geared toward the gamer market who favored the well respected name.

I jumped on the AA8XE (redo of the big luxerious IC7 MAX3 w/ new OATES cooling system. Cool boards, I still have em' both. Of corse we experienced know the 1st gen 925's did not OC too far cause of the Intel OC lock out built into chipset. But we can thank ASUS for bringing us this first BIOS hacl/exploit to unlock the OC potential of the !925XE w/ new Prescott.

I've haven't worked with another Abit since Fatal1ty II for !975x and it was fine for the time but nothing exciting and not to stable under high OC. Maybe some of our users here can give some more insite on the performance of Abit for OC'n a C2D today

Could this be why ASUS lost the Intel OEM build contract back then.
    Hey, they're only trying to give us tweekers what we want, more unlocks and extreme tweaker setting.

In case you hadn't heard!
    Clock On!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i know a direct comparison isnt realy fair....but.....well although as yet i have not tried to see if my new cooling will allow a higher oc i am mighty impressed with the mx-1. it is already 1c cooler than it was with our fave silver based stuff and will also get better with time. so 24 hours in it is already doing better.

the nocturn nc u6 looks real nice next to my freezer pro (looks like mini me) and it has allowed me to remove the whiney 60mm fan freom my case.

scythe s-flex fans, well they are quite quiet, about the same as the 7 pro at around 60%(ish) and they seem to do a very good job at removing the hot air. if i turn my pc off right now the inturnal temp will rise to around 29/30c (taken with probe in the top of case between dvd drives and psu) but within 1min of turning it back on the fans get it down to around 25/26c so.. happy with them too (nice1 sam:)).

£45 well spent :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Excellent stuff.
    Lol Nocturn, was that the work of a spell checker or just poor memory?
    Noctua ain't quite the same! it's latin for Owl I think.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    You are getting the same temps I get with my Freezer 7 Pro on mine, as the AS5 has finally cured completely. I just posted them on another Forum the other day. Glad you like your new fans. I'm on the Dell 420 as the PS in mine had to be shipped back to Thermaltake. They called this morning and told me that I couldn't bring it in, so It's on it's way, UPS. 11.39 volts under load is just not enough volts to keep the memory stable as the memory volts drop below 1.9 and it locks up. I miss my baby already! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

nope just me having a bit of brain frezze or something :)

what happend was, since the baby started to walk she has taken a liking to the pc. so to stop her from hanging on the wires around the back i have replaced the pc desk with a cupboard with doors so i can lock it away. now although this is great for securing it, it is crap for ventilation. the tower is now between 2 half inch pine sheets(side, panles whatever) and its not out in the open like it was. the knock on effect of this is all my temps went up about 5c, so i thought it was a good idea to beef up the cooling a bit. my cpu was idling at 36 and my mobo was at 38c with my hdds at 30c, but now they are a much more healthy 33c for cpu and mobo and 25c for my hds. this is only 30 hours after aplication. according to the box that the mx1 came in it will drop 8.5c after 200 after it cures, wehter it does or not only time will tell but so far so good.

this mx-1 stuff is mad gear tho, its like its a liquid rubber if you get it on your hands ( i know im a bit of a kid and just wanted to know what it felt like) but it s not at the same time. its hard to put into words, but my first impressions of it are good, even if its a bit of a pain to apply. i would say to any1 its worth giving it a go as it is cheap even if its just to compare your temps with it and as5. if my temps drop any more im sold on it, if not i might refit my hs's with as5 again to see if its just the better fans thats making the difference.

keep clockin cool :)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well I'm happy to say that I'm back running again. I started thinking that if I can repair electronic circuits in X-Rays and stuff like that, surely I can fix a Power supply if I can get the parts. I found one of the CM 500 watt power supplies that I thought I had thrown out after it went belly up. Checked it out and replaced the bad parts (VRMs) with heavier components from my local electronic parts store and I'm back in business! Ta Da!!! It'll do me until the new Thermaltake comes!

The "Great Silverstone Fan Experiment" was a total success! I can barely hear it from across the room if I turn off the ceiling fan and AC. It's much quieter than before and the MB and CPU dropped a whole 1C. I totally boobed and didn't realize that the 80mm FM83s are exhaust only. They have no mount on one side. Still, it's soooo quiet. As I though, it works better than the one I had on the side before, at 1300 rpm yet! It doesn't start to make any appreceiable noise until it gets to 1600 rpm. At full throttle, it would very quickly drive you out of the room. Silverstone says 40+ Db! I believe it! At 3600 it's very loud. At 1300 it's just a whisper!

I'm happy! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, aren't most desks rubbish at ventilation? I have a desk with a PC stand at the bottom, and my PC sits on top of the desk.
    Theone: lol good work, just be careful taking apart those PSUs!
    For once, I'll agree with you on fans. 3600rpm for an 80mm is quite a roar, but 1600rpm is also the cut off point for when 80mm fans become very quiet. The Nexus model is 1500rpm and 20dB. Nice and quiet lol. Mine aren't exactly silent, but compared to my skull-numbing PSU fan, they're nothing!
    Found out I can play games like CSS and Supreme Commander with the Silverstone FM121s at only 500rpm without issue, so their days are definitely numbered.