1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    What issue are you talking about??? How do you get the rpms that low? Mine won't go below 800!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By using a Normal fan controller of my own! The fans response to it is exponential, so it's very annoying, but it does mean they go as low as 200rpm! LOL!
    Rather than a linear response to the voltage like most fans (i.e 6V 1200, 7V 1400, 8V 1600, 9V 1800 etc)
    you get something like
    0-5V: Stopped
    6V: 200
    7V: 400
    8V: 600
    9V: 900
    10V: 2100
    11V: 2300
    12V: 2400
    That's another one of the reasons I'm changing them, can you see how hard it is to adjust the fan to be 1500rpm?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I cheat! I use the controller that came with it and have the fan speed showing in Everest open on the desktop. I adjust it to the low 1400s and leave it. The display at the bottom on the taskbar never changes. I don't think that sort of controller is very good for the fan! The Silverstones are a pain to set as the control is not very linear, so it's kind of sensitive to adjustment but once set it stays within maybe 10 rpm of the setting. I'm going to move the control for the 120 to the expansion slot on the back that the 80 uses. It has knoxk outs for up to three fan controls. That's a lot easier than mounting the 80 in the front. Their pretty much "set and forget" anyway, so why not?

I'm about to do a DVDRB/CCE job in a few minutes so I'll see how the temps are compared to before. I like the relative quiet compared to before. You can't hear much beyond 4 feet anyway other than the air. No whirs or anything like that.

I went and posted the Pipe Organ thing on the Hounds. I think something that unique should have the opportunity to be heard. I didn't care much for the Hymns, but I'm not real thrilled with that type of music anyway. I assume you looked at the pictures. How did you like the look of that big Monster! 6 keyboards. I could almost put my room inside it! LOL!!

Anyway, I'll let you know how the fans do with the rebuilder job!

Clock On,

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah. To be honest,I think you'd fare fine with them at minimum speed. My Graphics card puts out a lot more heat than yours but I do alright at 500rpm, so 800 for your system should be a piece of cake. My PSU fan runs at max regardless of my case fans when I'm gaming, so that isn't affected, and is why I'm getting a Corsair unit. I suddenly realise why Antec cases are used by silencers, not because of any particular build quality aspect, but simply for the isolated power supply!
    If I could describe the temperature of the air coming out the PSU, I'd say 'a bit warm'. I think the fan controller in it is a little over-zealous, that and the fact that the fan sounds awful. Can't wait to get a Corsair HX620 and a Thermalright Ultra 120, once I've done that, all that'll be audible in my case will be the hard drives!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Those must be some noisy hard drives! LOL!! I can barely hear my Seagate with my ear right up to the case! Just a tiny scratchy sound that you can barely hear!

Clock On,

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, Aluminium case. I had to remove my hard drives from the case they were so loud. They now rest in Nexus drive-a-way enclosures. The Barracuda is nearly silent when it isn't seeking, when it does seek it's acceptable, the Raptor is of course a different ballgame!
    Also I currently run one of the drive caddies from my other case externally, with a wire running out the PCI backplate to it as an 'external' hard drive, most of External hard disk boxes broke and I didn't replace them because I had a server. Then I found out you can't run games over a network.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Smack me upside the head if I ever even think of buying one!

I just used the latest version of Fab DeCrypter Platinum. When it finishes, it goes right to the burn if it needs no compression and you have a blank in the burner! Neat!

Clock On,

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Very nice indeed! I'm assuming that this is with air and that you wouldn't want to continue running at those temps at 4GHz for very long unless you switched to water! The x7 multi looks much better in the temps department.

Please-o-Please-o-Please, post some benchmarks for math and memory bandwidth! I would like to see how much I can drool! LOL!!

Clock On,

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hmm, the hdd noise is just the opposite for me. my old maxtor 300gb sata hdd that I carried over from my old pc with the antec case is a lot quieter in my aluminum cooler master mystique case. in fact I seldom hear it now and it's the noisiest of my two hdd's .

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends, if it's a cheap tool-less tray like mine with plastic inserts, vibrations run through that downstairs!

12. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I have never overclocked anything before but i would really like to learn, I know that you can over clock things like the FSB, the cpu the ram and the graphics card, and i know where i can do this in the BIOS, i just want to lear how to do it safe and so that my computer will be stable,

Thanks for any help!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

overclocking the FSB, CPU and memory all kind of merge into the same thing. You increase the FSB in order to overclock the processor, and overclocking the memory is a side-effect. Overclocking graphics cards is fortunately separate, and significantly easier, although it never gives such big results.

14. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

so you start with the FSB? then move on to the CPU, and memory just overclocks it self when you increase the FSB?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't move onto the CPU, the FSB is how you overclock the CPU. That's how it's done.

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

so its just the FSB? and what about the multiplyer thing?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FSB (Front side bus) is the frequency that determines all the others, memory, CPU etc. Upping that ups the CPU speed for you, since it is a multiple of the front side bus speed. The multipliers of most CPUs are locked to stop you getting more mhz for free. However, on rare occasions they're unlocked, which means you can overclock without stability issues, to an extent.

18. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

how much on average can you up the FSB with out having to change any voltages/having a stable system, and when do you know to up the power going to the CPU and RAM

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How much depends on how good a motherboard you have, and how lucky you got with your CPU stepping. You'll know when to up the voltage because either it won't POST, or you'll get crashes. Avoid going above 1.45V or so with Core 2 Duos. Also note, the faster you go, the more cooling you need. A LOT MORE.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    Where you have your brand choices you might want to consider adding the models. Intel what? Asus what? And so on! It would help us help you, know what I mean. Some Asus motherboards don't OC worth a flip, Like one's with on board graphics even if you are using the PCIe slot, while others are excellent. Same goes for CPU, memory, PS. Those 4 items are the most important as far as info because then we know what you have to work with. The PS and it's wattage are important because some CPUs are very fussy about power!

Clock On,