1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think he means whenever he builds a PC for someone, he always goes with those specific brands, it doesn't just refer to one PC.
    I think rigidly sticking to one brand is silly, but there we go.

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

the board i am planning on overclocking is the exact one you have the p5n-e, i am also going to use the artic freezer pro, inless there is a good reason not to (also artict silver thermal paste)

as for my sig, i dont always go with thoes brand, they are just my favourits, I use different RAM, PSUs, cooling and some other stuff all the time, but if i could make my own "dream" build thoes are what i would use.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    I know what you mean. I always favored Asus motherboards and Corsair memory. So here I am with a GigaByte MB and G.Skill Ram! LOL!! You never know what the next best thing is gonna be. Last year everyone was buying AMD, now it's all about Intel! The good thing is there a lot more brands that have excellent quality components these days.

Clock On,
    theone :>}

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, so i thought. My recent experience with Asus has been less than convincing.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Just think, your recent experience was like a "kiss from your girlfriend/wife compared to what I went through with 3 of the same motherboards!

BTW, check out the v3.3 version of the GA-965P-DS3.

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Product...rboard&ProductID=2428&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3

You might want to save this URL as it has links to all the downloads and lists all the compatible CPUs for this MB! I just paste them into Notepad and save it!
    Clock On,
    theone:>}

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thanks, I may well use that!

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

a clan mate of mine has just bought almost the same setup as sams and mine, he has paid £500 for it, its a p5nesli, e4300, 2gb, ddr2 667, 8600gts, 250gb hdd in a silverstone case with a 600w psu. his too hits 3ghz on stock volts but it idles in the low 40s and god knows what it would do under a real heavy load. he wont leave it oced yet tho because he wants a better blower to keep it cool, cant say i blame him.

i have seen other who have bought it since who are happy with theirs too, i am starting to think that the ones we bought (my first one atleast) were made around xmas when the asus staff were having a party whilst making the boards cos the qa was somewhat wanting.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    I thought yours was one of the most successful of the E4300/P5N-E builds?

Gina's never came close to those temps at 3.0 with the stock cooler! Even when running benches! When she installed the Freezer 7 Pro, she was prepared to bend the fin on the heatsink, but Her's fit with no problem with it pointing towards the rear! Hell, she complains when it hits the high 30s!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Eh?
    Since when was idling in the low 40s bad? That's what mine does at 3Ghz with the Freezer 7 Pro!

10. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I'm no longer gonna keep trying to overclock my processor. But now, I want to overclock my graphics card, an nVidia GeForce 7600 GT. I got nVidia's nTune utility, but the hardware monitor included with it, I don't know if it's a problem with my font, but I can't see any of the voltages on the 3rd tab. Now, what advice can I use before I overclock it?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Different cards give different info, so some info missing isn't always bad. All I'll say is do one test at a time. Overclock the core until it crashes, then go with one setting lower. Then overclock the memory until you get artifacts (use a 3d view to tell), then again, pick one setting lower.
    Artifacts are pixels that are the wrong colour, for example random yellow specks appearing all over the image.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

just saw this and as most people on here have one rig or another with dualcores this patch might speed things up like video encoding ect (that is if you havent already got the patch)

There is one for intel and Amd dual core cpu's and its not automaticaly downloaded through windows update apparently....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=1435577&postcount=1

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know, we all have that patch, but it'll probably be useful for someone. it's annoying how unprepared game manufacturers were for dual core. Some 2006 games aren't dual core compatible and need the patch.

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Ah ive finaly tried out a artic freezer 64, it was on my mates pc, but he has just moved to a media centre case and thus cant use it, well i installed it, and to be honest the temps were worse than my zalman 7700 using artic silver, and i never have used my zalman on any setting other than low, it seemed to work pretty good just passively(well min rpm) getting most of the cooling from the 12cm case fans trickling along either side of the case and the 12cm cpu fan. so i went to reinstall the zalman, when i took the artic freezer off, i looked at the base and how rough the finish was, so i took it upon myself to lapp the base, it took a good 2 hours , going from 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 wet and dry on a glass chessboard to get it prerfectly flat and mirror finished, i reinstalled it with the same amount of artic silver and hey presto instantly a 5ºc drop in temps, i have just done a 2 hour prime session and let it cool for an hour, and restarted still a 5º improvement, and it should only get better over a few days :eek:)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My Freezer 7 Pro is as it was out of the box using AS5 and it cools my Core 2 Duo 5C better at full speed, and that's a good 40-50W more heat because of the overclock.

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

i found lapping it made a drastic change, it was going upto 48º when i ran prime on the first install, Now after lapping it the temp dropped to 42º running prime, maybe the base had warped a little after being in my mates pc , but i cant see it making that much difference, it was very uneven on the base before i lapped it, using a steel rule i checked it and there were a few high points and pits, Glad i lapped it now after seeing the results. not so sure about lapping the actual cpu heat spreader though lol, supposed to be a further 3º drop doing that as well, mind you i could try it on one of my old chips just to check it out.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

this is my second p5n, the first one had a none working nic card on it so they tested it when i took it back and swapped it for this one i now have.

edit

the base of my freezer pro has some machine marks on it but nothing real deep and its flat as i checked it and my cpu with a stanley blade a while back.

for some reason tho the freezer pros dont seem to cool as well on the amd chips as they do the intels.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That seems to be what I've read as well, perhaps I did make the right choice going with a Zalman for my X2 all that time ago.

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Currently running prime, temp hasnt risen above 40º(room temp is currently 25ºc, as have the heating on trying to get washing dry lol, before i started prime cpu was at 28ºc.
    Lapping has definatley helped, as my case fans are only at 900rpm, definatley worth spending some time lapping the base, I imagine the gains on a core 2 will be impressive as well.

i polished out all the fine machining traces on the bottom, I was expecting maybe a couple degree's better performance, but also there is also much less TIM between the cpu heatspreader and the cooler base, so the thermal conduction is much better.

currently on speed fan and everest ultimate the readings are coming as Cpu core 40ºc and Cpu @ 36ºc.

My temps should be a bit higher than the norm too as my case is lined out with acoustipack delux.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not surprised, given all that audio equipment you've got!