1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh I must admit i like my audio :eek:)

Im glad about all the synths that are now available as soft synths as i am starting to get limited to space.

thinking about a nw processor for this amd rig, not sure if i need much more power, just would be nice to have a little more spare on top, I will wait till aria have the 4200 x2 on a super special I think.

I would love to see if lapping a freezer 7 pro yeilds much of a temp loss on a core duo, but I am not going to build a core duo set up until i see what the new amd cpu's are like, mind you intel have a few more cpu's ready to dump on the market when amd release the new chips, so if amds new cpu's are good but not upto the cometition, the new chips should be comparible to a good core duo and probably have a nice price if they arent upto the intel competition :eek:)

Its great when these 2 giants are actualy battling it out to see who is top dog, it makes it much cheaper for the consumer, What I have heard about the new amd chips is promising. But intel are no doubt waiting with a good sucker punch to keep themselves on top.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Including the fact that the X2 4200+ I bought in June 2006 for £227 now costs £41?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

where have you found one for 42? the cheapest ive found is 58

hmmmz the leaked data on the new amd chips :eek:)~~~~

The roadmap lists two clock frequency ranges: 2.2-2.4GHz and 2.4-2.6GHz. The top band is taken by a Socket 1207+ part sitting on a HyperTransport 3 bus clocked at 3600MHz. The lower speed range extends two processors, both with 3200MHz HT3 buses, but one that connects using Socket 1207+ and the other with AM2+.

The same quarter will see the debut of two Phenom X4s, the report says - both quad-core desktop CPUs with Socket AM2+ interconnects, four 512KB L2 caches, one 2MB L3 cache and a power rating of 89W. A 2.2GHz part with operate on a 3200MHz HT3 bus, while the 2.4GHz version will sit on a 3600MHz bus.

Come Q4, and the 'Kuma' dual-core desktops will appear, as the Phenom X2 series. Expect three models: 65W parts running at 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz, and an 89W chip clocked to 2.8GHz. All three have two 512KB L2 caches and a 2MB L3 cache. They sit on 3600, 3800 and 4200MHz HT3 buses, respectively

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, my bad it was a 3800+ I saw. You can get a retail 4200+ for £54 at ebuyer at the moment.
    As for the Phenoms, I'll take a 'wait and see' on them, but 89W for a Quad Core does sound very tasty.

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Well if the competition is good between these new processors and the intel offerings , the resulting price drops, might make it feasable to have 2 systems to directly compair :eek:)

I have also rea that amd are going to utilise the ati buy out to make all in one systems, prehaps this is where they could make a seperate market for themselves, all they need is a good new o/s and we could have another new platform.

6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Well if the competition is good between these new processors and the intel offerings , the resulting price drops, might make it feasable to have 2 systems to directly compair :eek:)

I have also rea that amd are going to utilise the ati buy out to make all in one systems, prehaps this is where they could make a seperate market for themselves, all they need is a good new o/s and we could have another new platform.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Don't remind me...LOL!!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Damn it, I made a typo and you quoted it!

9. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

what would you use to cool a qx6700? if you wanted to keep it very low temps?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Water cooling or phase change.
    If you wanted Air cooling though, a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink with a Scythe S-Flex fan, probably 1200 or 1600rpm.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

One of the things I've found out about cooling is the importance of removing the Northbridge heatsink, cleaning it and the chip and re-installing it with AS5 or whatever your prefered thermal compound is. Most of them sit very close to or even under the cpu cooler. This can raise your cpu temp, without the problem being the cpu. As the room temp goes up, the temps get even worse!

When I moved the D-940 from my air conditioned room, into the living room which has no air, just a swamp cooler, I modded the heatsink! after the mod the temp of the NB dropped 10-13C so now it's 29C (83F) in there and the NB is 37C and the cpu is 34C. That's quite an improvement considering that the NB used to be about 47C and the cpu was 40-42C and all I changed was modding the chipset heatsink. I didn't touch the cpu cooler, yet the cpu temp has dropped 5-6C!

Even with my E4300, modding the NB heatsink resulted in a 5-7C difference and my cpu temp stays about 1-2C above room temp. The difference it makes when stressing the cpu is that now the chipset rarely goes over 40, and then just a brief flicker, where before it would reach 47C running OCCT for long periods. The cpu temps get up to the mid 50C range but the chipset doesn't get near as hot as before the mod. Adding the 2 Silverstone case fans was just iceing on the cake. The rear 120mm runs at 1400 rpm while the 80mm side one runs 1600. Both have rediculously high airflow if cranked up to full, and you would need earplugs to stay in the room with them that way for very long. The net effect of all this airflow is the case vents pull in lots of cool air, and as Sam will tell you my temps are super low. It's not that they started out this way, they've just gradually improved with the curing of the AS5 and the addition of the Silverstones and then finding the optimal settings for them.

My replacement Thermaltake 500 watt PS just came and I'm happy to say that it is the re-designed revision 2 without the lexan plastic piece covering 1/3 of the fan. They have added additional vents to the case on both sides and done away with the exhaust vents of the original so it shouldn't be pumping hot air into the case like the old one did. I'm going to shut it down now and replace that Cheap piece of #$@t Cool Max! I'll let you know how it works out!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So they WERE bad ideas! I knew it!

As for the chipset heatsink, I don't understand how it lowers the temperature of the CPU. Surely if it was cooling the chipset better, the northbridge heatsink would get hotter, making the problem worse.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    What were bad ideas??? The Silverstones? We both know that they are extremely loud at maximum speed. Who would have the need for 110 and 75 cfm in a home computer. In a server with 10 hard drives in it stuck in a room somewhere where you can't hear it, fine. That was the whole point in getting them! Higher airflow at lower rpms=better airflow performance with less noise! Did you fall and bump you head? LOL!! If my computer wasn't 3 feet from my ear with a photograph sized vent just below the side fan, I wouldn't hear it at all! You can't hear it in the hall, 12' away with the door wide open. All you can hear sitting right next to it is a slight whine, and I mean very slight, from the video card! The 120 moves twice the air (about 60-65 cfm) of the stock Cooler Master (2400 rpm) at 1400 rpm and makes far less noise doing it. The 80 moves the same amount of air (30 cfm) as the one it replaced at 1600 rpm compared to the originals 2500 rpm, and again is much quieter doing it!
    Are you sure you didn't bump your head? LOL!! The heat doesn't stay in the heatsink! That's what it's for, to absorb the heat from the chipset and then be carried away by the airflow in the case! If the heat isn't removed, more of the heat will soak into the board itself which helps heat up the CPU as it's right next to it. That's the whole point of the heatsink, to remove that heat before it soaks into the board, and to keep the chip cool! Plus, when you remove all that heat the chipset runs cooler so the temp of the heatsink is even less because the airflow is carrying it away! That's what all the fins are for, for the air flowing through the case, going through the fins to absorb the heat so the case fan can pull it out of the case! The heatsink is made of aluminum, which is a cold metal that gives up it's heat very quickly. That's why I added the Silenex 40mm to the NB heatsink, to insure good airflow through the heatsink no matter what the case ventilation does.

On a side note, I talked to GigaByte after I put the new PS in and found the voltage problem still exists. GigaByte is aware of the problem and will replace my DS3 with a v3.3. Sweet!!!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

no, the Lexan shield and the vents on the Thermaltake PSUs were bad ideas.

As for the heatsink, I know it doesn't store heat, but it gets carried away into the case, if it's making your CPU get hot, it being hotter will make the CPU get hotter, regardless of where the air's going!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh for god's sake. When are aD going to sort these servers out?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

17. crowy

crowy Guest

WOW!!!!

BigDk give this a shot!!

Might drop your temps to -38c...........Major ROFL!!!

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    with roughly 95 cfm of air moving out of the case, it doesn't get much chance to stick around long enough to heat anything up. The intake vent on the side cover below the fan draws some serious airflow! LOL!! And I don't have to make the fans roar to do it! LOL!! That's why I went with these particular fans!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nonetheless, the heatsink taking more heat away from the chipset is going to make all that moving air warmer, which is going to make the CPU warmer, even if it's only by 0.2ºC.
    As for the case fans, 95CFM? Do you have two exhaust fans? At 1600rpm, one of those silverstones wil be making something in the region of 70, so what else is exhausting in your case?