1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. rayals

rayals Regular member

Hello Everyone. I am a newbie to OC. I just bought my first decent computer nad I am looking to OC the CPU.

I am looking for a CPU cooler that would handle my AMD 64 x2 3800+ on a m2n32 sli deluxe (asus mobo). Most of what I have seen are verry large.

My case is a RaidMax Smilodon and has a clear side. I would like to find a cooler that would not take up the entire viewing panel.

I have not yet tried to OC my CPU. I have been told it is best to upgrade your cooler first. I am currently using the cooler supplied in the OEM retail box for the AMD 64 x2 3800+.

According to ASUS AI Booster I am currently running at 34c, 2010mhz,1.3v,with a fan speed of 2k (+/- 5).

Please help. Thank You.
    PS- Not interested in Water cooling.

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

hi rayals

I would say the atric freezer 64 pro, its not too big and quiet

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, but it's so diluted with fresh cool air coming in that the effect is minimal. As you know just how low my temps are I won't bore you by posting them. It's not the air so much as the MB warming up and making the CPU hotter. Motherboards have several layers to them and all that metal from the circuit traces does a good job of transfering that heat from the MB to the CPU. The D-940 CPU temp dropped 6-8C, just by modding the heatsink with AS5! The NB is 10-13C cooler as well! It will be even cooler once I add the 80mm Silverstone in place of the 80mm 21 CFM that's on the window cover now!
    I have the 120mm that's right at 70 cfm at 1400 rpm and the new 80mm Silverstone that's at 25.6 cfm at 1300 rpm blowing out the side of the case, about 3 inches above the air intake vent. Even with a load like OCCT, the air coming out of the case is barely warm! Add to that the PSU which has a 98.6 cfm fan at 2500 rpm that runs most of the time at 1300 rpm with no heat being blown into the case like the old one did, so that's another 30 CFM or so to add to the 95 cfm for a total of around 125 CFM! Cool and quiet, just the way I like it! It may not be quiet up to your standards, but it's a lot quieter than it was this morning before I changed the PSU. I was also able to lower the side 80mm to 1300 rpm as well. With 7 fans spinning it's amazingly quiet!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    And how much does this "Jewel" cost??? ROFLMAO!!
    (Pun Intended!)

Clock On,
    theone :>)

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

$4.99 for 1.5 grams, 1.5 grams of it is supposed to go as far as a 3.5 grams of artic silver

cures in only 2 hours too

could say it does a diamond job of cooling (audience sighs in disbelief)

cant find a source for it in the uk, im still hunting around. with this and the lapped freezer 6 pro, its tempting to lap the heatspreader on the cpu, ill lap the old 3000 venice for this lol just to see how much temp drop i get, if its good enough ill lap the 4200 x2 when I order it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, yes but the air out of mine isn't hot when I run my fans at that speed either, and an X1900 puts out a lot of heat. Your system could be quiet and still have adequate temperatures.
    As for the best value performance cooler, the Arctic Cooling Freezer.

7. gamegeniu

gamegeniu Member

Im having problems overclocking with my new e6420. Basically my goal is to achieve 3.2ghz speeds on stock air. If read around and even on this forum ( around page 127 ) ppl were saying how they get 3.2 on stock with no problems.

Here are the specs of my PC:

Intel E6420 2.13 dual core with stock fan
    Asus P5B-VM mobo
    Antec 700 Watt Power Supply
    DDR2 4gb PC6400 Dual OCZ (2x 2gbs) speed 800MHz
    160gb SATA HD

Specifications set within Bios:

JumperFree Config:
    CPU Freq: 266
    DRam Freq: Auto ( options are DDR2-533, 667, 800, 889, 1067 MHz )
    PCI Express Freq: Auto ( options are 90-150 )
    Spread Spectrum: Enabled
    Memory Voltage: Auto ( options are 1.8, 1.85, 1.9, 1.95 )
    VCore: Auto ( 1.1 - 1.65 )

CPU Config:
    Modify Ratio Support: Enabled
    Ratio CMOS Setting: 8 ( options 6-8 )
    C1E Support: Disabled
    MaxCPUID Value Limit: Disabled
    Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
    CPU TM Func: Disabled
    Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
    PECI: Disabled

Chipset:
    North Bridge Config:
    Memory Remap Feature: Disabled
    Config DRAM Timings by SPD: Enabled
    Initiate Graphics Adapter: PEG / PCI
    Internal Graphics Mode Select: Enabled, 8mbs
    DVMT Mode Select: DVMT Mode
    DVMT / Fixed Memory: 256MB
    PEG Port Config:
    Peg Force x1: Disabled

I tried last night several time to overclock and failed each time. The settings i tried were:

Bus Speed: 400mhz
    FSBRAM : DDR2-533 ( it is 1:1, verified in CPU-Z )
    Multiplier: 8x
    VMem: 1.90
    VCore: 1.30, 1.3125, 1.325, 1.3375, 1.35, 1.3625, 1.375, 1.3875, 1.4

Everytime i hit F10 for save and exit and press enter, the system shuts down and reboots runs for 1-2seconds then shutsoff again( no beep or anything ), reboots one more time this time it runs for a while but doesnt display anything.

Earlier today i read that ppl actually had their VCore up to 1.5, so when i got home i tried to OC it again. This time with these settings:

Bus Speed: 400mhz
    FSBRAM : DDR2-533 ( it is 1:1, verified in CPU-Z )
    Multiplier: 8x
    VMem: 1.90
    VCore: 1.4125, 1.425, 1.4375, 1.45, 1.4625, 1.475, 1.4875, 1.5

Again, Everyone of them failed to boot.

Normally the settings on the e6420 is 266mhz with 8x multiplier, a 2:3 ratio which makes the ram at 400mhz ( 800 with the DDR2, which is what i have ). And it boots fine with any of the 4 memory voltages. I read the specs on my memory and they are rated for 2V, so.

Iv tried with around 300-350 mhz too, nothing, always fail.

Well, ANY help would be great, this thing is starting to piss me off :(

Thanks in advance :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will struggle to make 3.2Ghz with the stock fan because it'll get very hot, but you should be able to overclock a bit.

if you have 800mhz RAM, why is FSBRAM 533mhz?

9. gamegeniu

gamegeniu Member

that setting is for the ratio of FSB : DRAM ....

DDR2 - 533 -> 1:1
    DDR2 - 667 -> 4:5
    DDR2 - 800 -> 2:3
    DDR2 - 933 -> 3:5
    DDR2 - 1067 -> 1:2

This is the Mem Multiplier. ( took me a while to figure this out )

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That suggests the DRAM you're using is 533mhz. You told me it was 800mhz.

11. gamegeniu

gamegeniu Member

The ram i have in the mobo is a 4gb kit of OCZ pc2-6400 DDR2 - 800mhz ram ...

default is set to ddr2-800 ( 2:3 multiplier ) which is fine when the FSB is at 266mhz, that would make the ram at 400mhz which is 800mhz for ddr2.

if i have it on the setting for DDR2-800 then that will set it as a 2:3 multiplier which when the FSB mhz is 400 then the memory would be at 600mhz ( 1200mhz DDR2, which is way to high ).

so setting it to ddr2-533 set its to a 1:1 multiplier which when the FSB is 400 then the memory would be at 400mhz ( 800mhz dd2, which is perfect ).

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gotcha, I was doing the sums the wrong way round!

So if you make any change at all to the FSB it doesn't POST?

13. gamegeniu

gamegeniu Member

I can get it to post at a max of around 280 ... anything more it wont work ... if i change the voltage to compensate for the change it still doesnt work. Personally i have no clue what is wrong.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if you set the fsb (cpu freq) to 400mhz then setting the dram freq to 800 not 533 should give you a fsb:dram ratio of 1:1 with DDR2 800 ram.

what is the stock/original multiplier of your cpu? give me a link to your memory make and model. let me know and we'll go from there.

1st you're taking way too big of jump in fsb. memory voltage and/or timings may not be set right.

15. gamegeniu

gamegeniu Member

the model of my memory is: OCZ2VU8004GK

the original multiplier on the cpu was 8x, with a fsb of 266

Also, what might be a problem is that i am using on board video. :(

16. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I know overclocking has it's downsides but there's one error that just started coming up and is getting annoying.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Main causes=Overclocking PC and others

Does anyone else get this? It just started out of no where just yesterday after 1 week of using the overclocked PC.

Is it fixable?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typically changing your overclock by 1 or 2mhz solves errors like those.

18. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

So if I change my FSB from 250 to 248~252 it'll be gone? What specifically causes this to happen. I know now that it isn't some sort of exhaust issue.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rvinkebob,
    It's just what they call "Black Holes" caused by some mismatch between all the variables involved. Binning has a lot to do with it too as all processors, memory, motherboards, power supplies and other components don't always mix exactly the same or perform the same either. it's all a matter of tolerances. When you buy memory, say DDR2/800 cas4 that runs at timings of 4-4-4-12. All that means is that it's been certified and tested to run those settings at stock speeds, nothing more! Because of the differences in binning, you may get memory that runs fine stock, but won't OC worth a flip, while you also may get some that OC's real well. This has nothing to do with the quality of it either. That's why you should always buy matched sets, as they have been tested together to match each others performance and you stand a better chance of getting better overclocking memory!

Take my Video Card, an XFX 7600GT. It runs stock at 570MHz core and 1450MHz memory. Mine overclocked to 650/1600 while someone else's may only do 500/1500 max. Mine runs only about 1-2C higher in temperature while the other one running at 500/1500 may run a great deal hotter. It's the luck of the draw!

The same thing goes for motherboards. OCing stresses components! Capacitors break down and leak over time. Eventually anyone running a max OC will have to back it down a bit as these components slowly break down. The motherboards with "Solid State" ceramic capacitors should last a good bit longer as they don't absorb moisture which hastens breakdown, because they are sealed, so little or no moisture gets in them. I used to have to go out to NASA when I worked in Florida, once a month to rebuild all their dental drills. They were using them to grind resistors to get them to the spec NASA demanded. As you remove material, the resistance changes. Normal resistors have a tolerance of +- 10%. Higher quality ones are +- 5%. Its not to hard to figure that there can be a 10% difference between 2 of the same resistors and still be within spec! NASA was looking for +- 1%! See what I mean?

Hope that answers your question!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

20. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well thanks for the great deal of info. Please excuse me if I mis-understand but you're saying, memory wise, keep the same of both sticks be it PC3200 in my case. I have two Kingston's that I just figured out are the exact same even though they look different.

So you're also saying that OC stresses everything instead of just the CPU and RAM. Correct anything cause I'm new to "software to hardware" modification.

P.S. If I bought a new CPU for my Socket 754 (AMD Athlon 64 3700+) would this whole stress thing be gone along with the errors?