1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

gamegeniu,

I doubt you will be able to hit 3.1ghz with your cpu and mobo (THE VM is not the best for OC'ing), especially with an oem hsf. start with this:

set the vcore to 1.4 (note keep a close eye on the cpu temp, this is just to get started and might be able to back down later, I would go no higher on oem hsf period)

set the pci express freq at 100. I realize you are using onboard graphics and this may also be limiting your OC.

set the dram voltage to 1.9 or 2.0. set the timings at 5-6-6-18. reboot.

raise the cpu freq to 280mhz. set the dram freq one setting under 800mhz. reboot. monitor cpu temp.

bump up cpu freq in 5 mhz steps each time being sure dram freq is under 800mhz (dram freq will increase as cpu freq increases). reboot.

continue doing this untill it will no longer boot or you reach your target OC. ALWAYS MONITOR CPU TEMP.

when you reach the limit of the OC or OC target, you can try raising the dram freq to one setting over 800mhz. the reason you keep it under 800mhz while OC'ing the cpu is to keep your memory out of the equation.

2. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

Do you have to write a BOOK everytime you post, and then go into YOUR constant history of your entire life?

So sorry, but could not help myself....IT IS SO LUDICROUS!!!

And I am sure I will be FLAMED for this, but this constant history lesson of us life episodes is totally absurd.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

revinkebob,
    The stress is still a factor that depends on the binning of a particular chip and how well it marries to the other components. It's always there depending on how far you push the limits. Processors all have a sweet spot that you will know when you find it. It's almost always lower than the maximum for a given chip. For instance, my E4300 will run at 3.396GHz, but it's not stable enough to do much more than run benches. It runs almost as good at 3.276 and runs smoother in the process! I could raise the vcore some more but I have a personal limit of 1.392v, which is the last step before 1.40v. I refuse to go any higher. I'm just not willing to push the voltage any higher for what I consider a slight gain in performance. Why risk the CPU just to save 5 minutes in encode time with DVD ReBuilder/CCE. That's just me. Others are willing to risk it more than I am. Just one of my quirks brought about by experience. I would just prefer to have a slightly slower but completely dependable computer!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@gamegeniu

the onboard graphics will make your overclock fail sooner than if you had a card, i would guess around 10/15% will be all you can get unless you get a graphics card.

@russ

the 7600gt at stock is 560mhz core and 1400mhz mem, even tho some use samsung ram chips that are rated at 1600mhz.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Has it done any harm? I find it interesting. If you don't, then you can ignore it. Now bring something useful to this conversation or sod off.

As for onboard graphics, you're usually very limited with your overclock because the graphics chipset has to deal with the overclock as well, and that usually causes stability issues long before the processor will, it's best to fork out for a PCI express or AGP graphics card in order to get high Overclocks, doesn't need to be expensive, just so you don't rely on the onboard video. Then, if you're serious about it, buy a better cooler than the stock one and you'll start bringing in the big numbers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  7. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

C'mon man are we all really clever? or do some of us like the extra's i like reading and he makes it much more interesting so now it's YOUR turn to say something productive or to quote sam

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol lies! I didn't put it in caps!

9. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

It made sense and it was interesting to see how what I needed help with could relate in many ways. Don't be judge mental on something you and only you don't find reliable or needed. It was just someone trying to help, and I ask you to do better.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Guys, Guys,
    Be nice! I sent neverhap a PM. I'm not offended and I can see his point to a degree. I just try and make the info better understandable! Not everyone can understand the way things work, especially if you are new to computers. I do tend to go a bit over the top sometimes, but I try my very best so that the explanation can be understood! I get far more compliments from people I respect then I ever do complaints, so no sweat!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

11. escalante

escalante Regular member

First off.....I know nothing about OC'ing. I just need to know approximately how much my CPU can be overclocked to.
    It'sIntel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

I have Thermaltake Case and Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit

The motherboard is Asus P5N32-E SLI nForce® 680i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB

Are any other spec's needed? I don't know about OC'ing so I don't know what matters when you're about to perform an overclock.

Thanks
    Escalante

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

escalante,
    We just need to know the wattage of your power supply, the make would be helpful too, and your memory Brand and specs!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I've had one of my E6700's overclocked to 3.8 GHz on a EVGA 680i board.
    Keep in mind that is with a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cooler and a rather dangerous amount of CPU voltage.

I have another E6700 overclocked up to 3.7 GHz with a Zalman 9500 cooler on an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe board.

For normal operation I run both at 3.3 GHz or less.

If you have not overclocked anything before, find a overclocking guide and follow it.

Here is one:
    http://www.cp65.com/news/20061206.shtml

I'm a newbie at this so I can't give you as much info as the other folks here will. I can tell you a few of the things I learned though.

Get monitoring and stress programs so you can test your computer after each overclocking step. I mainly use Orthos, CoreTemp, Everest CPU-Z and a few others.

I overclock my processor first before doing anything with the RAM. I keep it around it's default stock settings.

Be prepared to crash your computer. Know how to reset the Bios. My 680i board is very forgiving. I imagine yours is too. I usually just reboot it and make whatever Bios changes are needed so it stops erroring.

I write down the changes I make so I can refer back to them.

Always monitor your CPU temperatures. Especially if you start bumping up the CPU voltage. CoreTemp is accurate for C2D processors.
    Don't let your temps get over 60°C.
    I do not let my CPUs exceed 45°C for normal usage. +60°C will shorten the life of your CPU, so bear that in mind. Cooler is better as far as CPU life goes. I'm not going to have mine that long so I tend to run hotter temps and higher voltages. I haven't had any problems... yet.

Read a bunch of guides, take your time, increase the speed gradually and have fun.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

escalante,

we'll also need to know what ram you have. make, model, speed, cas latency, etc. a link to it would be helpful. I'm assuming you're using a video card too.

fasfrank.

very wise and highly recommended.

don't expect much more out of your E6700 than what you can get out of a pre malasia made E6600. probably somewhere around 3.7ghz on air like fasfrank if it is an early binned pre malasia made cpu.

from what reviews I can find on your cpu hsf, it should cool similiar to a zalman cnps9500. only 1 or 2 degrees C less efficient.

15. escalante

escalante Regular member

Thanks for all the feedback :). The power supply is 600W. I have dual vid cards: nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB each (SLI Enabled). Memory: 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module. They're Mushkin Xtreme w/ Heat Spreaders.

Noob question Alert!
    What's CS Latency?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

17. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Ok now I'm pissed. I keep getting the stupid Machine Check Exception ever 5-10 minutes while I'm doing something or nothing. Either that or my computer restarts and my primary master HDD shuts down and starts up again. I already removed the HDD and I still get the MCE error in the same time frame.

My computer is at stock speed and I re-installed the bios 9 times and refreshed the bios manually by removing the battery and putting it back in. I even under clocked the frequency from 1800MHz to 800MHz and I still got the message. I switched OS's from XP and Vista and I still got the message. I used a freakin Ubuntu Live CD and got the message differently in a terminal window.

I'm scrambling to write this as it shouldn't be to long before it restarts again. Is my computer dead?

18. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

Although this can be any one of several hardware problems, in my case it was the PSU. Replaced it and life went on merrily.

HTH

19. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

It's like a never ending hick-up. I'll check into the PSU issue. The error has happened 4 times since I last posted but for some reason it's calmed down. I'm gonna remove everything and plug it back in and check the PSU for any problems.

BTW, how much for a 500W PSU. My case was $89 so I don't know how much was the PSU and how much was the case.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rvinkebob,
    Roughly about the same as you paid for your case and PS combined for a decent one!

Clock On,
    theone