1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Upgrade it.

2. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

Hi,.. i have oc my xp 2800+ to 2.375 i run prime95 for several hours and no errors!!.

i also got brand new geil ultra 512 dual channel pc-4400 ddr modules to get more room when i overclock.
    but i dont see the boost in my xp 2880 performance in fact it is slower.
    i also got the volcano 12 and artic silver 5 (over 200 hours). my temps 37Cº-40Cº idle-load.
    and 10 case fans!!

why my cpu is runnig slow?
    is the 2800+ not a good cpu for oc?
    you guys with the 2500+ oc to 3200+ is your cpu faster or is just numbers??

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Try running performance benchmarks on it.

4. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

you say like 3dmark2001,03,05
    look for example with stock values (2.08ghz) igot on 3dmark2001 se 5640 points and overclock values (2.37ghz) i make small jump 5680 that nottin and its running slower..

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

2001 is heavily reliant on your video card. You are probably right in thinking that your machine is running slower because of the looser timings associated with that pc4400. You should have went with pc3500 or 3700 so that your timings would have been better. I can overclock my pc3200 to 240mhz fsb without errors by relaxing the timings a little, you see where I am going? It is better to get low latency ram with less headroom.

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Run Aida32. It has a nice feature on there to benchmark using only CPU and RAM..

7. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

thanx ill try that

8. lilpele12

lilpele12 Guest

over clocking barton 2800+ a7n8x deluxe...Help!!!!!!!

I had no problem adjusting the memory timings to 2-2-2-5 ddr 2.7 but the processor is giving me hell.
    I cant even get to 10.5 * 200 wich is 3000+ or 200*11 wich is 3200+. it boots into windows and then shuts down. I have had the vcor up to 1.8 wich I believe should be sufficient for 3000+ and 3200+.... could it be my power supply? on newegg it says the power supply is recomended by amd up to 2100+.. but would that affect its ability to supply sufficient voltage to overclock? any input would be greatly appreciated.

POWER SUPPLY 400W ALLIED ATX400P4
    MB NFORCE2 A7N8X DELUXE ASUS
    AMD|2800/333 ATHLON XP BARTON
    2xCorsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200C2PT
    MSIGF4 Ti4200-VTD8X

9. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

i think your 2800+ (barton core) is lock that means you cant change the multiplier (12.5) all you can do is change the fsb and the vcore (1.65volt) i have mine
    fsb 190 vcore 1.775 volt (but thats mine) every pc is different every overclocker should have his own xperience:!!!

and remember your memory is very important to ddr 400 or above gives you more room for higher fsb and stability!!

10. askyew

askyew Regular member

Best bench software going, sis sandra:
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=
    Also a great burn in looping feature to check oc stability.

lilpele nobody is rushing out to buy an allied ps but it may not be your problem either. What is the default vcore on that barton? Are you using an ide or sata drive? What is the highest fsb over 166 you have gotten it to? If you are unsure about the default vcore download cpuz form here:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    it will tell you the default vcore. You may want to relax those ram timings to see if it will post @200fsb before you raise the vcore any more. Cpuz will also tell you what the rams rated timings are @200fsb, this is identified by the ram itself.

11. beenboi

beenboi Member

Quick question, kinda new any replys or feedback would be cool. Heres my set up. Motherboard is Asus A7v600 (a little old but does the trick) Athlon 2600+ Barton Core OC'd to 2.3 mhz Kingston 3200 ddr400 512x2 Current video card Nvidia FX5200 junk,(just ordered 128 nvidia GeF6800). I guess my question is can I get more out of my system, particularly my memory? The settings I have set are mult. 11.5, FSB 200 mhz, bus speed 400mhz. My memory speed in bios 1s set to 400 mhz, but cupid says 200mhz. Are my clock times right too? FSB DRAM 1:1 3 3 3 8. I'm able to turn the mem voltage up in bios does not seem to do anything. Is it necessary? I've had this set up for a while now and its stable with temps in low 40. Just wonderin if everything is maxed or I'm missing something . Thanks.

12. askyew

askyew Regular member

Your ram is ddr so you double the fsb to get the speed that your ram is running i.e. 200fsb= 400mhz on ddr ram. You should be able to get your ram to run at 215fsb(430mhz ddr) at its rated timings. So lower your multi and crank up the fsb to overclock your ram. Be sure to run mem test to check for ram errors. If you run ram with errors you run the risk of saving corrupt data on your drive(s). I never run ram over its rated voltage unless it fails mem test. Then I increase the ram voltage by .5 run mem test again if you still get errors rinse and repeat. My kingston valueram will do 225 fsb(450ddr) at rated timings with no voltage boost(2.6v) and pass mem test. your results may vary.

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Does anyone know here ican download custom gfx card bios's from, so i can set the speeds b4 i install it? ive tried the w1zzard website.

14. beenboi

beenboi Member

Thanks askyew for reply. Whats your opinion if I do that is it worth it really for performance or do you think my settings are best the way they are. I seem to be maxed out on cpu speed cuz I turn up mult x and cpu speeds are the same.

15. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

hey been boi you might wanna be careful overclocking the FSB i have the asus a7v600-x and it doesnt have a agp/pci lock so you could screw up your agp card and or harddrives and stuff i was told to be really careful when changing the fsb away from the accepted 166 (333) and 200 (400) because it changes the agp/pci speeds just wanted to let ya know

16. askyew

askyew Regular member

Good point neo. The gforce cards tend to be able to run more out of spec than the ati cores. The main drive problem is asually more of a sata problem than ide so it depends on the type of drive you have. Indienemo you will have to install the card before you can flash the bios :(. Don't you have an x800xt plat ed? There are no advanced BIOSes(name the default speed in the bios) for the x800 series yet. There are modded BIOSes with higher stock clocks here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/
    Be sure to back up your original BIOS with ATI Tool before flashing in case something should happen.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  17. beenboi

beenboi Member

Neo thanks for lookin out. I'll keep things at 200/400 then. Just got a new WD 74 GB HD and soon to come Nv 6800 video card.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  18. Neo2120

Neo2120 Member

No Problem Beenboi hate to see any parts of a comp fried. I acidentally fried... more like lit a video card on fire once by overclocking when i was younger(the overclocking speed bar was linked to mouse scroll wheel didnt know it, had it overclocked like 600 mhz when the core was only 100 way back then....smoke started comin out of my comp)....lol dont wish it on anyone else :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

sounds fun, lol

20. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

Does anyone know what temps would be considered hot for a video card?