1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's quite an increase from a firmware update, people seem to like Omega drivers as well.

2. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I find it odd to see an increase that high but it I really accept it :)

I use Xtreme-G because it's compatible with all my games. The official driver wasn't compatible with TDU (Test Drive Unlimited) so I used this. Oh and when I say 10fps I meant in feature heavy games such as TDU. Old games like Halo and others run only about 3~5 fps above but rarely ever go to 10.

Yea and the new installation works. Temperatures are low and I use firefox without any symbol loading errors. Thanks for the help!

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

for the 7 series cards the 94.24 forceware seems to be the best version, the 1xx.xx versions do work and make the hdr look so much better but that in turn drops your fps quite a bit.

the 1xx.xx versions wont work with the coolbits reg edit so thats another one for the con collum imo.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    I use and like 93.71. None of the others will let me clock my card as high, and some won't even run the card at it's rated speed of 570/1450. I run mine at 650/1600. If I let the card find it's optimal speed, it runs a lot faster, but make more heat! Just install it, put the coolbits entry in the registry and it's good to go!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

5. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

well i just had to try it, why: my cpu was idling at 20celcus (stock cooler, no artic silver) and with out increasing the voltage I was able to get it to 2.4GHz. It idles at 24-30!!! with stock cooling!!! If i put a zalman it would go to like 1 or 5

6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the 1xx.xx versions wont work with the coolbits reg edit so thats another one for the con collum imo.

yeh the 1xx.xx versions allow overclocking but using the lame old ntune util, i hate ntune, the first few times i gave it a chance it screwed my xp pro installs, coolbits al the way for me when it comes to nvidia cards, then as an artifact check i run gt legends on full, if the exhaust from the other cars is green back it down a little lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  7. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Are you serious? 1-5C? That's insane. What's your room temperature? Even stock speed and Arctic cooler I get 35 idle and 46 100% usage where with stock it was oddly enough 32 idle and 53 100% usage. The idle was the odd thing.

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

must be a blinking eskimo to get those expected temps :eek:)

9. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I am in a really cold basement :) I will check the room temp in a minute.

w/ the stock cooler the most its been is 27, after installing windows

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I was trying to remember the name of that (orthos) thanks, I am running UBCD right now doing the CPU burn-in

btw my room temp is 18 the case temp is 20

Edit: after overclocking to 2.5GHz I had to up the voltage, so the temp went up a lot! its at 37now

12. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Coldest room temp this month was 17 at night time and I still got 29 idle and 39 100% usage. I guess it doesn't matter much as long as the whole computer lasts until this winter or next summer. I'll be upgrading to everything I've wanted such as PCI-E, a better CPU and socket, DX10 video card, BD~DVD~CD drive, and 2 or maybe even 4 gigs of RAM and of course a good motherboard.

I'm not worrying much about what to get because prices will drop about $100 in every subject by summer if not winter which will give me more options. I'm comfortable for now with what I have. I hope to get a 5200+ or higher by next summer and any GeForce 8 series card and ASUS or maybe MSI for motherboards as usual.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How can you stand a 17C room?

14. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i like it, its nice to get away from the hot weather outside (keep in mind i am not blasting my ac, just its really cold in my basement all the time)

15. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Ironically I live in Canada and the temperature gets to 32C room temperature. Why don't you ask me how I can handle that :p. I assume it's global warming since it's never been this high for a continuous amount of days.

When it's 32 room temp. I get 42C idle temp and 37C idle motherboard temp. and I get 52C 100% usage temp and 39C 100% usage motherboard temp. Obviously at 17C room temp. I got 32C idle and 29C idle mobo temp. and I get 42C 100% usage temp. and 31C 100% usage motherboard temp.

The strange thing is the temperatures, except for idle, were all the same when I'd overclocked. Idle was 37C at 17C room temp and the always went to 53C at 100% usage.

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

when we get our energy bill it show the average outside temperature for the month, it also show the same thing for last year, last month the difference was 5 degrees more then a year ago!

17. rayals

rayals Regular member

theonejrs,

Hello,

I too am running a 7600 gt 'xxx' edition. which drivers do you think are best and why? I am running MS Vista Ultimate.

I am still trying to get the system specs together. here is an idea..

ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe
    AMD 3800+ w/stock cooler
    Corsair XMS2 Pro 1Gb matched pair Running SLI
    Thermaltke 420 PSU
    XFX nVidia GeForce 7600GT "XXX"
    Raidmax Smilodon Case
    Plextor 760A DVDRW
    74.5Gb Raptor 'C drive'
    500Gb Seagate SATA2
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Sceptre 23" LCD

Currently my mobo is not OC'd. I have been reading the threads and gathering more info (I am new to this).

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hello Rayals,
    I am running Forceware 93.71 with mine, with coolbits enabled and is clocked at 650/1600. none of the other Forceware versions will let me overclock that high. Some won't even let it run at stock 570/1450, and some are not made for my card. I don't game very much but it does a great job with Quake Arena and Delta Force Extreme at max resolution. I can overclock it much higher than that, but then the temps start to go up at idle. I can't say if it will work for Vista and since I'm going to avoid vista for the next few years, I won't be concerned about that for a while. I'm comfortable with the way it's set up and my temperatures are excellent (as per my sig).

You didn't say what your choice in CPU is going to be? I know the MB is AM2, and I have to ask, why AMD? The C2D is cheaper and more memory management friendly, and there's a wealth of good motherboards available, so why AMD? I'm not an Intel fanboy but I'm just curious as I see no advantage in less performance for more money!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

19. rayals

rayals Regular member

theonejrs

I chose an AMD based on my best friends opion. He runs a shop here in IL.

http://www.standoffcomputers.com/

As far as the CPU goes... I am currently running the AMD 64 Athlon X2 3800+....

I agree with you on the choice of OS. Vista DOES NOT support the COOLBIT registry software. I can not OC my video card unless I do it from the BIOS. I am not too shure how to do that.

20. rayals

rayals Regular member

Theonejrs,

I remember now. I purchased this mobo & CPU as a package deal from Tiger Direct, and I fot a good deal through my friend. That is why an AMD.