1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rayals,

sorry to be the barer of bad news but your buddy is behind in technology. clock per clock nothing will outperform the intel core 2 duo's or quad cores archetecture at this time. even the E6600 at stock speed of 2.4ghz will outperform an AMD athlon X2 6000+ 3.0ghz in most situations.

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Rayals, would be worth you making your system dual bootable so you can have an xp partition to get the most of your system until vista catches up.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Knock Knock!!!!!LOL!!!!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Who's there?

5. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Hey peeps, Ive not been on here at all the last few weeks as Ive been completely redesigning my watercooling system.
    Like to say thanks to nuckNfuts for all his advise, I didnt have a clue about half of it beforehand.
    Im now running 2 360mm black ice pro gt rads set up as a twin cooling system, ie goes through one rad before the cpu then back in to the second rad before cooling the rest of the system including both sets of mosfets.
    Im kinda hoping that all the hassle is worth it.
    Fabricated lots of bits to make my case unique, once Ive (finaly) got it all together Ill post some photos if any ones interested?

Then we can see how far I can push my E6600, with your help of course!!!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Two rads? Don't see that often...

7. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Is it a bad thing Ive got two rads then?
    I thought at least in theory a 'double cooling set up would be better than a single?!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I've never seen it done before, that ought to tell you something. You shouldn't need any more than one rad.

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I did see a kit that was sold before with twin rads, it had one 2 x 12cm rads, Ill have to dig the link up, does make more sense to cool the fluid between the cpu and the graphics card as you can then have the fans on the rads running at slower speeds.

plus your not pumping already heated water into the second block which in turn will heat up quicker due to the temp of the water already being raised.

sammorris what did you use on the old amd x2 for cooling? and what were the acceptable temps?

god wasnt until i was 10 until i got a zx81 lol with a 16kb ram pack lol
    As I got the 4200 x2, and one core sits around 27º and the other is always around 37º - 39º, using the zalman on it as I wasnt overly impressed with the artic freezer 64 pro, still it does for my daughters pc, lol blinking 7 years old running an 939 3700 with 1 gig of ram and a 7600gt lol damn i wish i got stuff like that as a kid lol.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Ideally, 2 separate cooling systems would work the best. One for the CPU and chipset and one for the GPU. I have come across a few like that with twin everything. Makes sense to put a Rad after the fluid comes out of the GPU block as you would want the GPU to be cooled first as it's hotter than the CPU to start with. If you did it the other way around with a single Rad, it wouldn't cool the GPU as well.

I also think that with water cooling of any kind that you need to step the case ventilation up a notch as well! All those nice cooling blocks and tubing have just got to raise the case temps a bit. Makes perfect sense to me that if you are using water cooling, you are pushing the system higher, hence more heat being made inside the case that needs to be gotten rid of!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used a Zalman CNPS7000Alcu on my X2, I ran the fan at well below the normal speed, and the temps very rarely reached 50C. That was stock though, my Core 2 Duo would run a lot cooler, but since it's overclocked, nah.

12. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Well my cpu will have a rad to itself then the chipset/gpu and mosfets will have another rad. It will obviously go in and out of my case twice to do this, might run another reservoir now its been mentioned, I was going to get a massive single one but 2 adding up to the same amount would be just as good if not better?
    If nothing else it will be good to test and fiddle with.
    Surely 2rads = much lower temps tho?

*Anyone heard from nuckNfuts lately?*

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, fraid not, sorry!

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

him and Doc TY got tired of all the BS and babbling on around here. I seriously doubt you will hear from him again. I know you won't hear from Doc TY. rarely from me as well.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm going to speak my mind and then, depending on the kind of feedback I get because of it, I may be gone as well!

Folks that ask questions need to spend a little time reading past posts. I don't mean for you to go back to the begining, but it's not unreasonable to ask for you to go back a half dozen pages or so and do a little reading before you ask questions. I can't tell you how much it chaps my a$$ when someone tells you that he's too lazy to do it so they ask you to do the research for them. There's a lot of difference between people wanting to learn and people who just want to take the lazy way out. I've been here these last couple of years to help other people help themselves, not to do their homework for them!

Seeing people like NucknFuts, Doc TY and Mort81 leave, hurts! There's a wealth of knowlege, that won't be back to offer anymore help!

Think about it!

theonejrs

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  16. tinytom

tinytom Guest

I think that its a very bad thing for the boardand for newcomers like me. I had alot of help from nuckNfuts mainly from his own experience and trying to stop me making the usual mistakes. It has taken me a while o get everything but hey we are not all millionaires!
    I do think tho that if you get assistance from people/some one on a forum like this if you are just going to take it and run then you shouldnt bother in the first place. A 'comunity' like this only works if you are prepaired to put back into it, helping others and sharing your knowledge and experiences.
    Ive learnt an imense amount in the last 6months and it wouldnt have been with out people on forums like this.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are plenty of people who join just for you to solve a problem, and while that's not great for the community, I'm happy to help them out. However, there are also those who join to ask something along the lines of 'which is better', which they could have found out for themselves, a lot of people who do this even have a wide range of knowledge of the subject. Afterdawn isn't somewhere where you get other people to do your own research for free, and I hope it never becomes such a place.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam & tinytom,
    Thanks guys! I appreciate what you said. I just got a bit bent out of shape to see and realize the talent we've lost, and I was already frustrated by someone a while back asking for someone else to look things up for him. Each one of those three people that won't be here anymore are good folks with real knowledge to share! All of them have much to offer to a forum like this. We, collectively have lost a lot! I always used to think of this forum the same way Sam does, like it's a community. Maybe if I was 40 years younger, I'd understand. Thank God I'm not!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The sad reality, is that the conversations on most other forums that are of this nature really are depressing. The occasional helpful one comes along to be flamed by absolute idiots...

20. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Well I for one am gratefull for all the help I have received, and I will always help others where I can with the knowledge I have. I quite plainly come to forums like this to learn. My pc build and overclocking project when its starts is something completely new that I wanted to learn about.

Hence the reason why the build is taking so long, I want it to be perfect! Im currently soldering wiring looms for my rad fans and covering them with braided sleeving and heat shrinking ect, I really do want my pc to look as standard as possible but with lots of mods if that makes any sense?