1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It'll probably manage that.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that memory will probably manage that but you will need to loosen the timings and possibly up the memory voltage.

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

its stock its 1.8v and 4-4-4-12 MHz

how does 2.0v and 5-5-5-12 800Mhz sound?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you can try that. you may get by with 1.9v.

5. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

OK. I'm thinking of OverClocking my laptop. What will i need to get started? How do i do it? I also want to overclock my GPU so i could play newer video games.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

OmriSama,
    I don't think you can! I've never come across a laptop you could over clock. Heat would be too much of an issue! There are software overclocks, but I wouldn't recommend using them on a laptop!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Try 5-5-5-15 if 5-5-5-12 causes problems and set the memory voltage to 1.9 if that still isn't stable then go to 2.0 volts.Maybe do some Googling and have a look at what others are o/clocking that memory too with what settings.

8. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Sucks. :<

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you can actually, but only the processor. The graphics card, even if you could overclock it, it would get you so little benefit you wouldn't notice the difference.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I've worked on many a laptop and I've never seen any settings for any kind of overclocking in any of them. I wouldn't recommend the software route because it would just throttle down anyway! None of those settings are adjustable. The heat is handled in a very balanced and delicate way in just about every laptop. Some of the CPU heatsinks I've seen, are works of art and very imaginative! You can't get a whole lot of airflow out of those tiny fans.

For some strange reason most of the ones I repair have a burned out CPU. It comes from sitting them on the couch cushion and blocking the air inlet in the bottom. At first they just shut off but after a while the CPU just dies! I always love what they say when you tell them not to sit it on the couch because they're blocking the air inlet. They get all indignant and tell me "they do it all the time"! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To which you respond "hence the problem". Lol

12. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Please tell me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure nuckNfuts had an overclocked ASUS laptop? But they have it available in the BIOS from day one.
    Dont think theres anyway to overclock a stock laptop just like you cant an off-the-shelf pc?
    Its just so un-experienced people cant fry them and it would void any waruntee.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. Even if you could, you'd have heat issues, and it's not like you can just upgrade the heatsink...

14. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Pretty sure the asus laptops are built for it but with a run of the mill laptop you cant really do much apart from use some artic silver and mess about putting custom fans in, but for what you will acheive its alot of effort.
    I had a Sony Viao with a 3.2ghz P4 that I upgraded the cooling on, absolute nightmare to do, but dropped the temps well in the end. Never overclocked it tho, just stopped it scorching your legs after 30mins use!
    Not something I would recomend to everyone!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Asus laptops are basically desktops underneath anyway, they're specially made to be that way.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's like I said before. On the average laptop there's nothing to be gained in overclocking it! Throttling would take away any gains because there's just no way to improve the cooling, and it might even perform worse!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In the case of a few laptops I bet that's true. The fans on some laptops run flat out as it is!

18. tinytom

tinytom Guest

If in theory alone and for no other reason than curiosity could you change the Bios on a stock machine/laptop to allow adjustments for OC'ing?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I doubt there are many replacement BIOSes for stock machines, and even so, I wouldn't expect them to contain many other features. Besides, stock PCs don't have the parts for overclocking anyway, they'll probably just crash before they get in danger of overheating.

20. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Its just all the talk about laptops and cooling got me thinking. Just for a project could it be done? Could you uprate a laptops cooling and if so make it oc'able. The sort of cooling Im thinking of wouldnt make it much of a 'laptop' any more tho!

Found this whilst searching, an other idea......

http://folk.ntnu.no/bardlund/hack.jsp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007