1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Assuming the motherboard allowed it, you could probably get a 20% overclock at most, even using water cooling and abandoning the laptop chassis altogether. It'd be an interesting experiment, but it would serve little purpose to making the PC faster, even if it didn't need to be portable.

2. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Was just in 'theory' if the bios could be tweaked to allow clocking.
    Ive never heard of it before but Ive not looked for custom bios and thats why I was asking?

I quite like the idea of a cooling/clocking project tho.

Must get my PC done first tho!

3. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

hello, please help me.

i have a modable (according to the fuses) sapphire x800 gto agp card. i heard its possible to unlock the pipes and turn it into an x850 xt. how can i do this? anyone's help will be greatly appreciated.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

Go here:
    http://www.savefile.com/projects/733218

Just make sure yours is the R480 core not the R430:)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

anubis66,
    It all depends on whether they are just turned off or if they have been crippled with a laser. I have an 800GTO and it came with 16 working pipes. If they are crippled, then nothing will turn them on. It's the luck of the draw. You can download ATi Tool and check it with that!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

6. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

its an r480 for sure. atitool wont bios dump, why would this be?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My best guess would be that the non-working pipes have been crippled to where you can't turn them on!

theone

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@anubis66
    It's only the GTO2's that are unlockable...the GTO's are crippled...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531.
    Not all of them are. Mine's not! Says X800GTO right on the box on the label with the UPC scan code on it! Just lucky, I guess!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    Mine is a Sapphire! These 2 parts made me laugh!
    I don't know where he's been looking but if he'd like a list, he should have checked Newegg's reviews on the AGP X800 GTOs. Less than half got more than 12 pipes that worked! It was the biggest single complaint!

Totally wrong! Mine is an AGP and says Sapphire X800 GTO right on the board and the box it came in! LOL!! Even the board is Sapphire Blue! Great Vid card BTW! Did about 15,000 3DMarks in 3DMark 03. Not too shabby for an AGP!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  12. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,I remember when you got that card.At the same time I had'nt had my poxy geforce 6600le for very long.At the time I did,nt know Jack S**T about video cards.Thought 256meg video card pci-e 16x had to be better than my old 4x agp geforce4 64 meg card.Well I was right,it is better,but for around the same price I could have got a card like yours!!Oh well,live and learn!!My 3D mark is around 6000 and that,s overclocked everything!!:-(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    Is that with 3DMark 03? The X800 GTOs don't OC worth a flip! A real X800 GT overclocks like crazy. Mine was an 8x AGP. Still running good in the D-940 I passed on to my roomate! I bought it a couple of years ago to replace a woefully inadequate XFX 5200! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    Yes,!!!ROFL!!!:)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I remember when you had the 5200, you put the logo for it in your signature, and then some know it all (probably me) told you it was nothing to be proud of! lol

16. crowy

crowy Guest

Imagine the old days on AD.You could have one of these in your sig!!......................
    [​IMG]
    ATI Mach32 ISA video card.

Along with a 486DX processor and 16meg of ram if you were rich!!!

17. rayals

rayals Regular member

You must be young. I can still remember when computers were DOS only. Most of us had a Comodore 64 (the 64 was for 64kbs of mem) or an ATARI 800xl! There were no video cards! Just a little flash back...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe, it looks very complex, how do you think it'd fare up against integrated graphics these days? lol

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rayals,
    My first real computer was a Coleco Adam. It had a built in word processor that was built in on a rom chip. Came with a Daisey wheel printer and hooked up to a TV set. I very quickly modified it and bought a Sakata 100 monitor! It had a digital tape drive to load programs and it played all the Colecovision games through a game port. I still play them with an emulator program on my C2D. I have all the roms! I just wish I could find something as good today as the roller controller! (I love Centipede!) LOL!! I replaced that with an Atari 520ST. I even expanded it to include more memory, a 300 baud modem, A 30MB hard drive and a CD-Rom! Big Bucks! LOL!! Still works too! ROFL!!

As far as the Comodore 64 goes, I was never sure whether the 64 stood for 64kb of memory, or the number of minutes it took to load a game from tape. You could go out to dinner, walk the dog and hope when you got back that the screen wasn't flashing an error message and you had to start all over again! LOL!! You could also get what just had to be the slowest 5.25 disk drive ever invented if you were willing to spring for the $$$ for it! The only thing I ever saw that was slower was playing Burgertime on a TI 99a! Looked like it was wading in fudge! LOL!! Makes you grateful for what we have today!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, I'm lost in awe at this simplicity. Rather than 64KB, my first computer had 131,072K, and came with Windows 98SE.