1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It was even simpler than that before the comodore 64. The IBM computers that banks and big business had ran on a minimum amount of memory and IBM leased 16k in 4K blocks to their customers for about $1400 a month! You wrote your own programs in basic! That is until Visicalc came along. You booted up the machine from a 5.25" floppy every day. Hard disks (if you had one at all) were huge 10" winchester drives with very small capacity (I don't remember how big) and screamed like hell when they ran. The times they have a-changed! LOL!! We have more computing power at our fingertips than NASA had when they first sent men to the moon!

Best Regards.
    Russ

2. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i read others with my same serial number unlocked this card before. what tool can i use to dump bios other than atitool?

even if i cant unlock it, this thing has amazing clocks, around 575/580

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Just to add, I've got a 3.5" drive at 85MB. Not exactly what you were talking about but when I write to it it makes a god awful sound!

4. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,

Kinda blows SLI though! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Unique arrangement for Crossfire + Physics rendering

Since the Physics rendering technology has been adopted in PC market, gamers have all been paying close attention to it. Meanwhile, DFI put this technology into LANParty motherboard as an advanced feature and that gives the gigantic power of Crossfire + Physics rendering. The arrangement of 3 VGA slots (2 CF + 1 Physcis) is necessary and essential for new systems. However, 3 VGA cards can generate a lot of heat in any one moment. If the spaces between 3 VGA slots are limited, that can cause heat dissipation problems. Therefore, DFI has placed slots with double space to solve the issue.

With this, who needs SLI?..ROFL!!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,

I was just pointing out that you lose 2 slots, 1 PCIe and 1 PCI as I would assume (and hope)that it sits on the slots themselves. I don't think I would want all of that hanging in the air without support as it would eventually break the pipe joint at the heat sink from vibration!

Pretty "cool" idea though!!

Clock On,

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    I think the weight of the 2 heatpipes/cooling fins would be minimal.
    Just found there are 2 options for mounting the cooler.It can be mounted on the north or southbridge.Have a look at these pics.You can see there are mounting holes on the cooling fin housing.I'm guessing these can be used to secure it to where an 80mm case fan would usually go?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure where your vibration is coming from though?LOL!!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    Put you hand on your case when it's running. They all make a little vibration. Over time if the cooler is left unsupported, it will crack where it goes into the heatsink. The vibration you feel may not seem like very much, but it's enough over time to fracture it right at the joint! I've replaced enough of them in microprocessor controlled x-ray machines and Tomagraphs to know!

Clock On,

10. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,I don't doubt what you are saying with regards to xray machines,but if vibration is going to cause heatpipes to crack in pc's, why arent we seeing heatpipe cpu coolers cracking?They are a lot heavier than the 2 heatpipe/cooling fin arrangement in the pics.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    The main reason is that there's more than one pipe! 6, 8, or even 10 in some coolers. Makes them much more rigid, and that 2 pipe cooler attaches to a single pipe that gos into the heatsink itself. The double piped cooler already has all it's weight hanging on one single pipe at a 90 degree angle to the heatsink, twisting it ever so slightly one way, all the time!!

I had one lose it's coolant on a Zalman 9500 once. Zalman RMA'd another one to me. It's the only one I ever came across. The box it came in was bashed in pretty good so it may have been caused by that, but I didn't see any signs of damage, not even a bent fin! I was using the computer one day and my CPU temp all of a sudden jumped up to around 60C. Inspection revealed something liquid around the CPU socket. I called Zalman and they sent another one the same day! They even paid for the shipping both ways and arranged a pickup via UPS for the bad one!

Clock On,

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crowy: Hold on, what's that socking great heatsink doing at the botom of the board? Is it my imagination ir has that rendered one of the PCI slots useless?
    Russ: Hmm, glad to hear Zalman are good on support. Wow, a broken heatsink, that's one thing I haven't had fail on me... yet.

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,not sure myself!!!!

It could be the way the pics taken?Might be deceiving.
    The other pics show the alternative method which looks like the better option.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm surprised you didn't remember that! One of the pipe joints failed and all the fluid leaked out. I doubt that it was vibration! I think it was either damaged in shipping or had a bad joint to begin with. This was quite a while ago on my D-940. I sold the Zalman after I did the test between it and the Freezer 7 Pro on the P4 and the D-940. It was on the P4 when I sold it and built the 4000+.

Best Regards,
    Russ :>}

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I remember you noting controversially that the Freezer 7 cooled better, but I didn't realise that was why!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yup! I remember quite well the controversy that caused, and the "Bear" taking me behind the woodshed! LOL!! That's why I went through all the work to do the testing between the Arctics and the 9500 and posted the results. Got a lot of PMs in my favor too! In a hotter environment (the front room with no air) the AF7 Pro does way better than the 9500. About 5C better! Most times it's about 30C in there and it idles at 36-37C. It was 42-43 with the 9500 at the same room temp! I've bought 40+ AF series in the last year and I never have any complaints of overheating or noise from any of my customers. I put them in every build! It's a good product and I especially like the fact that you can get a replacement fan for about $12 and it takes less than a minute to change it with no tools!

BTW, it wasn't the faulty 9500 that caused the difference in temps. I did the tests with the brand new one, right after it came! I just happened to have all the hardware I needed to switch it around the different platforms including an Arctic for the socket 478 P4 that was waiting on a customer. I sold the Zalman as fast as we could get an Arctic for the D-940!

Clock On,
    theone :)>}

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol nice!
    I didn't realise you'd bought quite that many Freezer 7s!

18. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

its easy to get forgotten here. so i got my bios off the video card. what would be the best bios to use? x850xt for r480? could i get a little more help on this..?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think so.

20. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

would it be a good idea to get This if I want to over clock this to 800MHz with the same timings??? (4-4-4-12)