1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Try Forceware 93.71 and enable Coolbits. I was able to clock my 7600GT to 650 and 1600MHz comfortably with it! Guy from nVidia sent it to me!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Very time I click test it goes back to factory settings!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Did you try the Forceware and coolbits as I suggested? I got the same thing with a few different versions. That's why the chap at nVidia sent me this one. If you can't find it let me know and I'll send it to you as an email attachment or via sendthisfile.com!. If I let it find it's own levels it goes a bit higher in both chip and memory, but my GPU temps start going up so I settled on 650/1600.

From what docTY told me I have some very good memory chips in mine, so I'm batting 500. The Sapphire X800GTO I had in my D-940 didn't OC worth a flip! Luck of the draw, I guess. I got 16 working pipes, but you couldn't do much to improve it speed wise! LOL!!

Clock On,

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I tried the versions you told me. Afterwards it started working, kinda. My core speed went up to 650 but not more, and my memory went up 3 Mhz before being labeled unstable! You know I though if I bought an already overclocked card it would overclock better than normal ones!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    What brand and model video card is yours again? Do you know what brand of memory your's has? If I let it determine my OC automatically, the core stops at 728 and the memory stops at 1678. Click test and it's done. My GPU gets a bit warm at about 59-60C. I kept playing with it and settled on 650 and 1600 as at that point the temps stay at 50-51C at idle, which was only a couple of degrees above the stock temps. They were actually a bit higher at the time because I hadn't done the Silverstones yet. Concentrating on better case ventilation improved all my temps except the hard drive, which seems to stay at 35-37C now! The front case fan which has a bottom air intake, blows over and under it.

Clock On,

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It is a EVGA 7600 GT CO Superclocked. How do I let it determine my OC automatically?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Open the nVidia control panel from the taskbar and click 3D settings. Click on Change overclocking configuration below the Performance bar and click the box marked Find Optimal.

If this doesn't show make sure you have made the registry change with the Coolbits thing in the files that came with the forceware. Just double click on it and click yes to the registry change! Reboot your computer and try again. Make sure when you open the control panel that Advanced is clicked! Otherwise it won't show the Overclocking options.

Best Regards,
    Russ :>}

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

For some reason it wouldn't show even though I had installed coolbits, so I opened up the registry editor and changed the coolbits value to 3. When I click optimal it goes about half way and then it just goes back to the overclocking screen at the factory speeds.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh and no matter what speed I set it at it goes back to factory setting, even if I underclock it. Could you email me the forceware you are using?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,

It's sent! It's about 40MB so it may take a few minutes to download. You might want to download it to the desktop and then move the folder where you want it. I usuall save the RAR file, at least until I'm sure the software works properly. Then if I do want to keep the file I just move it into the 7600GT folder in your instance. I never used to download to the desktop till one day I discovered it's a whole lot less work than having to open a $hit-Load of windows, and if you use move, you don't even haVe to clean up the desktop! Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. Like I said, it was sent directly from nVidia. I have some software (I think!) they also sent for removing old video drivers completely. I'll see if I can find it and send it along!

Clock On,

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey thanks, that website is FAST! It took me like 20 secs to download that! Anyway I'm installing right now and I'll update this as soon as I can.
    EDIT: Still tops out at 650 and 1574 mhz! Even though my temps are at 47C, I guess this is as far as my card can go.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  12. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok i am having trouble with cool bits. i cant get to the over clocking menu for some reason. i had it working before but i reinstalled a few weeks ago and i have not been able to get it to work. i tried the forceware suggested on the page before this and still cant get it to work. my card is an evga 7600gt. any help would be appreciated.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    Make sure it's in the advanced menu otherwise it won't show!
    You also may need to run the coolbits registry bit again to enable CoolBits!

Clock On,

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  14. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i was looking in the advanced menu and the options werent there. also i tried using this guide.
    http://www.pcmech.com/article/a-guide-to-coolbits/
    i just dont understand why it is not working. i got it working on the same version just a few months ago. it might be my drivers.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,

I'm using Forceware v 93.71 with my XFX 7600GT card. This was sent to me by Nvidia when I was having some driver problems and it came with CoolBits. Works fine on my card. Just install and enable CoolBits in the registry. If you would like a copy just PM me with an e-mail address and I'll be happy to send it to you via sendthisfile. It's right at 40MB!

Clock On,

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To answer the question, no, pre-overclocked cards hardly overclock at all, since they've already been overclocked to start with. They will usually have better chips than some standard models, but if most of the possible overclock has been done already, what's left?

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

heys guys, its been a while but im mad busy right now and have had little time to sit n surf. i just wanted to share my new baby with you and show how much difference cpu speed alone can effect this gpu.

1.8ghz 4-4-4-12 2t
    [​IMG]

cpu at 3ghz ram at 3-4-3-9 1t
    [​IMG]

gpu (bfg oc) is stock in both as i have yet to play with it and tbh im in no rush as its a beast as it is.

not many games it makes that much difference in yet compared to my 76gt but dirt and stalker are amazing to look at now on max settings. just need to get a bigger screen next to see them at higher res as 12/10 isnt realy pushing this card too hard :) it has took me from 145fps to 201 in cs:s tho which is nice to know lol.

only negatives i have noticed so far is my temps, it has put my case temp up by 6c, my mobo idles 4c higher and goes 12c higher under load and my cpu idles 2c higher and is 10c higher under load. not sure im gunna push it higher than 3ghz untill i can sort that out but it doesnt make all that much difference anyway.

18. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok i still cant get it to work. i only get launch page and control panel user interface as options. is there anything else that i can do. also i have used riva tuner but i cant get that to work as well or overclock as high as coolbits. i used to be able to play stalker on high but using riva tuner i had to play on medium. so are there any other good oc programs that i can use?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    Did you open the folder marked Forceware and then the Guru3d folder and click on the icon inside? That enables CoolBits in the regestry. Just answer yes to the pop-up! Then all you need to do is re-boot and it should work! One of the reasons I've stuck with XFX all these years is they usually work perfectly with nVidia's upgrades and other software!

If it still doesn't work, try removing the old drivers in safe mode or use Driver Magician or Driver Cleaner to completely remove them. If that fails, contact nVidia. They will help!

Best Regards,

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member