1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

thanks for the help guys. and yes i did every thing right. but i think i will try removing the drivers in safe mode and then cleaning everthing up. and if that doesnt work then i will use ati tool. i have used ati tool before and its alright. for some reason it says my mem clock is stock at 350 instead of 1400. does anyone know why this is? and agian thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It will show your memory clock as its base frequency (half the actual frequency, since the DDR effect doubles it), so at full load it should show 700. It's probably at 350 since you're not in 3D mode, so the card underclocks itself to cool down. If you do the 'show 3D View' it should go up to 700.

Marsey99: It's interesting to see that CPU frequency has just as big an effect with cards that powerful. I went from 5000 marks at Stock CPU, Stock GPU to 6700 after having overclocked both.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok i am using ati tool and it is working great. i oc'd to 680/395. stock is 560/350. also i am worried about the temp. it gets up to 74c, is this too hot? it idles at 47c and gets to 74 while playing stalker.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

My card (6600 GT) at idle is around 65C which is nuts but when I use it at it's full 3D mode it only goes up to around 72C so I'd say that's average but that's from my knowledge. In my eyes, 72C is a killer but I guess for a video card it isn't.

BTW I just tried the latest driver (XG 162.50, nVidia 162.14) and they're down right awful. I'll give an example:

Halo on XG 94.20 - Not one problem or slow down in FPS even when 16 players are playing in a cramped area with nades blowing all over the place.

Halo on XG 162.50 - Exact opposite of the above, and I really despise the fact you can't revert to the old menu that was much more organized.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I just tried the new Drivers for Bioshock and my FPS dropped about 10! Don't use 163.44! My old drivers weren't enough to advance in the demo so I used the new ones, but where ever I could compare performance with the new drivers the old ones were better.

6. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I don't know if there is such a place but I'm sure there's a couple. Though I do remember seeing a site comparing cards with driver versions. The 9x.xx drivers wiped out the new ones by a long shot. I'll look in my bookmarks to see if I still have it.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rvinkebob,
    I'm using v93.71 and it's the best I've found for my XFX 7600GT. I don't clock it to the max because the GPU gets warmer than I want to see. Still it's overclocked from 570/1450 to 650/1600 and it get's to mid 50s playing games. Letting the software automatically set the speed and it's 678/1728, but too hot! Run the 3D tests and it will hit in the 80s. Run that fuzzy 3D cube in Ati Tool and it hits 93C. The memory in my card is outstanding. I must have gotten one with better than average matches in the 7600's chips. I have the middle version 7600, not the slowest or the fastest that XFX makes. Still a 278MHz increase in memory speed is impressive for any video card. Most won't do half of that! No doubt in my mind that I got an exceptional video card with very well matched Samsung DDR3 memory! I got lucky!

It's done as high as 18,000+ 3DMarks in 3DMark 03. I don't bother with 06 because I don't really have enough video card for it. Parts of it run like it's wading in fudge! The system memory speed was at 910MHz. I run it at a milder 890MHz now, and get mid 16,000s. more than enough for my needs!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes, you did get a really nice card. I got a crap card, it doesn't overclock well at all. The thing is that when I run ati tool and tell it to check max overclock the temps only go to around 60C but my card wont overclock at all!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your card isn't crap, it's a superclocked model, i.e. already overclocked to be better than average. Simple fact, something that's already overclocked won't go much further, since it started out as a normal 7600GT that was no better than the others.

As for the temps, an X1900XT with the stock cooler gets to around 91C normally, playing games. You think 74C is hot?
    Russ: 3dmark06 is supposed to look ass, it's because unless you're pushing very low frame rates, you don't know for certain your GPU is being pushed to the limit! In my mind, if the bench is crystal smooth the benchmark isn't stressful enough and isn't such a valid test. You're there to test the card, not to watch a pretty video!

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well crap compared to Russ' 7600 GT lol. Anyway I have my CPU overclocked to 3.2 Ghz now and the voltage is set to Normal and I am getting temps of about 12 degrees cooler than the stock HSF when it was at stock speed!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    There's no point for me to use 06. I don't play anything that falls in that catagory. I don't believe in straining things when there's no need or point to be made in doing so!

The XFX 7600GT was the perfect video card choice for me and my needs, and the good overclock was a big bonus as well! I'm more than satisfied with my video performance. I was fortunate that my luck held out with several things I bought for this computer. I saved about $140 by catching sales on the MB, PS, memory and the CPU just when I was ready to order. The PS didn't turn out too well, but it's replacement is a better, completely different design and works well. Much quieter too! I even lucked out with the bad PS killing the DVD burner. It still had 3 days left on the warranty from Newegg! LOL!! The replacement works fine!

Clock On,

12. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

And here I am, being the one who plays the most games with the worst video card out of everyone. I'd really love to have a 7600GT at the least, 7950GT at most (it's as far as AGP cards go). And since I use a GT card as well I can only go 50MHz higher than what it's at. I was lucky enough to choose the first nVidia card to support HDR :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  13. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I got offered a 7600GT OC for $50CND, I would have loved to take it, but I just had no use for it! If your looking to upgrade a video card kijiji.com is a good place to start,

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why not craigslist? Does that website have more people? I better go look !(runs off to kijiji.com)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

PCI express for the win!

Despite the fact that my card's leagues above the 7600GT, it's in the middle-end at my LAN party, coming to this forum is humbling...

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rub it in sam. lol jk

BTW you have a permanent LAN party?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Only if you have need for it. For my purposes, the 7600GT is the perfect card for me. If I had your X1900XT, it would be a waste! It's only a matter of time and someone will bring out another video card that's better and faster. It's a never ending process!

Clock On,

18. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Same with CPU's. It's a never ending race but every few years one company stretches past the other. Intel is obviously in the lead right now but remember when AMD released AMD64.

What's next, AMD128 ;)

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wonder if the Core line is going to be like the Pentiums, but longer. Few years down the line you see a Core 5 duodec.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

abuzar: Yep, it was to rub it in! lol nah, theone is right, for most people the top graphics cards are unnecessary, I die a little inside when I see people running standard 17" LCDs and 8800GTXs, what a waste! If I did a swap with them, they'd notice no difference, and I sure as hell would!
    As for the LAN party, it's a university society (although a few people who have finished university still come back, and people who are too young to go to university also attend) http://fragsoc.co.uk
    I'm username Ratmanscoop on the forums, don't laugh!

bob: I doubt AMD128, they've dropped the 64 part from the Athlon X2 now, it never really caught on.