1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well I was just making an exaggeration. Also I can't believe I'm old in times that I didn't notice AMD dropped the AMD64. Maybe I didn't understand but did they remove the technology or what?

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

TO: sammorris, RE: Video cards and monitors

I couldn't agree more. I found this out when comparing my older 6800 GTX to my other 6600GT OC in SLI on my P5N32-SLI and I was suprised to see a single did better then the 2 cheaper SLI set.

What fast performance LCD's can you reffer as I still can't find one I like in the $500 USD range. I miss the sharp and fast performance of my Samsung 19" wide flat tube monitor. Are we seeing LCD able to hit 120 and above refresh rate?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Overclocked my PC a little bit more, and temps are at 47C idling and about 55-57 with Everest system stability test(It tests up to 100 percent and I agree with Russ that we probably wont use our pcs at 100 percent anyway, but I just wanted to check). What is the limit of the temps a core 2 duo can handle? What do you guys thing, and are the RAM read write speeds and latency good?
    BTW this is kinda random but would we be considered nerds?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It seems a lot of people are complaining about viewing angles for that LCD.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Reading through the reviews for that monitor is like running a marching band through a mine field at midnight. By the time you weed out the idiot factor, there's not much complaint! I tried that monitor at Fry's and I liked it! If I had a spare $500 I would get one! Some people would complain about free Beer! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't like beer... lol

seriously though, I don't.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

abuzar1,

that's a pretty healthy OC for an E6xxx series cpu. I doubt it would be stable using other, more stressful stability tests eg: OCCT, or Orthos. try running SuperPi @ 32M and see if can handle it. it might or might not but it isn't as demanding as Orthos or OCCT.

65 C is the thermal limit for the C2D CPU's. your temps are really a little higher than I would be comfortable with. my E6600 @ 3.6ghz (50% OC) idles at 36 C and if I run the everest stress test it will get to 50 C. this is during the summer months as it will be 3 - 4 degrees C cooler during the winter months.

everest stress test is not really a very good test as my cpu temp will reach the mid 50's when I run dvd-rb/cce during the summer months and the core temps will approach the low 60's. that's all the hotter I ever want to see it.

9. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Here is my OC 2.8GHz E6300 I am going to try and get it to 3GHz, I would have no problem if I had 800MHz memory, but I have 667MHz, and I hate to set it at 2v's, (i dont want to kill it)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    It can handle more than 2v as long as you have decent case ventilation so I don't think you will kill it using 2v!

Clock On,

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

My case has 2 120 mm fans (one in back and one in front, MY psu has an 80mm fan, and I am using a zalman CPU cooler thats sucking air from right over the memory, so I should be good i guess

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    You shouldn't have any problems.

I'm curious, you don't see too many single 80mm fans on PSUs these days. What Brand and wattage is yours?

Best Regards,

13. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Its an antec earthwatts 430w. I was going to get the true power trio, but after 2 of them did not work I went with the eartwatts, so far its working great, and it does not feel to hot.

Well, with the overclocking i am not having much luck, seems I can't get better then This when i go higher even 1MHz it will not log me in.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Would upping the voltage on the FSB help?

Russ, how have you been? Don't see sammoris around here anymore.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    It's just that 430 watts is not a lot of power. At 75% efficiency that leaves only 322 real world watts!

Multiple rail 12v seemed to be the way to go a while back, but now that the power requirements for some video cards are so high, a nice high amperage single rail seems to be the wave of the future. If nVidia recommends a minimum of 22A for an 8600GT, how much do the newer, higher power video cards need? Triple or Quad rails don't seem to help much as none of them seem to have enough amperage on any one of the rails to meet the requirements! Even some of the very high dollar ones don't have a 12v rail that delivers enough amperage. The PS I've heard the most positive things about is this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
    750 watts, Single 12v rail@60 amps. Thermaltake has an 850 watt that has two of it's 12V rails rated at 30 amps. The other two ar 18 amps!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153043 Most others don't come close, including some very high priced ones!

Abuzar1,
    Doing fine, thank you! Sam is in a position where the only place he has Internet access is at school for a little while. He'll be back!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

the earth watts is 80-85% eff. and has 2 12v rails.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats not quite how it works, if it was using 322w it would be pulling 430w out of the socket in the wall (at 75% efficiency). the thing to remmeber tho is the closer to its max you run a psu the hotter it gets and less reliable and consistant the power becomes. thats why you really only want to use about 75% of your psu's rating so it stays cooler and gives consistant power levels.

edit

i would guess if your only running 1.9v thru that ram thats whats stopping you, with good airflow you should have no issues up the volts a bit or you try working out the right speeds with the dividers your mobo supports, saying that i think you can just drop it bellow 1:1 and the mobo (its an asus isnt it?) will sort out your dividers for you only thing with this is you will lose some mem bandwidth.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can you run the memory lower than the 1:1 ratio with a Gigabyte board as well? I think my Memory is what is stopping my from getting an even higher overclock.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

1000+mhz over stock is already an awsome OC with any CPU. some ppl expect too much even with C2D's. the E4300 is an exception and percentage wise it will OC more than any of the E6xxx series CPU's due to it's lower fsb. don't expect the same percent OC with an E6xxx CPU as an E4300 can do.

mikeh0303,

yes the memory speed may be holding you back now and lowering it a notch (as close to 667mhz as you can get it) may allow you to OC the CPU a little more but you can only OC even the C2D's so much especially on just air.

your right, DDR2 800 ram would work much better with you fsb setting.

abuzar1,

your fsb:dram ratio is below 1:1 now. it is at 4:5 according to your sig.