1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what other components do you have (memory, hdds, gpu)? any of those should work with most DDR2 memory, PCIe GPU's, and SATA, SATA2, or even IDE hdd's, although I don't recommend IDE hdd's with these mobo's because they only have one IDE connector and it is typically used for one or two optical drives. besides IDE is slower than SATA and SATA2.

I believe the P5W DH Deluxe has a bios update to accomodate 1333 fsb cpu's (not 100% sure) and I don't know about the Asus PBB Deluxe. the EVGA 680i is compatable with 1333 fsb cpu's and is SLI ready just in case you want to be future proof. I haven't kept up very well on the know with 1333 fsb mobo's. somebody else might know of some better choices for both 1066 and 1333 fsb mobo's.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Klemperal,
    Most motherboard manufacturers make good boards as well as ones with less features. Although I'm partial to the GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 v1.33, all of the other suggestions are good also. You should be able to buy a good overclocker for between $85 and $110. Watch the bus speeds as you can find anything up to 1333MHz support. Also check if it supports 800MHz or higher memory. You don't want anything with on-board video, as it affects the system memory, whether you use it, or a 16x PCIe card instead!

If you don't have a vid card with your current system, they have some really good PCIe 16x for around $100!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know my GA-965P-DS3 has 1333 Mhz support. I have revision 3.3.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I can add that Any of the !975 based ASUS mobos always did 1333FSB and more so by a long shot and now do it as stock/auto for the new 6x50 series and also quad core support. The P5WDG2-WS and P5W-DH are 2 of the best of the older well priced mobos till the x38 chipset ASUS is ready. Also, any !975 based mobo from any of the big gut as DFI, and others mentioned here should do it too as the !975 was Core 2, Quad core and 1333FSB ready since new 2 yrs agao, usually just locked out by most mobos for the time till needed.

Anyways, for now, the !975x will give you better results in the area of memory (high ends DDR2 stuff) the the mid range P35 with so so DDR2 or 3. That will change shortly as better DDR3 arrives to keep up with the new X38 Intel chipset at rated DDR3 1333 and above. But the price will go up to match. So look into the P5W-DH for as little as $150 USD as an OEM or open box or not more then $200 new.

"Go Get Your Clock On!"

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oh ya, the ASUS P965's do the 1333 as stock/auto for new 6x50 and quads as well but with BIOS flash (see site for CPU support or Mobo support of CPU) Nevertheless, they too did beyond 1333 when new a yr and a half ago. (mine did) The P5B (anyversion) is a great choice for starters, or the Commando for a more Elite choice but a bit more $$. But for now till the X38's get affordible and better DDR3 ram comes out and for less, You couldn't go Wrong with any ASUS !975X chipset based mobo do to its escelent streangth and performance at those high clock sppeds and bandwidth and of corse in my testing did better in memory read/write performance over my comparible P35 with same E6600 and E6750 using Corsair PC8500. Even though the P35 was desighned with DDR1333 in mind the P5W-DH and P5WDG2-WS did better then the P5K in some RAM areas. Interesting, I know.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually I would not recommend getting just any version of of the P5B board. You don't want to a board that is just P5B. If you are looking for a lower end board that performs well you want the P5B-E. Make sure it has the E at the end.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

NuckinFuts,

thanks for the insight and clearing that up a bit. I can honestly say that after modifying my NB and SB heatsinks (which should really be done to any mobo anyway), I have been very happy with my P5W DH Deluxe (975 chipset).

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hmm, I must admit, I could do with a new chipset cooler for my board at some point. What do you guys recommend in the silent category?

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

10. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Well, you do have a rather large CPU heatsink, so I am not sure what your size limit is with the cooler, I know with my 9500 I will not be able to get an aftermarket one, as it has a heatpipe, and the zalman cooler is right over it.

Here are a few I would look at, their from www.xoxide.com, i dont know if they would ship to you, but they have good deals.

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-hr-05-chipset-cooler.html

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-hr-05.html

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well I'm likely to change my cooler for a larger Thermalright Ultra 120 later, and I know the HR-05 fits with that. I may go with the HR-05 , especially given the performance of ther HR-03 on my graphics card.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it would like you was sponsered by thermalright that sam :) and i think it would look good too, the only reason i went with the uc-06 was down to it having more heatpipes and a larger surface area on the fins, and as we all know that is the secret to good cooling.

i dont think there would be much difference in cooling between the 2 as that is mainly dictated by the airflow in your case but i know that the nc-06 will fit with your current blower and with the room around mine i would guess any other cpu hsf would fit too.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it's a case of sticking with what works I suppose.

14. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

question I oced my e6750 got a clock of 3.2 with stock cooler, but my vcore jumped to 1.39 intel says max vcore is 1.35 I when in the bios and changes vcore to 1.33.... should I change setting to 1.35 or something lower p5kc mb thankz

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You often need higher voltages to support overclocks, that voltage is fine, I run mine at 1.42V.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FatalAD,
    What sort of CPU and MB temperatures do you get? I ask because my E4300 is at 3.2GHz and my vcore is set to 1.375. Most folks here do not go over 1.40V as they start to make a bit too much heat. The E6750 is reported to be a very cool running CPU.

I don't know what software you are using for reporting your voltage and temperatures, but I've been very unhappy with Speedfan as it just doesn't work right with many of the newer motherboards. It doesn't report the temperatures at all and thf fan speeds are totally crazy! I use Everest Ultimate 2007 and it works fine on all the computers in the house!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

17. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

I got a asus p5kc motherboard and I am using probe2 software I set my vcore to 1.333 and its runing fine with 400 fsb 3.2 ghz its running just as cool as stock cpu temp at idle is 29c mb 37c I'm in a hottt asss room my question at this point would be is it better to set the vcore to say 1.35 or let the motherboard raise it up ???

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FatalAD,
    If it's stable, I would leave it alone. 1.35 is fine! If you are using DDR2/800 memory it should be just about perfect for that overclock! I'm glad your CPU temp is so low as I plan on up-grading to an E6750 in the near future!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

19. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

thanks 4 the help

20. dg4892

dg4892 Member

Hey i have a AMD Athlon XP 2800 CPU and I want to OC it just a little bit to test it out.
    MOBO: Asus A7v400- mx
    1.5gig pc3200 memory
    preety decent cooling in my case.
    brand new heatsink and 80mm fan.