1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. samusXP

samusXP Regular member

I oc'ed it to the power of a 2600+ and I haven't had any problems. I tried changing it to 200x13, but that overheated the system and it crashed and restarted. So I changed the settings back to default. I'll try the settings you recommended, and I'll take it slow. I know all about clearing the CMOS (I've had to do it several times). Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try later.

2. samusXP

samusXP Regular member

sry about the double post, but what processor do you have?

3. madgreek

madgreek Guest

ppiper,

That is exactly what I did!!! That is a great and simple way to overclock. Yes I got the chip for 60.00 it was at newegg.com on sale. However, I want to get a celeron d 2.93 and overclock that!!!! That would be a great overclocker...cheap and it could go over 4ghz... all for about 112.00 with the stock fan. I have a friend who pushed it to 4.1 ghz with the stock fan 3 80mm fans and arctic silver. He can outbench most other cpu's. All on the cheap.

4. tryhard

tryhard Guest

hi everybody i have a amd 2800+xp on a biostar motherboard m7vig-400 i whant to overclocking it i got a great cooling systeme (7fans) in my case im new in the world of overclocking i only overclock my v card but thats easy can somebody tell how to overclock my cpu from the begining (bios to voltage of the core etc thx

5. madgreek

madgreek Guest

use this this is what the guy wrote above its real good...

at stock speed increse your fsb in 1 mhtz increments till its unstable then up the vcore then push it a little further then up the vdimm take it slow and when u get it unstable again back off a little and run some tests run prime 95 and super pi i prime mine overnight with motherboard moniter u dont want it too to get to hot U SHOULD know your idle/load temps i dont know if your multi is unlocked but u should be able to up it by one with stock fsb and it be stable be careful if u oc too high u can corrupt windows or ruin your hd after uping and running some tests fsb/vcore vdimm/ram timings try lowering your multi and uping the fsb mines at 9x282= 2.5 right now where i want it ram 2-3-3-7 and sometimes if u oc too high on old bioses it cause your pc not to reboot dont worry if that happens ur supposed to shut it down let it cool totally off and reset cmos but i found in doing so sometimes i get a corrupted bios so i take out my battery untill it resets never had a problem but i wouldnt reccommend it if u dont know what ur doing. just take it slow and ull figure it out it takes alot of time and testing to get a good stable oc.u like to play doom well after u oc and test play it if ur machine reboots ull know u need to change something.

6. tryhard

tryhard Guest

yes thx but i do all that in bios or???

7. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Yes. Most of it is in the bios. However, sometimes you may need to change some items on the motherboard. For example, the fsb if you need to change that from 100 to 133 but most of it is in the bios on most modern boards

8. tryhard

tryhard Guest

ok my cpuclock is 166 and my cpu v core is 1.61v and i didnt ov yet is it good and what i do next

9. madgreek

madgreek Guest

well begin by going into the bios and uping the fsb a little...say go from 166 to....175 see how the computer handles it.

10. tryhard

tryhard Guest

ok and then when its unstable i push de v core up is that so and how much do i give im its now a 1.61v and where i do it in my bios

11. tryhard

tryhard Guest

hi madgreek a can push my clock speed in frequency/and voltage in my bios but i dont see where i can push my voltage

12. ppiper

ppiper Member

guys id slow down a little dont push your fsb up to fast u dont want to get the BSOD lol just go slow and up each a little till u get the feel of it and prime 95 stable doesnt mean its actually game/encoding stable but pretty close if u can super pi 32m and prime all night u should be pretty stable and u can run memtest86 to see how many errors u get its best to get none but u might find with none u cant encode or play games ull just have to keep testing with encoding games and the software i mentioned i just got done encoding a movie with tmpgenc for 5 hrs cpu on full load 282x9 vcore=1.565 vdim 2.65 ram 2-3-3-7 amd64 3500. i wouldnt go from 166 to 175 so fast maybe 166 to 169 if youve never ocd before. vdimm is ram vcore is cpu

13. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Ok. I will give you an example of when overclocking fails. I have a celeron 2.4 ghz (non D). I overclocked it safely and stable to 3.2 ghz. I basically took the fsb and pumped it up to 133 instead of 100. It is completely stable, runs at about 40 c idle and 45 at load. I am using stock cooling with arctic silver 5 and 2 80mm fans. However it won't go any furthur. I tried everything, it crashes every single time. I have narrowed it down to the processor, the memory can handle it, the board can but the chip won't go any furthur. I basically get blue screens anything even 1 fsb faster.

14. ppiper

ppiper Member

if u aleady upped the vcore and the vdimm and pushed the fsb what r your ram timings? and what multi r u using? whats the stock multi? 2.8@3.2 seems pretty good get cpu-z to see what your working with. your temps r good and stock cooling @3.2 is good. try changeing your ram timings and make sure u see a gain when u do it i bench with sandra and everest if u go from 3-3-3-5 1T TO 3-3-3-5 2T and gain alot of extra fsb make sure u see a gain u can loosen or tighten timings to get whatu need id do a search and compare your chip to other peoples and see how far they have achieved on stock cooling.

15. tryhard

tryhard Guest

hi i test a oc i push it from 166 to 178 to have the speed of 3200+ i can run windows easy and some program i didnt raise my v core voltage and dindt play in my memory and my cpu temps is good but when i try to run 3dmark its stop like 3 min after its start

16. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

madgreek celerons has always been great overclock in the past a 333mhz celereon could go up to 500-600mhz imagine that from 2.4 to 3.2 is great jump and at that temp is great!!! dont be greedy jejejeje

17. madgreek

madgreek Guest

I know. I tried eveything last night I can't get it to go any higher. I played rise of nations for like 6 hours so i know its a stable overclock. I also burned 6 dvd's with dvd shrink and nero so its good. I have a gig of 2700 ram in there now. I am going to add one more stick and be done with the computer. My next project will be to see what I can do with a celeron d 2.93. There is some great overclocking potential there.

18. tryhard

tryhard Guest

hi everybody i push my machine yesterday a litle bit more an i oc my v card bad lol but everything wase ok the temp wase good and its sure is stable i play doom3 (very hight graph quality)for 2 or 3 hours and i didnt crash and heat up so mayby im in the good way see ya all

19. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Did u use coolbits?

20. tryhard

tryhard Guest

nope what is it???