1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I stand corrected! I went and looked and I had accidently installed an older version of CPUZ and didn't notice it till just now!

ck5134,
    Sorry, I gave you the wrong info on the CPUZ! Once I installed the newest version all my readings for memory are now correct!

Clock On,
    theone :>(

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The dual channel thing shouldn't matter as long as they are the same kind of memory. That's just for dual channel, they should still overclock the same even if they are different, but the slower stick will hold back the faster one if they're different.

3. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Again Everyone,

I've posted my BIO's to see if anyone can go through the settings with me step by step to a get better overclock. I've not adjusted alot, and the sytem seems pretty stable at the settings I have at the moment, but like most people.... I want to push it FURTHER!

ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES
    ------------------------------------------

Limit CPUID Max to 3 [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology [Disabled]
    Init Display First [PCI]

MB INTELLIGENT TWEAKER (M.I.T.)
    ----------------------------------------------------

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio [10x]
    CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [320] .............Was [266]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100] .............Was [Auto]
    C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplyer (SPD) [2.50] ............Was [Auto]
    Memory Frequency........................................800....................800
    High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option 1]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]
    x CAS Latency.................................................5........................Auto
    x DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay....................5........................Auto
    x DRAM RAS# Precharge ............................5........................Auto
    xPrecharge Delay (tRAS) ............................18........................Auto
    xACT To ACT Delay (tRRD)........................3........................Auto
    xRANK Write to Delay..................................3........................Auto
    xWrite To Precharge Delay...........................6........................Auto
    xRefresh To ACT Delay...............................28........................0
    xRead To Precharge Delay............................3........................Auto

Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

******* SYSTEM VOLTAGE OPTIMIZED ********
    xDDR2 Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xPCI-E Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xFSB Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    x(G)MCH Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xCPU Voltage Control [Normal]
    xNormal CPU Vcore 1.32500v

PC HEALTH
    -----------------
    Vcore Ok
    DDR18v Ok
    +3.3v Ok
    +12v Ok
    Current System Temperature 43c
    Current CPU Temperature 66-68c
    Current CPU Fan Speed 3189rpm
    Current System Fan Speed 0rpm
    Current Power Fan Speed 937
    Smart Fan Control Method [Auto]
    Smart Fan Control Mode [Auto]

4. crowy

crowy Guest

sheeny33,
    First thing I would check is your cpu temp!
    Thats way to high @ idle.
    Make sure your cpu cooler is seated properly.
    Did you apply thermal grease?

Regards,Crowy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Like crowy said the temps are way too high! I'm guessing you got a GA-965P-DS3? I'm too lazy to go check. Also you have a E6750 right?

You should be able to push it too 400 Mhz FSB without any changes in the voltage.

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Thermal paste is all ok, I had the machine built for me at computerworld. Maybe it has something to do with me living in a hot country?, I'm in Australia, though its only 15c outside today.

7. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I have a E6700 & p965-S3

8. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Can I cool things down by adjusting the fan speed etc?, how do I do that though, I'm a complete Newbie by the way.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Who here is using Abit solutions? I need to confirm some voltage and temp readind and handling and to comepare with ASUS of equal offerings. (ie. my 2 to compare are the ASUS P5W-DH v/s Abit AW9D-MAX and ASUS P5KC v/s Abit IP35-E). I have vasious temp readings and voltage handling accross the 4 moba with same core (E6750). I also want to get some feedback on the ASUS P5K Deluxe for thermal monitoring and stability and good temps. Who's using one?

Also, I see a lot of Gigabyte fans here, who has their "flagship" mobo to compare on P35 chipset for tweekability. I'm open to trying one.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    Sorry for taking so long, I've been sick today!

First thing you will want to do is the first item! Disable "Limit CPUID Max to 3"! Disabled is the default setting. This is only for an older OS, like NT4! Leaving C1E disabled for now is a good idea, although I do recommend enabling it when you are finished with your OC! Everything else in the advanced looks good.

Under M.I.T., I have my Robust Graphics Booster set to "Turbo"! I would turn down the CPU Host Frequency to 300 for now until you get a handle on the temps, as they are way too high! What make and model CPU cooler are you using? If it's the stock Intel cooler, you need to scrap it and buy a decent aftermarket cooler. If you have an aftermarket cooler, then something isn't right. It may be some wierd brand or you might have to pull it and check to make sure that any tape or plastic hasn't been left on it. 30 to 32 C would be a much more reasonable temperature for that overclock. 43C is about right for the system temperature, but I would recommend adding a 40mm fan blowing down to the heatsink so it would stay under 40C.

I run my E4300 at 3.2GHz on my DS3, which is very similar to yours and my idle temps are 27 - 28C and my System temp rarely ever exceeds 40C, and that's only running OCCT! Considering the case ventilation you have the temps should be a lot better than what you are getting. It's also a tight fit for the CPU cooler and you might try gently twisting the cooler back and forth to make sure the cooler isn't hung up on something. My old 3.0 P4 Prescott didn't get that hot, and they were notorious heaters!

Like I said before, I would look into seeing if you can exchange that memory! The memory you have is crap (to be very kind)! 5-5-5-18 comes under the heading of Pi$$ Poor! I tried to find out the recommended timings and was told by Kingston to just set it to "Auto", and they never would answer my question! Most cas5 timings are 5-5-5-15. I'm sure you could work out some kind of a deal for better memory with your dealer! Memory is pretty cheap right now and I strongly urge you to consider changing it as that memory you have now will definetly hurt the overall performance of the computer. There are several brands like Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ and Crucial that would do a much better job! As I said, I like the G.Skill as it seems a lot of GigaByte 965P users seem to use it with great success!

NuckNFuts,
    It's just my own opinion, but I wouldn't buy one right now. It's just too "green" and untried. Look at what happened with the 650i six or seven months ago. Asus was going nuts replacing P5N-E motherboards, and they still have problems with memory slots to this day! I went through 3 before I finally got one that worked and worked properly! Asus claimed problems with the support electronics on the MB, but I'm not so sure myself. Even Leo LaPort changed his mind about it after telling millions of listeners that this was the MB and chipset to buy! Same thing happened with the 965P chipset when it first came out! For the time being I would stick with a more mature chipset that's already had all the bugs worked out of it and has proven itself! If it was me, I would wait!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

11. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Theone,
    The Power supply is CoolerMaster IGreen Power 600W PSU [RS-600-ASAA]
    cost about 170 Aussie Dollars... What could be causing the high Temps I wonder???

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    I was talking about the CPU cooler! Not the Power supply. The PS you have is fine!

Clock On,
    theone
    :>)

13. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Lmao!, oh!, you mean the Intel fan thats cooling the CPU, that thing came with the CPU I believe... I take it thats no good for cooling then?

By the way hope you get better soon!

14. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Is it easy to take the Itel cooler off to check it out?, I've been running with that for about 8months now, hope it hasnt screwed anything up for me!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    I have a drawer full of them. I won't even use them on stock speed customer builds (I build mostly office computers for professionals)! Sam and I use Arctic Freezer 7 Pros and a couple of others use the Zalman 9500 or 9700. If you move your computer around to Lan Parties and such, then I would recommend the Zalman. You will have to pull the MB to install it, but there's no chance that it will come off. I've never had an Arctic come off, but some folks have! I install them cross corner, holding the spring part flat against the MB and then push in the pins. Do this with all 4 pins and it should be secure! To un-install, rotate the funny looking black knobs counter clockwise and pull up! Turn them clockwise to install and get the pins located in the holes and push them in the way I described above! If you don't turn the knobs clockwise, it won't lock the pins!

EDIT:
    I don't think you have hurt anything at those temps but it's awful hot. If you get a good CPU Cooler, make sure it exhausts toward the rear of the case. I had no problem installing the Freezer 7 Pro on mine and the thermal stuff that comes on it works just fine. As good as using Arctic Silver 5! Just remember to take the plastic cover off!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I am waiting, for the x38 to show some colors from ASUS. But ya, I dont want the 1st gen, so I need a mobo for today. I can wait 1 more month but is't getting antsy around here waiting for something strong and stable to mount these E6750's and Q6700. The mobos I had (IP35-E and ASUS P5KC were for builds so I only have the CPU and need a mobo to get me through the holidays. I wanna see what the new yr brings for X38. So I nerrowed it down to a P35 for today that is known solid, but good in thermal monitoring and power management. None of the ASUS mobos I use or build out utilize the TM2 mode of supportive CPU's at stock or OC'd. The Abit's do and keep the temps down but dont OC hte same CPU as far for my taste.

Thermal Monitoring TM2

Here's what happening for me when testing TM modes on an Abit and ASUS of like offerings (IP35-E & P5KC). P5KC/E6750 set to 475x8 TM & C1E enabled, vcore set 1.5250v and CPU at idle to 6x (2.85GHz @ 1.48v) this mobo reads my CPU temp as low (ie. 16c.) but the core1 & 2 temps higher then CPU (ie. 25/c28c respectively ). Now at 100% load (3.8GHz @ 8x) CPU is 36c & core 1 & 2 are 45c/44c respectively. and vcore drops to 1.40 at the lowest but usually 1.42v.
    The CPU OC (475x8, 1:1 DDR800) IP35-E but BIOS vcore to 1.5300v) on the Abit IP35-E and TM2 fixed, C1E on, Everest reads the CPU temp higher then the core 1&2 (ie. 6x idle, CPU= 29c @ 1.35v & @ 8x 100%; CPU= 51c @ 1.488v and cors 1&2 temps still lower respectively to CPU). Nevertheless, On Abit mobos (I tested it on 2 others) TM2 takes effect to reduce vcore w/ multithus bringing temps down during idle. Variables to CPU-VTT, CPU-GTLRF, Chipset VTT ref have been tweaked. Some need fine tuning as i go along to bring down the vcores on each mobo. But the ASUS passed my Auto CAD renduring and AutoGK transcoding test and tiem improved over 400x8.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I use the Freezer as well, it works like a charm. I think you either put on a lot of thermal paste or your HSF is not but on right. TO make sure take out your mobo and then install it. Look on the bottom and see if the pins go all the way through.

18. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ok I got the Intel Cooler off, now correct me if im wrong,doesn't the thermo paste go between the processor plate case and the cooler plate?, if so then theres very little left of the thermo paste on the Intel cooler??, how much is meant to be there, its almost metal on metal...

19. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ok now thats weird.... The CPU Temp is more or less stable arond the 50c mark now so its done a real drop....Maybe I fixed something by accident....

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That voltage is just too high! It's not a question of temperature either. You will have stability problems anyway as 3.8GHz just isn't completely stable with the 6750 unless you move to water or phase change. Even then, no one has reported the 6750 stable beyond 3.6! Most old timers like me don't recommend going over 1.40v One test I read on them (Neoseeker I think) had it up to 4.0 but stability was an issue! 3.6GHz is about the limit on air and I don't know if it will improve with water. Unless you are in a meat locker or your room temp is below 60F/16C, those temps are not right. What are you using to read them? I use Everest Ultimate Edition 2007 and The temps are very accurate as I tested mine against an industrial thermal probe and found them to be slightly higher than the probe, which is about right. The Cores will always be 8 - 12C higher as the sensor is on each individual core so you are reading the heat before it gets a chance to be removed!

The problem will be the fsb! 1900MHz using the 8x multi is just too much. Neoseeker tried different multipliers but their CPUs were locked. They also tried higher voltage and higher memory timings but the limit was still 3.6GHz! I'm willing to bet it's an electronic issue rather than temps as their temps remained low too! Whatever it is, I would strongly recommend you drop that voltage, as it's not a heat issue!

abuzar1,
    No problem installing an Arctic or a stock cooler without removing the MB. If he does it like I told him it will work fine. I've done it many times with no problems. Holding the spring arm with a finger, with the plastic flat against the MB and push the pin lock in. It's easy and it works every time!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}