1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    On mine the vcore remains the same. There is no TM1. The fsb remains the same. Only the CPU multiplier changes from 9 to 6. The CPU runs at either 3.2GHz or 2.1GHz depending on the load. Here's whats in my Advanced BIOS Features:
    No-Execute Memory Protect = Enabled (Default)
    CPU Enhanced Hault (C1E) = Enabled (Default)
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) = Enabled (Default)
    CPU EIST Function = Disabled (Default = Enabled)

That's all there is, all of them can only be enabled or disabled. EIST is set to Disabled as I was told to turn it off when I first built the computer by DocTY and others! Is this SpeedStep?

I asked what to do with them both here and on DVD Hounds, and they are set the way I was told. If you recommend differently, I'll try it! I've never touched them since I turned C1E on and discovered that it lowered the no load speed of the CPU at idle and didn't hurt the benchmarks and switches to the higher speed instantly when a load is applied. There doesn't seem to be any TM1 or any TM.

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm, the voltage on mine seems to go down.

EDIT:

EIST= Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    According to CPUZ, the Vcore and fsb remain the same. Only the multiplier changes from 9 to 6! I checked the Vcore with Everest and it remains at 1.38v either way!

Best Regards,

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

A little off topic, but the PC in my sig. I want to sell it, how much do you think I will get?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

TM1 and TM2 don't have anything in common with C1E, right?

C1E cuts the clock cycles by reducing the multiplier when the OS puts out a halt command, ie, no or low load. ...An energy saving feature.

TM1, when enabled cuts the processors active clock cycles when either of the core temps get within 5 degrees of the TjunctionMax value which is determined by the cpu model, 85C or 100C. Same with TM2, but this reduces the multiplier and the cpu voltage. ...An overtemp protection feature.

I'm getting most of this out of my evga mobo book.

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Just been reading some benchmarks for AMD's 6400 athlon64 black edition cpu @ 3.2 ghz.It holds it's own against a c2d @ 2.66ghz.
    Overclockability is around 3.5ghz stable on air.
    Now run the c2d @ 3.2ghz and theres no comparison even with the Athlon running @ 3.5ghz.
    I really hope the K10 architecture is a winner for AMD.
    Even if they can match the c2d's and price them competitively,at least anyone with an am2 motherboard can get conroe like performance just by upgrading their cpu.

Regards,Crowy.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

fasfrank,
    It's nice to see that some motherboard makers are starting to include that informtion. Years ago it was like performing VooDoo, trying to figure out what the hell all those jumper settings did. They told you what they were, but not much about what they did! LOL Even when looking them up on the internet, it's not too helpful for a lot of settings.

None of the motherboard manuals I have here give you any real information. To make matters worse, there doesn't seem to be any sort of standardization as to what certain functions are called. That appears to be changing slowly!

Thanks for the information, fasfrank! I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs;

That's odd then and adds to my quirks of the whole Power Management cycle. I leave EIST. EIST (yes, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) is a Thermal Monitoring "P" state, The Intel brand name version that controls throttling via the ICH through fixed step P states (P1,P2,P3,P4 etc, based on CPU ratio limit) so mobo and chipset will vary its performance. The ACPI CPU intergrated method is TM, TM1, & TM2 controlled directly on the core itself so it can switch many times faster from P1 (halt) state to PO (active). TM2 was the TM mode that controlled volt/ratio under load to keep fro overheating. C1 then allowed CPU ratio to reduce but only at no load state. So 1% will keep ratio and vcore to full. But now C1E (enhanced state) allows C1 to use the volt/ratio tables of TM2 to now reduce ratio and vcore in either steps (EIST only, but TM2 off) or in low/high. Full power at the moment CPU activity is called for. It now alows CPU to rest in low load and takes little over 3-5% to open up to fill.

Yes, but "E" enhanced must see the volt/ratio tables of TM2 lower ratio w/ voltage under light duty.. This is what's called combining CPU "C" state with "P" state to manage power consumption associated with halt commands from ACPI BIOS, OS & some apps. and certain hardware including GPUS (wich better models offer their own "C" or "P" state).

I was origionally wanting to know if the users on her have an ASUS mobo Utilizing TM2 + C1E and actively reducing vcore and ratio at low usage. None of my ASUS seam to use it as C+P active.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

fasfrank

Yes they do, they can work apart but better power management is achieved if they are used together.

Oh ya, what info are they reffering to you offered about manuals and such? I may have missed it. But to other guys, Thes features are standardized the way they get used vary from CPU to mobo to chipset.

So the users here getting C+P state to work together, can you post your Mobo/chipset/CPU combo? I'm compiling some research notes to study the variables. It gets more tricky as we get into dual core v/s single and now quad as most CPU's only have one PLL to use to control state, but AMD is working on multi PLL like Intels' Quad to control their 4x4's.

C2 is the newer C state found currently in mobile CPU's where the FSB is adjusted to control consumption. (ie. 800FSB CPU will step to down to 400FSB in halt command). vcore accordingly as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I've looked through the manuals I have here and apparently all Asus seems to offer is C1E, Enabled or Disabled!

As far as EIST goes, the problem seems to be the "step" part of Speedstep. The transition is not smooth and the computer runs a bit choppy. I just tried Quake Arena with it turned on and a few variations with the C1E both on and off and it sucks! It's like it can't make up it's mind what speed it wants to run at. The game runs smoothly with C1E and TM2 enabled with the EIST disabled.

Frankly, I don't know if I will ever go back to Asus motherboards. They really busted my balls with the last 2. At one point I had over $1300 in credit card charges hanging out there. I got credit, but they charged me $450 (outrageous) for each P5N-E (I paid for 3), and it was their fault, not mine! Truthfully, I spent more in phone calls than the damn board cost, only to have to answer the same questions over and over again, than the damn thing was worth. They won't even discuss overclocking with you, while GigaByte embraces it and are very helpful! Like I said when I built the DS3, "it was the easiest build and overclock of my life"!

If I can manage the price, I want this MB!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128046
    P35 chipset and 6 stage power regulation. 12 usb ports, firewire and 2 external sata ports! They have changed the Northbridge cooler a bit from what Newegg shows as you will see if you look on the manufacturer's product page. DocTY was considering one for his Quad Core! Don't know if he ever bought one! Time will tell! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, this Asus board is probably the last one I'll buy, I missed out big time by choosing this over the Gigabyte. I personally haven't had an Asus board that's not had some issue or other. Reputation can only stand out so much, 3 problematic boards and you have to ask yourself if it's worth carrying on. My friend is a little like crowy in that he usually buys DFI boards (but he has had an Abit and an Asus in the past), and I'm ever impressed by the attention to detail on them with how many features, settings etc. they have, even the lower end boards have two network ports, 8 S-ATA ports with integrated RAID5 functionality and so on. The thing that stops me buying them is that they're incompatible with a lot of monitoring software, for example if you run speedfan on most DFI motherboards you'll get a bluescreen... Given how popular speedfan is that does suck a lot.
    I've not had any issues with the two MSI boards I've had, granted I haven't tried overclocking with them, they were OEM, but they seem to be on the up and up with regard to performance hardware. I think rather than choosing between Asus and Gigabyte next time around, I'll be choosing between Gigabyte and MSI.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Actually, the only companies that offer a good selection of socket 775 motherboards are Intel, Asus and GigaByte. All the others seem to offer a high end MB or 2 and then good boards, but not for the enthusiast! A lot have nothing that would interest me at all. Fine for business machines but not for overclocking.

Intel doesn't have any overclocking, and Asus doesn't support it. They won't even talk you you about it, even if you ask! All they will tell you is about the Ctrl/F1 keys to get to the advanced features! If you do have a question about overclocking they tell you it's guarantied to work at normal settings and they don't support those functions! I don't get it! I honestly believe that GigaByte offers the most of all the manufacturers today. They openly support overclocking and are very helpful if you have a question about it. I got the distinct feeling that GigaByte decided they were tired of being an "also-ran" when they released the first DQ6. The newest DQ6 with the P35 chipset comes highly rated! The GA-965P-DS3 v1.3 is now under $90 from the Egg and the highly praised v3.3 is only $109! BioStar, Abit and MSI mostly have good motherboards for stock machines and the price bump is pretty severe between ordinary and high end ones that can be decently overclocked. I use them a lot for office machines where on-board video is not a minus, it's a plus!

DFI seems to be a maddening company. They make some very good products but they always seem to be a bit behind as far as chipsets go. It looks like that situation is improving though! A year ago they were still selling P-III motherboards. LOL!! A plus is they do support overclocking!

Asus seems to be going through all sorts of problems right now as the complaints are just too many to ignore! The people complaining can't all be idiots. The P5N-E still has memory socket problems 7 months after I had my problems with 2 of them. Now out of the top 3 motherboards they make, only the Striker allows the use of DDR2. The next 2 down are DDR3 only! Can you say "take out your wallet and bend over"! LOL!! Their lower end company, Asrock doesn't make anything other than some nice ordinary motherboards for cheap, and some of them aren't very good!. I guess Asus doesn't want the competition! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I've heard the DFI motherboards are very good for overclocking. Do they have any motherboards that compare to the DS3?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar,
    Yes, but not in that price range. Let me ask you something! Are you unhappy with your DS3?

Best Regards,

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually YES!!!!

No not really, I love it. I'm just askin.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Why are you wanting to sell it then?

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just so I can build another one. I am probably just going to put in the same motherboard in the new one. I just want to change the video card, case, PSU, hard drive, and CPU.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I don't remember where you are located but Newegg has the v1.3 for $89.99 and the 3.3 for $108.99 !

Clock On,
    theone :>)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So how about a Q6600, a Corsair HX 620W, a 1GB HD2900XT and a 750GB Seagate?

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Heres the deal. Just about these Companies make good mobos to some degree and like Intel, Abit, and MSI, especially at stock. Now Abit for my use does not do too well at higher OC but does act on ACPI and C&P states of CPU and GPU under medium OC's whereas ASUS tends to loose reliability of ACPI modes after a certain FSB rise. Even Intel for the past few yrs now is offering a mild 10% or so OC'ability on the highen mobos, (!925XE, !945X, !975X and maybe the P965 and now P35). I dont see why the E6x50's shouldn't do 400x8 on an Intel P35 since it is ready for the next 1600 FSB 45nm CPU's to come.

Here's also my own experience with ASUS. The make well build mobos. If like me you like to be the 1st on the block to have the newest features then expect to have it be out dated soon enough (origional P4C800 & P5AD2). Given time to get it right they do knowck out a mobo that tends to be a solid workhorse if you know how to tweak it. And no, they are not gonna tell you how to soup up your rig, mostly to do with warenty, or liability. Most who have the money to drop on a nice piece like these know a thing or 2 about tweaking it out so it is more of trial and error. Like building a hot rod, the guy at the pro parts shop usually wont show you how to drive it when done.Best he can do is help with the individual part he sold you.

ASUS seams to offer some of the better voltages tweaks to et that high FSB OC regardless of wheather full ACPI works that good. Besides, most serious OC's just care about the FSB, and clock, not the rest, some mostly for braggin rights. If that's what you need, then go with ASUS but just keep up with the updates as they come even if it means the last rev of your old mobo (P4C800-E Deluxe or P5WDG2-WS). I will expect the same w/ new coming X38 as it is just too new. Wait fro ASUS to perfect the P35 and use it for another yr till X38 and mobo prooves itself or buy new and go with it if you're like me and just like to learn.

So if you like one brand (and many here seam to have their own) then stay with them but be patient for the final reliece of you desired chipset and model. Dont expect the low end models to get the best treatment, That effort goes to the top dog of the time, ie. P5w-DH or P4C800-E. These are 2 examples of mile stones of their time for the chipset family they were born for. just like any thing, once you get the bug out, you got a nice ride for yrs. Remember the ASUS P3B-F? Many still in service at good OC's for the offerings.