1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I paid £130 for my 2x1GB XMS2 PC6400 CAS4 in January. It's now £5 less than that to get 2x2GB of the same. How do you think I feel about that?

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I BOUGHT the PC8000 kind, but the ones I GOT are reported PC6400 by CPUZ, and everest. I can overclock them to 535 Mhz 4-4-4-12 at 2.2 volts.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

crowy,

Hey guy, I see you're an AMD guy. So If I wanna' keep my old CROSSHAIR in the game, what options do I have today or how long to wait for a new quad? I wanna' OC it for the fun so I dont need to fastest, just tweakable to over 3.2 would be sweet.

I sort of left off at an older F1207 Opteron 1212HE and OK ot 3GHz and cool on air but how well will a new 6000 offer me over the Opteron on the ASUS CROSSHAIR since I can't use the newer 23xx series for 940.

Just wanted a user feedback, cause I still use the mobo and would upgrade it for fun.

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Nucknfuts

am2 6200 black box edition overclocks up to 3.56 ghz stable on air, the review i read recons over 4ghz on phase change, they had it upto 3.65 on air but failed a few benchies, so with water it should do atleast 3.65 stable :eek:) with unlocked multi's :eek:))))

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is there actually such a thing as PC8000 though? or it is just 6400 modules overclocked by 25%?

The 6200+ is AMD's last stand for AM2 before the CPUs won't overclock at all. 3.5Ghz is high for an air cooled CPU, but bear in mind my bargain basement CPU will beat it when it's at 3Ghz, and they can go far further than that on air cooling.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know, I asked the exact same question, and the Crucial rep told me that it is actually PC28000 modules, not just overclocked PC26400.

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

amd x2 6400+ is better again

Review by: Steelcity1 on tigerdirect.com

The only noticeable diff at first that will catch your eye is the price and how it's 110 dollars more then the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ which is only 200mhz faster then the Athlon 64 X2 6000+. Dig a little deeper and you will notice that the Multiplier on the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ is unlocked unlike the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Multiplier. Now the 110 dollars more price tag starts to become more interesting, because instead of being limited to 3.3ghz like with the Athlon X2 64 6000+ with the locked Multiplier, you can now be able to reach clock speeds of upwards to 3.7ghz stable on the Athlon 64 X2 6400+. It may sound crazy but people that have bought these processors say that they are able to do it with just a little voltage increase and a decent air cooled system

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

but clock per clock the C2D's will tear up the AMD X2's. a stock E6600 which is 2.4ghz, will in most circumstances, outperform an AMD 6000+ which is 3.0ghz. OC the E6600 to 3.0ghz, which it is easily capable of doing, and there is no contest.

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

its just showing what amd are capable off on 90nm chips, I wasnt saying theyre faster blah de blah de blah, god speed isnt everything, i was only posting as I thought it was off interest to nuckfuts.

oh yeh nuckfuts the opterons arent as fast still on barcelona core.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I get the feeling that all the hoopla over AMD's "Dark Side" has to do with the 64x2 6400+ "Black Edition"! I've been seeing all sorts of stuff about it all day!

I have to laugh, some of the reviewers totally missed that it's un-locked multiplier even exists! Custom PC claims it's a DUD and that it can't overclock very much, barely reaching 3.4GHz! LOL!! Others say it will reach 3.7 with decent air cooling, while others forecast 4.0 with Phase Change cooling. From the benchmarks I've seen, it slots in between the 6750 and the 6850, but in most of the benches it's not equal to the 6750 with both at stock speeds! OC the 6750 and it's left in the dust!

What a letdown and a load of BS! I was hoping for something "worthy"!

Clock On,
    theone :>(

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll be honest here, I wasn't.

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I can't argue it for sure, but when I removed my coolers for the Crucial PC-6400's it had chip ID's like used on my older set of PC-667's (they to hit over 1000MHz) I had a yr befor (2005). So I came to believed that the best of the best D9 chips were used to put together the new PC-6400 and maybe PC-8000's. I also got them way early on in the DDR2 market when the !925XE was the top dog and DDR800 was not or was just becoming a JDEC spec.

Just as I mentioned few post bk, in most cases, all the RAM labeled over JDEC 800 is usually still 800's with bin picked top performers IC's to reach those higher spds. Although @ this same time (2005) I had DDR1 Corsair Xperts using DDR2 IC chips onboard to get the tighestest timings @ low Vdim. I did remove the cooler of the Cucial PC-8500's (Gold) for ThermalRight HR-07 DUO, and here, I can't clearly identify the IC cips. But they OC like good 'ol D9's.

AMD guys'

Good imfo so far. I'm not looking to outperform an Intel , just to get more out of it for what I cna mount on it w/o changing mobos. I'd like the Qudro Opteron 23 or 85 series but not supported on my mobo. My needs or wants is for sure an unlocked multi, I also want to stay on 2m L2 and OC to 3G is fine, more is cool. I just wanna know if the FX duals or new A64 X2's are gonn do any better OC and stable then current 1212HE or even the 1218 or 20+? I'd also like to keep it on the 65nm and 55/65/75w range if I can.

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Gigabyte Users

Who here was using the GA-P35-DQ6? And how tall is that NB copper stack? It looks as if I won't be able to mount my ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme or the 1FX-14 w/o removing the Crazy Cool system, and it actually looks like it would cool pretty nice for an integrated unit compared to most others (small aluimnum). Any using the copper Crazy Cooling on any of the Gigabytes to comment on its performance? It does look like I can get the CNPS9700-NT in there just fine.

14. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I really hate the fact that AMD had to choose to "affiliate" with ATi. I hate ATi's because of lack of support and horrible quality from the past. It's mostly a choice of opinion for me. I really want to buy the new PC's being made by AMD but since it's all ATi based... I guess I'll have to keep building custom PC's if I want AMD + nVidia.

Oh and I replaced the memory I believed to be faulty with another Kingston and have overclocked to a 3500+ again (2.25GHz) from my 2800+ (1.80GHz). Everything is going well so far so I'm crossing my fingers I don't get the BSOD again because I'm really starting to becomes comfortable with the performance.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@NuckNFuts

From Tomshardware
    Forum link:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244344-29-ultra-extreme-tight

@theonejrs
    ROFL..:)
    That was a good one...I kind of liked the Apartment Look...

17. crowy

crowy Guest

Nucknfuts,
    I would wait for the x4 Phenoms to arrive around December this year.If your impatient,the new black edition x2 5000 or x2 6400 dual cores with unlocked multi's might keep you occupied for a while:)Personally I would like to see how far the x2 5000 can go with high end air cooling.
    Regards,crowy.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

ya, I can wait till Dec. since I'm gona' be busy with my other project right now. I also didn't see a X2 5000 in 2mb L2. That's why I looked into the 6400.

I may have to orer my P35 based Gigabyte online since our 6 local Frys' did not order it. I wonder if I can expect to see the GA-X38T-DQ6 (x38 version) there either.

Also to the many asking IM/PM/email about the floppy and IDE; Yes, we wil continue to see them and even on the top, or especially on the top models, as anybody, like most of us, still using XP or the better Server 2003 as workstation and Xp x64, with Intel RAID, RAID Ready, or AHCI install, you will need it as XP/S2k3 CD can not route to any other device (even USB floppy). VISTA is sool for that right now. But a lot of pro audio/video users are not moving to VISTA till Adobe and other big names update for it. As for the IDE. A lot of users upgrading are still on EIDE ATAPI devices and need to stay compatible. IDE as both HDD & Optical is gona be a pro since you likely will only get 1 dual channel interface. To the guy who said he had to go scrap a PC just to load; If you've been on Intel platform since, then you knew you needed it. Why did you get rid of it in the first place? Lol!

What I would like to see as less audio or no connections in the I/O plate area, just like the good 'ol pro days when it was expected that the pro/enthusiest users oppted for PCI solutions. I have never used a on board codec for the as long as I can remember. Now it is cool to offer one, but like DFI at least make a PCI-E complient drop in riser if you need it and out of the way to free op slot for those of us that will never use it. Intel in the last days of !875 still offered a non integrated audio codec version for pro builder/integrators.

Clock On!

19. crowy

crowy Guest

Nucknfuts,DFI P35 Bloodiron

This may interest you if your after a P35 based board that's getting some wicked high FSB'S and excellent reviews.

The price is hard to beat!

Specs and price here

Might even be cheaper elsewhere.

Regards,Crowy.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: DFI P35,

Yes I do know that one and yesy it is looking pretty nice. I never really doughted DFI. Ben using them since they were found at the local PC wharehouse sale as plain white box bottom shelf specials. Especiall for the entry level it claims to fully utilize C/P combine with full ACPI. Should manage just like an Abit. Just wish the old Abit OC'd as well (AW9D-MAX) but was just made to be compatible with C2D & Q's. P35 is the way to fo for today to get the most out of DDR1066 & E6x50 CPU's. P35 is desighned with the future of 1600FSB in mind so 400x8 is jsut as good as normal. I even install str8 to OS as so now for P35 rigs.