1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Well you better hope they do soon! How long do you think the good prices on the C2Ds will stay good if AMD doesn't offer something better by mid 2008? I sure as hell don't want to pay $350-$375 for a 6750! That's what the alternative will be!

Clock On,
    theone :>{

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

rvinkebob: Since when have ATi had poor quality products? They certainly haven't in the past 7 years I've been using computers, or at least no worse than nvidia.
    Theone: I don't care to think about it. Why not stock up now? :D

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    With all due respect, stocking up now won't solve things down the road when the current C2Ds are obsolete and replaced by the new EXxx00 at xxGHz for $1500 and there's no alternative because Intel is the only ones making CPUs and can charge anything they want for them! We all better pray that AMD comes up with something good before they go down the drain. They won't exist in another year if they don't stop losing money! 2 straight quarters without a profit with a third one coming up the end of December is not a good thing for any large company!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

ATI has always made great products...It wasn't that long ago that ATI was the King...The 9800's were the only cards to have...

Right now Nvidia & Intel are on top...But ATI & AMD will rebound...Remember when AMD was the Top Dog...that wasn't that long ago either...

One thing I have learned about computers is "The Crown is Heavy"...Eventually it gets Passed to Someone Else...No One can Wear it Forever...Even Microsoft will Eventually Fall...

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I couldn't agree more. I got the earliest ATI Radeon AGP 8X Pro 9800XT card and loved it on my ASUS P4C800-E for a good yr or so b4 my 6800 Ultra and they barely kept up as it was the earliest PCI-E. The Verto GeForce FX5900 Ultra I had was nice but the 5 series for nVidia was nothing like the MX4000 days for them (what an overclocker on the ASUS P3V4x) so I pick the 9800 over it then when both new with the PCI TV Wonder car, they were cool and loved the RF remote and thru-view on my 19" flat was cool for surfing the net. Summer of 2003 was a good month for PC building. And then AMD was not the top dog for media/math PC's but they kept seling cause they were affordable for new builders and budget gamers. That will always have a bg market. Besides, right now AMD has got a good market in the server platform tithe new 23xx and 83xx Quads. I build one myself but need a new mobo for them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  6. crowy

crowy Guest

Lp531,
    I agree with everything you said except this
    Regard's,Crowy.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Nucknfuts,
    Your system,A64 X2 4400+ (89w) OCd to 2.85GHz/1170HT in your sig....If your at 285x10 and your on a 4x ldt/fsb multi, shouldn't your HTT be 1140?

Regards,Crowy.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Crowy
    I didn't say how long..:)
    Eventually your O/S will be Open Source and Chip Based...and I would bet well with in 100 years...

Just look at how Fast the Computer Age has Evolved...

Just Finished watching the Liddell / Jardine Fight...Man those were some Brutal Leg Kicks by Jardine...Liddell's side looked like Hamburger...Good Fight...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  9. crowy

crowy Guest

Lp531,
    Ok I agree with you.But let's just say not in our lifetime!!

Regards,Crowy.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I know I won't be around in 100 years...But I think I will see it in my lifetime...My Grandma is 97 years Old...I just think of all the changes she has seen in her Lifetime..:)

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@Crowy,

Ya, it is now and was as 290+ so I may have not updated the sig, in fact is is several months out dated. But good looking out. I guess people actually read it. In fact my F1207 AM2 Opteron turned out to be the 1214HE but not in sig for the CROSSHAIR.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Think back a mere quarter of that 100 years, that'd be 1982. Compare what PCs were like then, to what they're like now. Heavens, you could buy a solder-it-yourself kit more powerful than one of those old machines nowadays!

13. crowy

crowy Guest

NuckNFuts,
    If you drop that ldt/fsb multi back to 3x you should be able to go higher on the fsb.
    1140 would cause stability issues I'm sure.
    Remember thats one way,so 1140x2 =2280mhz.The default is 2000mhz.
    That's asking for problems.I'ts like having 2 cars on a 2 lane highway travelling in different directions.Both have their own lane then you open up 2 more lanes.Nothing changes!!
    Try to stay between 1700-2000mhz.
    You won't see any difference at these speeds.
    If you drop to a 3x ldt/fsb multi you'll be @ 1710mhz.That's quite acceptable.
    Bump the HTT to 290mhz and your at 1740mhz.And things are faster!

Regards Crowy.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I never focusses on overclocking my 4200+ much, but I do remember that if the HT exceeded 2000, instability was rife.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Is there some way we could help that along? ROFLMAO
    Atari had something like that back in the mid 80s. The OS was in Rom, but it wasn't open sourced, but they had a pretty good OS called "Gem" from Digital Research on their ST line. It was sort of like a poor mans Mac and in many ways better than what we have today. Other than being limited to 640x480 in 16 colors, it was very modern, even by today's standards. Featured true drag and drop and a host of other nice features, like serial, parallel and midi ports and a built in 720 floppy. It was great for music and I had a Casio keyboard hooked up to mine. It was also IBM compatible, and used the IBM disc format. You could bypass the OS and install IBM DOS on it or CPM if you chose. It also had a then unheard of 512 or 1024k of memory! I even bought the 20MB hard drive for it! Every now and then I drag mine out and hook it up. After almost 23 years, it still works perfectly although I don't know what I would do if I ever needed a new mouse! It has a PS2 connector but I don't know if a modern PS2 mouse would work. Way ahead of it's time and for $499 retail (ST1024), with a 13" color monitor, it was a bargain!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely didn't consoles like the PS1 and PS2 have OSes on chips?
    They couldn't have been stored in hard drives, as those were optional extras!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Nope, they had to be booted from a floppy! We had them when I was working part time for Avis! You could go out for breakfast while it was booting up and hoped there wasn't a disc error message on the screen when you got back! LOL!! It had a hard drive 10 to 20MB, but that was strictly for local storage! Avis used them, well into the 90s!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

?
    booting a playstation from a floppy?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Playstation??? I thought you were talking about IBM computers! ROFLMAO!!! Lp531 was talking about computers. PS1 and PS2 were originally computer models from IBM! ROFPIMPL!!

It's fun being old (sometimes)!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suspected that's what you were thinking of. My apologies for not being old enough!