1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now now, the 'ya mum' jokes are reserved for game lobbies.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    No! It's just an honest question, although I mistakenly wrote MHz. You could have 5GHz and if the throughput sucked, what good is it? The standards have changed in the last year. If you remember a while back when AMD improved the stepping on some of their x2s, I said that they could do that with the whole line of CPUs. Now AMD is doing it, but it's not enough. The shame of it all is that AMD could have done it a long time ago. I honestly think they believed such a move would be enough to match or beat the competition. Problem is they woke up one morning and someone had stolen their Christmas pudding! LOL!!

If you also remember, I reported hearing about a 3 core AMD over a year and a half ago! They idea then was to have 2 cores managed by the third. I believed then and still do now, that that would have been the better direction to go. What better way to control 2 microprocessor cores than with another microprocessor core with the same capabilities and instruction set. It certainly would have shortened the pipelines! Nothing would have to be converted or translated. Just raw power controlling raw power! We'll just have to wait and see if the new 3 cores are better than what they originally planned!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was only referring to the mis-typed character, nothing else. Your info is usually sound, I was just messing around!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I knew that, but I just was trying to make a point. No matter how fast you make a microprocessor, if it doesn't wind up being able to process data fast enough, then it's still slow! It's like when Intel was telling the world how fast their processors were by sheer clock speed. Now it's AMD doing the same thing! Intel, with the C2Ds have proven that to be false! Intel did it because they didn't have an answer for the 64x2s back then. Now it's up to AMD to find an answer for the C2Ds!

Clock On,
    Russ :>)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. It seems so strange to own a CPU I ony paid £100 for and find that 8 months after I bought it it's still effectively 'top of the range'. Granted you can overclock slightly higher, but I have just chosen not to, and you can have a quad core, but I'm not sure even I'd see the difference.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Core 2's and especially these newer 6x50's) like and preffer 1:1 or 1:2 at a balence of highest FSB but at better timings of the cl4 range (ie: E6750 @ 533x7 @ 4-3-4-8 @ DDR1066). Changing to cl5 just to get DDR1250 didn't give moch in the way of R/W times. So to the guys who can't hit the higher FSB then DDR800 w/ 3-2-3-8 is best if at least to 400x.

And That's What's Clockin' Like It!

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

hey im kinda new to overclocking. all i know is that it makes ur processor run faster than its suppose to right? can anybody like explain how overclocking works? how to do it, what happens, pros cons, and such? or link me somewhere that can tell me? thanks.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, all the answers are in this thread. You certainly don't need to read it all, but scan through the last 3 or 4 pages, I'm sure you'll get the gist. If you're still confused, then ask us.

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

He will learn about laserdiscs too lol,

dragnandy

its also worth posting the specs of your pc, as some motherboards do not have the options necessary, and we can also point out other limitations that you may have.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  10. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh alright, should have thought of that fist.

i think my copmuter is IBM NetVista A22p, as i have never really taken it out or looked at it yet. and i have a Intel Pentium 4 socket 478 1.6ghz. yea its slow. i hope that answers the question on what my computer specs are.

i googled IBM 229221U, which is what i scanned my motherboard for. and my computer is right here. everything is the same pretty much but some parts are upgraded. not the processor though. yes i know this computers a little old

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-IBM-NetVista-A22p-2292-229221U

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's pre-built, and it's IBM. Overclocking doesn't exactly spring to mind with either of those statistics. To be honest, an old prebuild system like that probably won't have any options for overclocking. Even if it did, it'd have cheap memory, and low-budget motherboard, and a bog standard CPU cooler, which would all result in a very measly overclock (less than 10% I'd expect).

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

best thing you can do is see if you can pick up a faster cpu, and get your memory upto 1 gig, it would benefit you much more than trying to overclock the current specs.

mind you for what it would be worth it might just be worth saving some cash up for a newer system.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm thinking the latter. Systems that old are money pits if you try and upgrade them.

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yes especialy with the way ddr prices are shooting up as its getting left in the stone age, still you have to miss the nice tight timings and low latencys.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, but then the lowest you could get was CAS2 I think, and PC6400 CAS4 is the same as PC3200 CAS2 in terms of speed, so we haven't really lost anything.

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

GeIL ONE W BH5 PC3200 400MHz DDR

that was cas 1.5 not sure if it can still be found though as it had nice tight timings, and was capable at overclocking like crazy. was out of my budget at the time though :eek:(

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No kidding, this RAM which I bought in January is the first RAM I've had which hasn't been budget value stuff, notably it's also the first time I've been able to overclock my PC well!

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

im lucky with my cheapo geil value, it likes my msi k8n neo 4, overclocks to ddr 500 with small voltage increase stock timings, had it to ddr 550 with the timings loosened only dropping, running it back at stock at the moment as im doing music and not gaming.

came up with an idea for silencing comps, will let you know how it pans out when ive built the prototype,and if it works patented :eek:)

such a simple idea and yet I have researched and no ones patented it yet :eek:)

best thing is its a cheap idea so no high manufacturing costs :eek:)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, the simplest step is just not to buy cheap-ass components. That cuts your PC's noise in half. Replace what's unavoidably rubbish (Graphics card stock coolers for example)

20. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

this should only cost about £10, not sure about how long it will take to make, not long at my first guess :eek:) lol damn I cant say anymore grrr, lol ill get building it up this weekend and let you know if it works :eek:) should cost less than using a multitude of high end coolers though.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007