1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. tryhard

tryhard Guest

ok i check for coolbits but no i use riva tuner for oc my card is coolbits better

2. angusman

angusman Newbie

hey does the creative labs PMC portable media center play mpeg1 encoded with DVDx 2.2

3. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Anyone do any sempron overclocking???

4. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

hgfhgfhfgh

5. Decrypto

Decrypto Member

is anyone here using the thermaltake big-water or similar water cooling systems?
    or are they a bit of an over kill?

6. gmill002

gmill002 Member

I was guiding my little brother through overclocking his Sempron 200 over the net, and upon hitting apply in SuperStep (the MoBo utility), the screen went fuzzy and an alarm went off. I got him to switch it off and reset the CMOS, an have not been game to overclock since. Now he tells me the system reboots itself randomly a couple of times per day.

He overclocked it from 166hz to 221hz when it fuzzed out.

any clues as to if there is damage to the chip?

It runs consistently at 36 degrees c.

Sempron 2200
    Winfast K7S41MG-6L
    768mb Generic DDR400 2700 ram
    350w PSU

7. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

well gmill if it boots is ok. semprons are good overclockers with less heat than xp try not going that far again

8. AZcustom

AZcustom Member

Hullo there. I built a system recently for a friend, a gamer system, and when setting it up, I didn't notice any problems. A week went by and just when I thought it was home safe and sound, he called me to tell me it's overheating. I at first suspected the case. It's one of the " Demon" cases, black with red LED's, about fifty bucks pretty much anywhere. It's an athlon XP 3200, the 400mhz core, running at stock speed, 2 sticks of Geil gold 512MB PC3200 Dual Channel, running in dual channel mode on an Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard. Maxtor 60GB Sata HD. Geforce 5500 256mb Video Card. He chose the video card from one of his older systems, I didn't get it for him. Last system I built I threw a Sapphire Radeon X800XT Platinum into the thing, out the box nearly 14k on 3dMark 04.

He says to me, "it overheats". I told him where to DL a program from Asus that monitors his CPU / MB temps, and sure enough, its hotter than a firecracker.

It locks up and/or reboots during heavy load. I have tried several things, at first thinking it was the board, then suspecting the ram. I have tried bumping it back to single-channel mode on the RAM, played with the latencies, upgraded the BIOS, and I cannot get the temp to drop enough to make it playable. I have replaced the stock fan with a Thermaltake Volcano 10, with Arctic Silver 2 compound, to no avail. Could it just be a bad proc? Or is there something I have not yet tried? I'm at my wits end, it should be a sweet system, but it's giving me nightmares....

AZCustom -

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  9. ppiper

ppiper Member

it sounds like u know what your doing i would take off heatsink and clean it real good with 99% alcohol and make sure u dont have any fingerprints or hairs on it and i use arctic silver 5. if you r putting to much or too less artic silver then your temps r gonna suck. i use artic silver 5 with a xp-90 and a loud tornado fan on my amd 64 3500 with a total of 6 fans wich =COOL make sure u have more air BLOWING OUT than in or equal air flow through the case u want all that hot air blowing out of your case. if it ran good for a week and then took a dive it could be more than one issue i would do the heatsink/fan/cpu cleaning /reappling first then if that dont work id check each part one at time next the ram then psu etc. run memtest86 and make sure u have your bios configured right. and also after i burned in my gskill ram they did perform better ,i used to believe that burning in the ram didnt work but it does for me.

10. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello azcustom that a nice gamer system.

ok first where you reading your temps from? compare the temps from your bios and any windows application the bios is the most accurate.
    some mobos has bugs in bios sensors there are bios updates for temps reading problems.

do this:

1-check airflow thru the case (small cases hold more the warm air).
    2-try to get from abit.com the bios update for temps reading issues
    what temps are you reading?
    3-reseat your heatsink and correctly applay artic silver 5 (highly recommend it).
    4-READ temps from both bios and abiteq application

let me know?

11. AZcustom

AZcustom Member

I'm ordering another motherboard for that Athlon XP nightmare system.. Also gonna go with a little less restrictive case.. Will post my findings.

AZCustom

12. bakasamaz

bakasamaz Member

can someone help me. i OC'ed my x800 pro vivo to xt Pe, but somehow some blackspots / squares appearing on some 3d applications and game. those applications and games that affected are: doom3 and 3dmark05.
    Not all tests on 3dmark05 affected, but only one affected. That is the 3rd test: Water Dragon and a flying Vehicle.
    here are some snapshots i took:
    http://www.geocities.com/audighozalli@sbcglobal.net/blkspots.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/audighozalli@sbcglobal.net/blckspts.JPG

please someone help me out. i tried everything i could but nothing can solve this problem. one time i tried to flash back to x800 pro vivo and the black spots/squares still appearing on those application and game.

thankyou

13. CruiserX

CruiserX Member

I was wondering whether I could possibly take my CPU higher by overclocking. Below are my system's specs. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

14. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello cruiserx of course you can you have the proper hardware to do so!.

there are to ways for overclocking a cpu(i dont know if you are new to this or you already know in that case don`t read this jejeje).

1-increasing the fsb:

your athlon 3000+ has a 400mhz fsb (as i read in your sig)
    200 internal bus.

you can increase your fsb by 1mhz at time or a little bit more(like 5mhz or 10mhz) until you get the highest and stable settings.

2-changin multiplier:
    your xp3000+ runs on a barton core which is lock so you wont be able to change that :(.

3-vcore:
    your xp3000+ vcore 1.65v you can increase it in 0.25v(1.65,1.7,1.725 and so on) try not to overpass the 1.85v.
    why increase vcore?? to cope with higher fsb more performance more power is need it!!.

and last but not least:
    cooling overclocking makes your cpu produce more heat especially vcore increase!! amd says that over 85 degrees celcius is xp fry temp! so you need extra cooling like a couple of case fans,and a bigger or better heatsinkfan (copper is the best material) in order to keep your cpu under 50CÂș celcius...

about memory your mem is ddr 400mhz so it should do well with your cpu that runs on 400 fsb set the cpu fsb/ddr ratio 1/1.
    and use tight memory timings 6-3-3-2.5t(some generic brand memorys wont let you use small timings values).

hope i help..
    let me know.
    ``overclocking is not about numbers...

15. CruiserX

CruiserX Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. As you can see, I have already overclocked the CPU. Its default frequency is 2100 Mhz and now it is running, at over 2300 with an increase of 25 in the FSB. But that's as far as I can get. Even with increased voltage, after a time the system crashes. I managed to boot at almost 2500 Mhz, with increased voltage, but Windows XP eventually crashed. So, I guess that's the limit for my system.

16. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

ok as i said you push it until it crash to kn ow your system limits every cpu is different when you overclock.
    most people recomend 25% or maybe 30% of cpu capacity.
    so if your syst. at 2.3 or 2.4 performs good or theres no difference you should leave it at stock values or just a little jump..
    xp`s 2800-3200 are not good for xtreme overclocking like older ones like 1800,2200,2400 and the best of all the 2500+ barton.

let check this:

1-what temps are you reading? at 2.5 or 2.4
    2-your memory settings,timings fsb/ddr ratio?
    3-what vcore values did you use?

17. striker68

striker68 Guest

Has anyone here overclocked a Sempron. I have a 3000+ running at 2000 but would like to overclock.

18. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

is your sempron socket a(462) or 754??

19. striker68

striker68 Guest

socket A

20. CruiserX

CruiserX Member

Well. Right now, the settings are as follows:

FSB: 220, multiplier 10.5 (my xp3000+ has a default fsb of 200)
    CPU Voltage: 1.675 (the default was 1.65v, had to increase it to keep the system stable)
    RAM: timings: 6,3,3,2.5, Memory FSB: 220
    Temperature reading: 47-49 deg in stand-by, 55-56 deg full load.
    I have a TITAN 10 $ cooler on the CPU.

That's all I can tell you for now.