1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but the first Pentium Ds were just basically two P4s duct taped together.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i want to overclock my ram but i dont realy know how. i have a biostar t force 550 motherboard and gskill ddr2 800 ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
    i had to take my ram speed down to 533 whn i overclocked my processor so that it would boot. so what do i need to do to overclock my ram? thanks

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    You could try lowering your cas latency to 6, and see if it will boot. You may have to also lower the other timings 1 level as well. Try Cas6 first and put it back to where it was when it wouldn't boot! That's a pretty decent OC for the processor you are using. My GSkill, which is cas4 PC6400 is running at 5-4-4-12, but I'm also OC'd from 1.8 to 3.2GHz. If I try to use 4-4-4-12, it just keeps rebooting. I could more than likely raise the voltage to solve that, but prefer not to exceed 2.1v! Stock is 1.9-2.0v!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This was partly true to an extent, to add though, they shared the large 4m L2 cache. So the D-840 for example on the lower 12x upped tosame 4GHz as later D-9x0/9x5's w/ dual 2m L2, returned me some very nice results (compared to single Prescotts at same speeds and even gave single A64's at time a run for the money in lots of areas.

I do not want to be mistaken as an Intel fan boy. I just worked with more of them then AMD sine the birth of Pentium w/ NetBirst. I only jumped on the AMD bandwagon for the launch of A64 on NF3 s754, s939 on new nf4 SLI the X2 for both s939 & AM2/F1207 where I stay for now.

Additionally, I was also impressed with how stable and easy to recover from hard lock ups in bad app crashes w/ Intel on Intel v/s AMD w/ nVidia. More time then often, a AMD app lock up usually required a hard reset, whereas Intel can more so then often could just be forced to S4 then resumed to allow to recover in a few moments opposed to having too loose desktop work to a crash. Even the P4 w/ HT was good for this, allowing to finish up and shot down or restart on a 2nd string.

But on my current s F1207 Opterons, I can say I'm now impressed with how well I can transcode in AutoGK (Xvid to DVD) with less out of sync as transcodes before. AMD is quite qorthy of both multi CPU server and general multi media.

So I like 'em both for different features.

Clockin' On!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

thanks for the info. i lowered my cas to 6 and it wouldnt boot. i had to clear the cmos and start over. i think i need to read more about the timings and what they do because i dont really know anything about ram or timings. i am going to do a little research and try that again. thanks

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

You got some good picks on RAM. Picking all the stuff I like to use myself.

Yes we do. I dont own this model, but I worked right along side of these with a both my Corsair Dominators @ cas3 and the OCZ FlexXLC and thes you ask about (OCZ SLI Edition PC-6400) do quite well in deed. Best if on nVidia 5x0i/6x0i but fine for Intel, just no EPP yet (OCZ will bring the ATI ready version to DDR2 just after it hits the DDR3 scene for X38 chips w/ AMD CrossFire dual x16). I'd still say not too much different in terms of OC then the ones you already have, but still good for tightening to 3-3-3-8 1T @ DDR800 @ 2.3v or 5-5-5-18 2T to 1111MHz. NOTE: OCZ actually does warrenty these overclocked to 2.3v (Crucial is fine to 2.35v but, DOES NOT state max volt warenty for OC). Now I can't say for sure, but I don't think they are using the D9 IC's but if using the ProMOS chips, they do pretty good considering. So not too bad. Again, if you're looking to OC CPU and stay 1:1 (wich is the norm for now on P35/X38's using DDR2), then these are just as nice with less heat then the Tracers. OCZ can take the 2.35v to get more MHz's or tighter timings, but just need to be air cooled. ThermalRitht heatpipes w/ fan is better.

Keep On Clockin'

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Anyone with a C2D or QX intel cpu:...TAT (Intel Thermal Analysis Tool) accurately monitors all of the individual core temperatures for Intel processors like the Core 2 Duo and Quad range.

Note* Reported temps will be much higher in TAT than speedfan or motherboard bios readings, they are read from internal diodes inside each core and are not comparible to non-core readings, expect temps of 60c+ even on water!
    TAT

Not sure if anyone here has tried this.Might be interesting getting some temps posted.

Regards,Crowy

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's a program called coretemp that does the same. For me, when speedfan reads 50C, that reads around 72-73C. When speedfan reads 40C, that reads around 53-54C.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah coretemp and Everest report the higher temps.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

All in all, is'nt the temp reading (other then CPU cores) dependent on the chip ic thermister installed per each mobo and card device? I had fussed with this over 2yrs ago when I got my 1st P5WD2 Premium (!955x) with D-840 and temps read much higher on this mobo then they did on most other mobos (especially the P5N32-SLI, wich actually read low and felt cool in function, 1st 8-phase PWR).

Everest for me reads same C2D's E7650 (both CPU's in either mobo) as low CPU/high cores on the ASUS P5K (P35) yet high CPU/low cores on the Abit IP35 Pro). This apears to match both BIOS and abit & ASUS software (wish in my past yrs experience has been the closest reliable for Windows inviroment monitoring. the ASUS for 1)

So I will try this and report back if it reads anything different (even on P5WD2 Premium. And thankx for the heads up!

Clock On!

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I think I reported this before, but I could be wrong! When I decided to try the newer F11 bios for my DS3 vr 1.3, it raised my CPU temp, but didn't raise the core temps which remained exactly the same. The result of which my CPU cooler fan ran a lot faster (1400 rpm at idle). Since I saw no benefit and had more noise I went back to the F10. When I changed the bios back to F10, my CPU temp dropped, and my HSF returned to it's normal 800 - 900 rpm idle speed. Core temps remained the same with either bios version! Since the core temps are directly read from the core sensors that surround each core, I didn't see any need or advantage in having my HSF running so fast! I have to work it pretty hard to make the HSF run that high unless it gets very hot in here!

Clock On,

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This was my finding in the very early ASUS P5AD2-E Premium in mid '04 (I got new in July) and later the P5WD2 Premium in Dec of the same yr. several CPU's (origional P4 540, P4 550J, P4 660, D-840, D-950, D-945) and various coolers ThermalRight XP-90-C, XP-120, Ultra 120, Ultra 120 Extreme, Zalman, CNPS7000B, 7700, 9500-Led, 9700-NT)

The P5AD2 would loose track of monitoring under old x86 Server 2003 when resuming from S3, but fine if going through auto ACPI S3 into S4 then resume from S4. If only resuming from S3 state, it would misread CPU temps and keep too low as if in S2/3 state still.

The P5WD2 (origional user know this already)had a different ic chip sensor that appeared to be reading from internal as the temps were always much higher then expected then even for warm Prescotts, causing TM1 (P state, ACPI BIOS controlled) state to act too soon even if IHS of CPU was normal for work load. I had to use thermal probes to confirm this on all the CPU's and different mobos of the time w/ TM & C1 support. If left to disabled, of corse BIOS read as hot but no throttling occured till BIOS and Everest readings hit 92C (really 72c on IHS contect).

Now I can't tell if this is correct or not and the app mentioned earlier doesn't appear to be able to run under Server 2003 R2 Enterprise and gives an error under XP Pro x64 for either D and C2D units, so I cant report any difference at this point. Anybody get it to run, if so under what OS and version?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I think the differences may be because the CPU Temp sensor reading is controlled by a chip on the MB while the Cores are direct read and not through a variable controlled by the bios! ITE IT8718 (on my DS3) appears to control how the CPU temp is read, which is controlled by the bios! This could very well affect the various S States because of the conditions of those at the time of the resume!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Gigabyte DS3R series users

How does the overclockability of the DS3R series lesser, if any, compare to the DQ6 series BIOS features(of same chipset)? P965 is OK to compare since this was the only DQ6 mobo I used to compare. I noticed the DQ6 for P35 introduced BIOS features for overvolting and control not seen in the P965/975X chipset except for better more elaborate 975X high-ends.

For example, will the DS3/R (for P35 mainly - GA-P35-DS3R) offer independent voltage tweak (CPU, RAM, IHC, MCH, etc.) or CPU-VTT, and CPU/Chipset GTLRF).

Also, for anybody interested, the Abit IP35 Pro is prooving to be a great comeback for Abit as I was not too pleased w/ my previous AW9D MAX w/ C2D OC'n. It just seams to keep up there with the ASUS P5K Premium but for less money and that's not bad. BIOS was a lil' picky w/ old rev. OCZ Platinum RAM but running Crucial is doing sweet now. Only limiting factor in the P35 OC's I have going on is the lack of stability outside of 1:1 or 1:2 for high RAM MHz's (ie. to DDR1220).

Can we get some feedback form some P35 chipset overclockers to compare notes?

Keep On Clockin'

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I'm not sure where you got the information on all of that, but it's not quite correct! The overvolting features that are included with the Ver. 1.33 DS3 are CPU, DIMM, FSB, MCH and PCI-E)! These are what's listed in the manual on page 45, but there may even be more under Ctrl+F1. Some of the features in the setup are not shown in the manual and only show up on screen when Ctrl+F1 are pressed! From what I understand, it's one of the better 965-P motherboards and has been highly praised for use with C2Ds! I can't wait to see what it can do with an E6750 in it. Couple of more weeks and I'll find out!

Best Regards,
    theone:>)

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

The features I reffered to are what is offered on most mid to upper end P35 solutions (all the ones I used so far). I was just curious if they were much offerent in the DS3R/P to DQ6 Gigabyte? (again same chipsets, weather it be P35 or 965P comps) I already had the DQ6 for P965 (rev 1.xx almost a yr ago and just got it back for trade in (my smae exact mobo). So maybe I can compare features I have with the DS3R/P version for the P965 if thats what you have. only a few extra items come up under "ctl+F1" menue for RAM and they reffer to RAM in actual multi ratio to CPU bus (ie. 1:1/DDR667 = 2.0). there is no CPU or chipset GTRLF, but only FSB term fer instead of VTT ref for CPU. For me, there's nothing really different from the P965-DQ6 v/s the P5B Deluxe except for the power management section for manual select fo TM2 and C1E instead of just AUTO lke ASUS likes to do. and Gigabytes version of the overclock profiles of corse.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I just got done having a conversation with my roomie! I had been discussing the possibility of going P35 as well as the E6750. He's decided that he would like my MB for the D-940, so if we can swing everything I may get the "best Buy" Gigabyte!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
    This $99.99 motherboard ($89.50 at MWave) equals both the high end Asus and GigaByte's in both overall performance and maximum FSB. It's the functional equivalent in terms of the setup of what I have now and the setup is almost identical. What it does lack, I don't need or use, so for me it would be a good move to go along with the new E6750.

It's shortcomings are, only 4 Sata with no raid, no firewire or external Sata and lacks the Ultra Cooling of the more expensive models. For as little as $89.50 I can have performance right up there with the big boys for a lot less money. I think it's a bargain worth looking into!

Best Regards,

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

20. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Hey peeps, its getting down to the nitty gritty with my build now.
    Ive decided to sell my (unused) E6600 and get the new G0 Q6600, but the whole idea is to clock the hell out of my processor with help from a top notch waterset up (thanks to Rob @ www.watercoolinguk.co.uk )

The question is am I going to break the 4ghz barrier with a Asus Comando mobo, now understanding more and reading the reviews its a good clocker but doesnt sit stable at its specified 570mhz fsb, I am a newbe when it comes to all the talk of frequencies so please when you reply remeber I only have a basic understanding and Im not a veteran clocker!