1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just kinda nit picking here but in your sig it says Pentium, well the E6600 is a Core 2 Duo. Plus you should probably upgrade that video card since you are spending money on your PC anyway.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    So buy this one instead!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
    Same specs unless you need raid, and a better chipset. It's the route I want to take and then put my DS3 with the D-940! Seems to be the best MB for the buck right now and will run with the high end motherboards!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

3. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Updated, should have said intel. Its a Q6600 now anyways.

Im not a gamer so £300's worth of graphics card is wasted on me!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    I doubt if you will hit 4.0! the Q6600 only has B3 stepping and seems to run out of steam at about 3.3GHz. Heat is not the issue so water cooling isn't going to get you there! It will run a little faster but stability will become a problem!

Clock On,

5. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    Not according to Tom's Hardware. Just about every review says the same thing. 3.2GHz is about average! Unless you are doing huge amounts of encoding, stay with the E6600. It's not worth the money for what amounts to a minimal amount of difference in the amount of work it can do. I'd like to know where it's reported that someone hit 4.0GHz with it, because I can't find anyone on the net who has come close to that. Maybe some bench racer, but none of the reviewers report results any where near 4.0! I tend to take Tom's Hardware at their word!

Clock On,

PS, I've never heard of G0 stepping before!
    TO

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  7. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Im building the PC to help ramp my folding club up the tables and learn how to OC, the whole PC build has been an education for me and its been great!
    Ive got the quad now, just trying to decide on a new mobo or not before doing anything else.
    Ive got a kick ass water set up to keep things cool and spent ages getting my case ready so hopefully should get good temps and clocks?
    Dont like the idea of my CPU running 1.66v though? I thought over 1.5 was bad!?

And reading that review of 3.8ghz using 639w means a new 1000w power supply I think!?

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

tinytom,

Your best bet to hit 4GHz is gonna be the E6750/6850. I have 2 there already but they do need the 1.52v and have tested stable to 1.6o if need be but start to get hot at load. Also the mobo you got then is getting older by the day so get your clock on, or go P35.

Honestly, if you're looking to OC higher, look into new X38 solutions. The P965 chipset will hold you back a tad to a good P35 or especially a nice . I'm looking into the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 myself but will settle with the P35-DQ6 for now. I'm waiting on a GO rev of the Q6700 so I shell let you know how close to 4GHz they can get. I'm gonna guess not as far as the E6850 wich hits 4.1GHz on air or FSB's to 550+ (mobo providing). I never got any of my E6600's to stable over 498FSB on any P965. Best was 495 stable on P5B Deluxe and P5WG2-WS to 499. This 965P-DQ6 was good to 475FSB stable w a E6700 on it. The vid card you have is more then fine and wont effect the OC if done right. I hit 4GHz (D-840) 2 yrs bk w/ dual 6600GT's. w/ modded 66.75 on !955x as fake SLI (8x/4x).

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    The problem becomes an electronic one. the higher the voltage the easier it is for leakage to occur. Causes errors and if you keep pushing the voltage to compensate, Poof! Good Bye CPU! Think of it like water pipes springing a leak! I personally won't go over 1.4V myself!

I used to do folding but dust became a very big problem and I had to give it up. Too much build up, if left unattended would cause the computer to run too hot! I've run a couple of different computers at near 4.0GHz and heat was not a problem with a good cPU Cooler and good case ventilation. I even had the D-940 to 4.02GHz for a brief moment of insanity but I had to go over 1.4v to do it! Somewhere a little voice in my head was screaming "Idiot"! I ultimately lowered it to 3.71GHz where it ran fine. There wasn't enough difference in performance to warrant the very real possibility of blowing the CPU!

Clock On,

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    So there is a G0 stepping! Must have missed the memo! LOL!!
    And to think, all I'm looking for is a nice everyday 3.6GHz with a 6750 on a P35 MB, and you have 2 running at 4.0! Just out of curiosity, how far could you get with 1.4v?

Best Regards,

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 4Ghz quad? Hmm, now they've become interesting again!

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So those are the only differences? Just RAID and the P35 chipset? I don't RAID anyway since I have one HDD.

@Tom
    What will you be doing with your PC?

EDIT: Figured it out. Man you guys post fast!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    They will become interesting to me when there's enough apps to justify going that route. By then the price will have dropped a good bit!

Anandtech got theirs to 3510 and that was as far as they could go with the G0 stepping stable! This was on a P35-DQ6 MB! Of course, your mileage may vary (their comment)! You may get one that's faster but you may also get one that's slower! It's the luck of the draw! LOL!!

The wierd part is they achieved 3488MHz at 1.360v, while they achieved 3510MHz at 1.150v! They also have no idea why! LOL!!

Clock On,

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    It's the same as the DS3 minus 2 Sata ports and it has the 888 sound chip! Even I'm getting excited at the prospect! LOL!!

Clock On,

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Cool I probably will end up getting that then!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:-( Stop tempting me!

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I see someone is still unhappy with their motherboard.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, It just enables me to get a quad in the future, and in all honesty, I still can't think of a use for one. it's some extra RAM I'd like right now, I've been cutting it fine (2006MB used in FEAR:Extraction Point) recently...

19. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Well I want to put it to the best use I can, no point spending loads on a pc build just to stare at it, its a project to see what it and I can do after all.
    Im hoping to learn as much as poss from you guys when the nitty gritty starts too!

So do you think 750w PSU will be up to the job?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Any half-decent 750W PSU should be able to run any PC you can build.

On the watercooling parts front, have you had any problems with those Liang pumps? One of my friends has had several and they kept breaking so he changed it for a D-tek one. Also, he seems to think that BlackIce rads aren't that good, but I'm not a watercooling guru so I wouldn't know. What sort of temperatures do you get?