1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Another nice feature I discovered about the GA-P35-DS3L is that there are 4 USB headers on the MB! If you have 2 front USB, that leaves an additional 6 for the rear that can go in an expansion slot (not the pci!) Those come in 4s and 2s, so nothing will be wasted and will give you a total of 12 USB ports. Nice!

I read an article on 8 P35 motherboards compared and the best overclockers were the DQ6 followed by the DS3. I confirmed with Gigabyte on Friday that all the GA-P35-DS3 series have the same overclocking capability and that the only difference between them is the sdditional features like the NB cooler, external Sata and Firewire plus an additional pair of Sata ports. The higher dollar ones also have Raid!
    Here's the link! Interesting reading!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/19/eight_p35-ddr2_motherboards_compared/index.html
    The MSIs and the Foxcon seem to suffer a lack of ability with the FSB at a x6 multiplier compared to the GigaBytes, Asus and the Abit IP35 Pro. The P35 also has DDR3 support. The lone P965 in the test, an Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi-AP also did very well! I very much like the $90 GigaByte as it suits my needs. It may not have all the goodies of the more expensive boards, but since I don't need them and can get the same performance for a much lower cost, I think it's a winner!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Coo, I think if I can't manage to sell this PC I'll be upgradin a little at a time. I just sold my 7600 GT and bought a X 1900 GT!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Excellent stuff, and I'll bet you hardly ended up paying anything.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

Actually, I've only had 2 and both "GO" for a Q6700 and Q6600 the same.

I came accross the GA-P35C-DS3R for the "S" series and will run some test on for feedback if interested. It already comes in close to compare with older 965P-DQ6 in the 400+FSB range but with much cooler mobo temps and thats w/o any Crazy-Cool. I did install a ThermalRight HR-05 heat-pipe chipset cooler and it is very responsive to power loading. It only climbs to 37c under Everest stress test and returns to 23c idle, 24c mild working load. however, these Gigabyte do not display CPU temp on top of core1/2 temps. just the cores. is this same for your DS3? And it is not lowering the vcore under idle either just like my ASUS P5K Premium and P5KC (this is the DDR3 unit like P35C-DS3R).

Just Clockin' Around

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It only cost me 15 dollars more.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Single Drive, RAID Ready

A lot of you may not need raid in terms of back up security, but since this is an "overclocking" forum, I must mention the bennifit of a single disc on an AHCI/RAID controller, especially the Inetl integrated ICHR5/6/7/8/9/10's. I know, you gotta' dig out that old floppy, but it can add a bit of spunk to a OS and media editing drives, especially Photoshop, Premiere, and others. In most cases, like w/ Gigabyte, the difference of the "R" v/s non "R" (ie. P35-DS3/R) is usually only 20 - 30 USD's. A lot of you spend an extra 100+ USD to get an extra 50 - 75+ MHz of GPU or RAM on a GDDR2/3 graphics, so why not add some kick to your storage sub system. And for those, like myself using the old , but lovely 10k RPK Raptors, you're gonna' fel the difference even over a new 16mb buffered SATA-2 (SATA-300).

Gamers, load ISO images of games from a RAID 0 or RAID ready drive for quicker load times.

If you already have it , give it a go. It is tricky adding it to existing OS install, but can be done if you have 2 more SATA devices (CD/DVD is OK).

And That's What's Clockin' Like It!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I think this may be a problem with the MB and Everest or speedfan. I've had problems reading the last 2 Asus motherboards with speedfan and Sandra. The DS3s, both 965P and P35 display the CPU temp as well as both core temps with Everest! I've never used the software that comes with it as it's clumsy and doesn't show anything in the taskbar. You have to open it to see anything! I like the Ultimate Edition 2007 version of Everest as it shows just about anything I want in the taskbar! I'll have more answers for you when I am able to get the GA-P35-DS3L and get it up and running!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

These recent reading were with Everest and are for the "C" version of the P35-DS3 (GA-P35C-DS3R,the DDR3 /DDR2 model). And the 23c/37c temps are the mobo. I dont use SpeedFan, I never got anything different form it I can get form ASUS PC Probe or Everest. I nvere like how unclear it was to identify the given thermistors for wich fans and chips and such, and it fluxuated so much. Of corse it's been 4+ yrs since used it so maybe berret today.

And no, Everest isn't displaying any "CPU" temp, just cores 1/2. Although, still on F1 BIOS, so maybe they fixed, my older DQ^ is already on F6 i believe

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Perhaps Everest will require an upgrade so the controller chip can be seen by the software. Makes sense, as the motherboard and it's chipsset is completely new. It took an upgrade for it to read my 965P-DS3 properly, even though I installed the chipset drivers! Guess I'll find out when I get the new MB! Does the software that came with your MBs read it properly?

As far as Speedfan goes, I just didn't like it so I wasn't about to invest in the pay one. Sandra didn't matter as I have the pay one and it still won't read it! It just gives a message: "No environmental variables found"! It doesn't read the fan speeds either!

Best Regards,

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs, or any DS3R or DQ6 owner,

Where is the mobo rev. no located on these 2 mobos or how can I identify via windows app or match to box serial or tag? I believe the DQ6 is Rev. 1x cause of how long ago I got it, (bout early summer last yr) and it did show as bios ver F6 in CPU-z but rev is blanked out as usual. there site show is as needing F10 if rev 1 and the P35C-DS3R is either a rev1.x or 2.x and I mounted it already and cant see it but if I knew more or less where I can poke in w/ a probe light.

Thankx!

Trying to find it is drivin' me nuckin' futs!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It should be between 2 of the PCI slots. I know that's where it is on the GA-P35-DS3L! It doesn't stand out real well! Hope this helps!

First go here:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...VenderType=Intel&CPUType=socket+775#Intel P35
    select your MB and click on it. Once the page is loaded go up to support at the top. From the drop-down menu select USA Customer support. Click end user. From the Choose one on the left choose Add New Request. Scroll down to Item Description and you will see just below it, "How to find"! You will see MB/Ver. Click on it and it will show you where to look!

Best Regards,

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I wouldn't take every review we read as "IT". So many things play a part, like mobo revision, BIOS version, CPU core REVsion and steping, PSW voltage rail stability. And of corse cooling and venting.

I found a review of of the GA-P35C-DS3R and said it was just able to get to 344 on air w/ an E670. so I find this odd. Cause every C2D I played w/ to date since last August has hit 400x (multi caires) on every !975x and my P965's.

I find these as a good refference point but cant really know untill you try it for yourself.

For me, w/ my P35C-DS3R and DDR2 1066, I can boot, and install OS as 400x8 (1.28v) @ DDR800 @ 4-4-4-10 @ 2.2v and crank it up to 500x7 @ 1.36v (3.5GHz/FSB2000) as 1:1 (2.0x) as DDR1000 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.3v. I barely tweeked much to get it there and gave no hick-up as of yet before stress testing. This mobo has good better PWR handling even compared to older DQ6 w/ its 12 phase PWR and heat pipe cooler. Thes DS3's have no active cooling and can only go a lil further if we installed some. Using large ThermalRihght chipset cooler sure helped. and copper SB cooler.

So overclocking the P35 looks good and promising.

Go Get Your Clock On Bois!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    First, were you able to use the link to find the Rev. #? I hope it helped!
    I tried one on mine. The 6 cfm Silenex 40mm was actually better. I mounted it blowing down on the NB heatsink and it worked wonders. Tried it both ways but blowing down was best! I sent the Thermalright back! I also tried an Evercool. I didn't need anything more than a passive heat sink on the SB! Plenty of airflow in my case! LOL!!
    Try the x6 multi! Tom's Hardware was able to get to 558 with the same MB. 559 with the DQ6! Then again you're at 3.5 so I guess you are better off with the x7! In the Tom's Hardware tests, the P35-DQ6 and the P35C-DS3 finished one and two in overall performance!

I'm going to concentrate on the E6750 first and then if I can I'll get the P35-DS3L! Even if I have to keep my current DS3 for a while longer, I should Still be able to get to 3.6 on air with no problem.

BTW, I happened to notice that all the P35-DS3s have 6 stage power regulation. I found that when I was trying to find where the damn Ver. # was! LOL!!

Best Regards,

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

This is the same link i get when searching but it doesn't say what section after I get to the link. Did you actually find it yourself. What Gigabyte app will show DMI rev x.x no? Will it say in CMOS somewhere or in POST?

Ya, 500FSB was a walk in the park for this, so I will play w/ it as so for a bt and move on the see if it can touch the 600FSB mark. If so, it would be something since I barely got 575 stable on the P5K Premuim, w/ same DDR2. The ASUS is more picky bout even number ratios to RAM. The DQ6 was very forgiving for those odd ball ratios to keep RAM FSB high. Although it scored better in either 1:1 or 1:2.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I'm sorry, just scroll down to the chipset and pick your MB. Once you pick the MB go to the very top and click support and follow the rest. I just tried it so I know it works. Usually they are located between the inner PCI slots!
    Here's where they say to look!
    http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/eService/motherboard_pcb_ver1.htm

Best Regards,

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  16. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Again Everyone (Russ - Theonejnr),

I upgraded my cooler as recommended by you great guys on here (Zelman 9500LED), so here is my system now as it stands:

Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Case
    Seagate 320gig 7200RPM SATA-II 16M cache Hard Drive
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 MotherBoard
    CoolerMaster IGreen Power 600W PSU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    Zelman 9500LED
    X2 Kingston DDRII800 1GB RAM
    Bios: Award Software International, Inc. Version:F9

This is the Bios settings I have, hopefully someone can put me in the right direction as to how to get a good overclock!:

ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES
    ------------------------------------------

Limit CPUID Max to 3 [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology [Disabled]
    Init Display First [PCI]

MB INTELLIGENT TWEAKER (M.I.T.)
    ----------------------------------------------------

Robust Graphics Booster
    CPU Clock Ratio [10x]
    CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [333] .............Was [266]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100] .............Was [Auto]
    C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplyer (SPD) [2.50] ............Was [Auto]
    Memory Frequency........................................800....................830
    High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option 1]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]
    x CAS Latency.................................................5........................Auto
    x DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay....................5........................Auto
    x DRAM RAS# Precharge ............................5........................Auto
    xPrecharge Delay (tRAS) ............................18........................Auto
    xACT To ACT Delay (tRRD)........................3........................Auto
    xRANK Write to Delay..................................3........................Auto
    xWrite To Precharge Delay...........................6........................Auto
    xRefresh To ACT Delay...............................28........................0
    xRead To Precharge Delay............................3........................Auto

Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

******* SYSTEM VOLTAGE OPTIMIZED ******** This is all on [AUTO]
    xDDR2 Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xPCI-E Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xFSB Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    x(G)MCH Overvoltage Control [Normal]
    xCPU Voltage Control [Normal]
    xNormal CPU Vcore 1.32500v

PC HEALTH
    -----------------
    Vcore Ok
    DDR18v Ok
    +3.3v Ok
    +12v Ok
    Current System Temperature 42c
    Current CPU Temperature 54-55c
    Current CPU Fan Speed 2089rpm
    Current System Fan Speed 0rpm
    Current Power Fan Speed 953
    Smart Fan Control Method [Auto]
    Smart Fan Control Mode [Auto]

17. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

The temperatures on this overclock are taken from the bios and not under load, I'm just wondering if these temperatures are ok for my overclock?

18. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ooops, made a mistake, modified from above:

Current CPU Temperature 58-60c
    Current CPU Fan Speed 2159rpm

CPU Voltage Cpntrol = 1.31250v

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  19. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ooops, made a mistake, modified from above:

Current CPU Temperature 58-60c
    Current CPU Fan Speed 2159rpm

CPU Voltage Cpntrol = 1.31250v

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That CPU temperature's much too high for the BIOS, I wouldn't want to see those sort of temperatures at load. Are you sure you applied the thermal paste correctly, and that the cooler is securely attached?

Also, if you want to change some information in the post, use the 'edit' button on the far right of your message at the top. It saves posting multiple messages.