1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use Everest for my temps most of the time.

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

NextSensor

This is a good little program monitors everything that everest would controls your fans too, the first program I have found thats truely plug in and play for fan control.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have Everest Ultimate Edition 2007, and as far as I'm concerned it's the best thing since Beer! Free Beer! LOL!!
    It displays in the taskbar with each individual little box in different colors and the colors are grouped in shades of the related main color with numbers in the box. The intensity of the colors goes from dark to light by order of importance to the main function. It displays 13 different parts of your information with everything from Case Fan Speed, HSF, HD, HSF, Vid Card, both Core Temps, CPU, MB, CPU Speed and all the voltages including Memory! It's just Too Cool!

I had no manual so it took me a while to figure it all out. The only flaw is that all the colors are not grouped together. You can turn on E.I.S.T. and watch the CPU Speed change depending on load! Everything that's monitored will flash the box where the problem occured and pop up a balloon!

It's also extremely accurate. I tested the voltages with a digital VTVM and they are spot on. I used an Industrial Thermal Probe with a real tiny probe on a thin flex cable. It's readings are about 1-2C lower than reported. Since I'm getting the temps off the base of the heat sinks right in the middle, that's would be about what I would expect the difference to be. Highly Recommended!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Ive got everest ultimate, but that lacks the fan control, and ive got NextSensor displaying cpu, core1, core2, and gpu temps in the system tray . also has a nice password protected remote monitoring function where you can get the temp readings over the net / network, as well as your critical shutdown temps, shows all your voltages in the main panel, and it is displaying exact same readings as everest ultimate, just a nice handy little utility, which can take the place of 2 others :eek:)

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To add, The "E" "Enhanced state of C1 is what allows this, otherwise C1 by itself doesnot lower ratio, only during throttling, Now if "E" C1E used correctly with TM2 enabled, use the ratio tables from TM2 to also "lower" the vcore with the ratio, and this it what really lowers power to reduce heat.

Example: E6750 @ 400x8 BIOS vcore set to 1.23v = 6x @ 1.11v, 7x @ 1.20v, 8x @ 1.28v.

TO; theonejrs

Turns out I have Everest Corporate 4.00.975 but do have Ultamate v4.10.xx and is still not full Bearlake supportive yet. The corporate does bout the same as new beta but stil reads no CPU temp (just cores 1 & 2) and +12v is way off. Any luck on a app like Corsair's Memory Dashboard to read RAM temps and vdimm? Gigabyte appears to hove no such app like ASUS to read extra info on DMI pull. Doesn't display the defult voltages as a refference to when overvolting. Not used to this style.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    Since some of the Motherboard companies are starting to add more fan headers to the MB, The Built In fan controls work better than any software ever could. At least they do with my GigaByte MB! I can't manually adjust the fans speeds as good on my DS3! When you set it to PWM, the PWM controls the HSF Fan Header while all the 3 pin headers are under voltage control. Light years better than the "Cool and Quiet" on My AMD 4000+.

I've tried SpeedFan and it doesn't report the speeds right and upgrading didn't help. Waste of Money for me! It also ran about 7-8c higher than it does now! A lot quieter now too! I know it sounds weird but it runs cooler when the HSF runs at 8oo rpm than it does at 2400 rpm!

It's the best Motherboard Utility I've ever had, and it balances out the case airflow so it runs as cool as possible! I used to hate Award bios, but this one's the Bomb! Neat Stuff!

NuckNFuts,
    That's really strange as I display core1, core2, CPU and MB temps on my computer. It must not recognize your ITE chip! It recognizes my IT87F chip with no problem. I've had problems with Sandra and Speedfan not recognizing the chip, but never Everest. I have it on 5 computers at this moment and all from my old Dell 420 P-III Workstation to this one and all display the CPU Temp!

Oh Well! I did like the price, however! "$0"! LOL!! Just curious! Is your 12v reading real low, to the point of worrying about it? I get 11.39v on my 12v. Let me know, please as I almost sent my MB back because of this problem! In reality I found out the the 12v is actually 12v or a little higher all the time with my PS! It seems to stay between 12.03 and 12.11v. It took me quite a bit of hunting to find the right meter to be able to accurately measure the correct voltage under load. It ammounts to a solid state equivelent of a VTVM. Sure glad I chickened out and didn't send the NB back to Gigabyte! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

its finding the sweet spot with cpu coolers as if you have them running too fast you actualy create back pressure in your case thus reducing the overall cooling, mine runs coolest at half speed around 1300 rpm, the only tme it works better is when i have the case fans running at 12v and the cpu cooler running about 75- 80 % 2200 ~ 2300.

but its only 1ºc difference, neighter of my cores are going over 45ºc on orthos, and it idles with 1 core around 28ºc the other 34ºc cpu(mobo reading) 29ºc not bad for a slightly undervolted overclocked 4200 x2 939 :eek:) @ 2750 :eek:)

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

oh yeh i thouht you would be one of the few interested in Thaiphoon Burner

10/07/2007
    Today we would like to present you the public prerelease version of Thaiphoon Burner 4.0! It is the ultimate and outstanding solution for viewing, editing and enhancing SPD firmware. Combining a reliability, flexibility and simplicity, Thaiphoon Burner is the best choice for companies that specializes on RAM production. Thaiphoon Burner 4.0 brings support for two new memory innovations, such as the JEDEC DDR3 SDRAM standard and Intel Extreme Memory Profiles. Now Thaiphoon Burner is capable of decoding SPD data according to the DDR3 SPD3 specification to create detailed reports. Additionally, the fourth version features a new applet similar to the well-known EPP Enhancer. It is Intel XMP Enhancer, a thought-out conception of the editor, designed to work with XMP profiles. Using the XMP Enhancer you can create your own XMP profiles for your DDR3 RAM sticks for less than minute! Take advantages of the latest Thaiphoon Burner 4.0!

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

GA-P35C-DS3R

Sensor Type = ITE IT8718F - (ISA 290h)

[​IMG]

This is only on the Gigabyte as of now so it is strange since the same beta showed CPU temp on both an ASUS and Abit P35, even if +12v is still off. But then Everest v4.00.975 Ultimate did show as not full Bearlake supportive yet, The Corporate Edition did not specify but as it is it's the same plus no memory read/write test available in Corporate Edition
    [​IMG]

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    See my edit above!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs

Oh ya, sorry, I thought I mentioned it. the +12v reads as in the lower 1.92v idle - 1.24v loaded (yes "1" volt, not "12") This why I believe it is not reading the P35 chipset correctly yet as it is in close range of my other "3" P35 mobos.

I did check on Windobound sensor of ASUS !975X and it reads only the CPU temp of a D-950 (C1) and no core temps. Also the TAT tool did not load under Server Enterprise x64 or x86 to test, but did load under XP Pro x64 on the new P35 Gigabyte build and the digital core readings come close to what Everest corporate it showing for cores 1 & 2. w/i a +/- 1c
    [​IMG]

12. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well this kinda has to do with overclocking but... as I asked if 60-90C temperatures were normal (full usage) on a video card, I thought I was really gonna make it for a few more years with the 6600GT. Seems that the cards busted and won't run worth anything.

It gets as far as the end of BIOS check with funky weird graphics and then just doesn't display a signal. I know it's the card since I swapped with my old GeForce 440 MX and worked fine. I guess I got another card to start 'clockin... not!! It's the only "working" card I have now :(

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

rvinkebob,

How long have you had them cards (6600GT), and how hard did you push 'em?

I had one fail on me but not dead, just wouldnot work in SLI anymore and if used as single, would crash video and require a restart or often just go to BSOD if attempting to run overlay for video playback. I could use it as default on windows driver but no open gl, 3d, or overlay. Anyways, the one in this recent pic (my earlier post) for benchtesting is the 2nd of that pair and otherwise are good and stable.

I read of it happening but never followed up to see if there was a flash fix to correct it.

Anybody else have this happen either?

Clock It Forward!

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nuts, I thought you only had Asus motherboards. When did you get the gigabyte? Plus does it come with the LEDS betweens the memory sockets?

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

abuzar1, - Ya, I usually do and Still hae since past 3 months now but my latest experience with the P5K Premium was buggy for the money spent and after getting my old DQ6 back and having a moment ot play round with it and with many good feedback form cool members like theonejrs, who also had ASUS got me to thinking to try something different.

So, now I desided to go "GetaByte On" and liking it so far and also desided to try the X38_DQ6 when it hits my local Fry's store.

The Led's are built into the bottom of RAM modules of the Crcial Traces. But the Antec P160W case is also treated with black light and most of the items on this mobo, like DFI are UV active so it just adds to the light show. Gotta' have a lil' extra "bling-bling". Every good mobo's gotta' have some ground effects too.

16. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I got it about 2 years ago and have only clocked it about three times and only the GPU, not memory. And I put it in other computers as well with the same results. I'm more than sure it's dead. Oh well, two years was a good run.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh yeah those are RAM sticks. For a while there I thought they were empty sockets. I have the same ram lol.

EDIT: So how well does it overclock?

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

It overclocks quite well and for how little it cost is the impressive part. I wish ASUS put as much attention to detail and reliability to their lesser models as they do the "FlagShip" models. This has a limit compared to the ASUS of corse in the area of higher stable FSB overclocks. But it is cool and stable to 515FSB easy right now. I'm working on stabalizing a test run at 533x7 but it is a lil' picky and of corse we are limited to cPU vdrop and voltage tweaks of a performance P35 solution (hence maybe the P35-DQ6).

As I already said, it does 400x FSB almost natively, and why not, since these mobos should be ready for coming 45nm and 1600FSB cores. Remember when an E6600 did 1333 like nothing in Autp everything). Well, that's the E6750 now, so why not just go to 500FSB. So this is the new sweet spot even though it only gives 3.50GHz, it does it a a tight 1:1 of 4-3-4-8 for DDR1000 @ 2.2v or full Auto (even EIST) at 400x8 @ 3.20GHz @ 1.30v @ 1:1 DDR800 @ 3-2-3-8 @ 2.2v.
    [​IMG]

These RAM modules are the PC-8500's but they apear to be built off the PC6400 chips and speed binned to perform at 1066MHz.

Were you thinking about getting one too?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  19. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi All,

Does anyone know what (G)MCH Overvoltage Control does because it seems that unless I put it at +0.1v I get really bad frame rates in games (almost static frame rates) and graphical errors.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually i already have those.