1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I finally overclocked my new X1900 GT! It reaches 527 Mhz core and 837 Mhz memory.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not bad for a GT, especially the memory speed. It's higher than a stock XT-X.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sheeny33, - Better Chipset Cooling

I think you said you have the CNPS9500 so you are clear to go with even the biggest ThermalRight HR-95 and 05iFX with plenty of good air flow from the Zolman even without the optional fan. I also lke to use solid copper and use a set from EnzoTech as model CNB-1 for the NB and CNB-S1L for the SB. These do so well for being so small even compared to older ThermalRight HR-05 w/ no fan. The will feel hot to the touch, but this is where you want the heat, on the sink, not the chip. Most fine finned or large block aluminum sinks tend to loose the heat before it can get to the ends of the fins or rods of a good heatsink, bottoling a lot of heat down in the chup area. So these solid copper units are awsome for goos quiet, yet effective cooling. Add a fan (low rpm) and even better. Keeps a 1.6v OC'd !975x to 32c idle, 35c mild work, & barely to 37/38c on intence gaming or transcoding. (stock ASUS was over 41c easy at medium high load.
    [​IMG]
    I get them here in San Jose, CA @ http://www.svc.com/chipset-cooler.html

Hope this helps to pick.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well my E6750 will be here Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'm finally going to get a chance to see how well G0 stepping is going to work on a 965-P MB with a native 1333 FSB!

These guys got to 3.92GHz with a stock Intel cooler!
    http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6750_Performance_Preview/
    Granted it was open air, no case but still! That's pretty amazing! From all the different overclocking tests I read this CPU is a "Gamer's Dream"! It performs better with games than all but the Quad cores, and that's only if the games can handle 4 cores! I'm also anxious to see how the memory bandwidth works out. It's as high as 8700+ on a P35! Guess I'll find out!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)(<:

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Best of luck with that Russ, the E6750 seems an absolute riot for overclocking on air cooling. If I weren't completely lacking in funds right now, I'd want to upgrade, but suffice to say I can't justify the cost for a 30% performance gain. Besides, there's very little that's had me saying 'I wish I had a faster CPU'.

6. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Well the E6700 can O'clock to 3.66Ghz without breaking sweat so I'm guessing the E6750 wont have any problem getting to near on 4.00GHz mark!,will be intresting to find out from Russes reports. Icidently whats the difference between the E6700 and the E6750?, I hear the E6750 is cheaper but why?, which ones better?.

Thanks for the info on the coolers NuckNFuts, I'll be going for Silenx one I think with the fan.

Heres my latest Bios, I've changed a few things as recommended by you Russ, I ran orthos on 1.40000v without a single problem so I dropped it down to 1.32500v and that seemed to work fine and passed all the tests.

Because my temperatures seem to be quite good, I want to overclock even more especially the memory so what should I try next?

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio [10x]
    CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
    System Memory Multiplyer (SPD) [3.00]
    Memory Frequency........................................800....................1000
    High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option 1]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Manual]
    x CAS Latency.................................................5........................5
    x DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay....................5........................5
    x DRAM RAS# Precharge ............................5........................5
    xPrecharge Delay (tRAS) ............................18........................18
    xACT To ACT Delay (tRRD)........................3........................3
    xRANK Write to Delay..................................3........................3
    xWrite To Precharge Delay...........................6........................6
    xRefresh To ACT Delay...............................48........................48
    xRead To Precharge Delay............................3........................3

Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

******* SYSTEM VOLTAGE NOT OPTIMIZED ********
    xDDR2 Overvoltage Control [+0.1v]
    xPCI-E Overvoltage Control [+0.1v]
    xFSB Overvoltage Control [+0.1v]
    x(G)MCH Overvoltage Control [+0.1v]
    xCPU Voltage Control [1.3937v]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just obviously beware that all the specifications silenx post about their products are completely false. Never buy a silenx product based on the specifications because they're wrong.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    The 6750 has the new G0 stepping and is thermally more efficient so it runs cooler. It's definitely the better chip as it's an overclocking "Whore"! LOL!! I just hope that it will run on my DS3 so I can compare the 965P chipset to the P35 since the 965P doesn't "officially" support the 1333 fsb yet my DS3 has a native 1333 bus!

sammorris,
    You should add "notoriously" to that wrong! LOL!! They do make a 6 cfm 40mm that's very quiet and works well on the Northbridge. Much quieter than the Evercool I originally bought! Amazingly quiet for a 3000 rpm fan!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah but let's be honest Russ, it's tiny! I had a 5000rpm 60mm fan and yes it was loud, but still nowhere near as loud as the FM121 at full speed, and not even as loud as the Thunderblade. At 3000rpm it probably wouldn't be that bad!
    Any 40mm fan should be quiet at 3000rpm. I'm going to guess that's the sort of fan my server's X1600 Pro has. It's not quiet enough for silent, but it's acceptable.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Motherboard For 1333FSB Support

Anybody who baugght a !975x/!P965 new had a 1333FSB mobo right out of the box. Since this is a overclockers site, the "quote" official 1333 support is only for them who will not OC or install to OEM built mobos with no OC support, This is why we do the 1333FSB pin jump, and yes it worked fine. However, the E6600 OC'd better if left to strap as 1066 cause of mobo/RAM deviders. As for the E6x50's, we only had to flash BIOS to adapt for the new ratio/voltage tables so CPU can respond to TM modes due to it's new thermal handling.

Since the mainstream affordible P965 is now just as supportive as the Performance !975X, they too will do 1333 with out a glitch. Some will even do the next generation 1600FSB w/ little effort, and any !975X was capable of it since new. This is whay we overclock.

Second, I found that even the loud SLI fan (stock, but big as good aftermarkets) on my DFI nF590 at 7000-9000RPM barely can keep as cool as the ThermalRight w/ no fan to the same 45c in heavy SLI gaming mode. Ading a 60x15mm fan @ 3000 (quiet too) brought it down to 41c loaded, 35c idle, and very responsive to temp changes a well.

How high can I expect to get on 1.47v?

I am breaking in as 500x7 (3.50GHz) @ 1.36v, 1:1 DDR1000 @ 4-4-4-8 @ 2.2v round the clock and 12hrs Orthos, and now testing @ 475x8 (3.80GHz) @ 1.47v and still fine tuning so hope that helps.

Clock On!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You are right any 40mm fan should be quiet at 3000 rpm! Problem is the Evercool ran at 5000 to make 6.4 cfm and was loud! Too Loud! See Specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119049
    that's why I replaced it with the Silenex 6cfm @3000 rpm which doesn't make near as much noise as the fan on my video card The Evercool was quiet at 3000 but it no longer moved enough air!! The Silenex is Excellent for a NB cooler! See here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191002

It does as good a job cooling the NB without the noise!

Clockin On,

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

E6750 @ 4.00GHz On Air
    [​IMG]
    To all who's interested, here's the results in on the 2nd E650 on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R. It can hit the 4GHz mark at reasonable voltage but it is nowhere as Stable as when on the ASUS P5K Premium even if it did need a 0.125v up to keep stable. I think it is more to do w/ the mobo and the PWR regulation at a certain point especially for the chipset and other mobo components. As I said this mobo has no active or sinked passive cooling so it is gonna run out of headroom quicker.

The results here required a 1.56v in BIOS to alow for the vdrop under load to 1.89v and idle of 1.52v. Temps for CPU remained nice and calm, but mobo chipset climbed when crossing that 3.8GHz to 4.0GHz mark. It would be great to believe that if this core on the X38-DQ6 w/ "4x3" 12 phase, as on this 965P-DQ6, the mobo can handle the CPU voltage ripple and get more stable line of current to both cores via the EATX +12v (DS3's do not). Otherwise, for those looking at MHz, 3.85 is cool for this CPU on the DS3's for now with no active cooling to mosfets. 515FSB is tops as so on the bandwidth side. So play round with it to se what suites your taste. In either case, the DS3's do well with tigh timings as opposed to some of the Abit mobos I've run lately.

How's That For A Load Of Clock?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ace, 4Ghz on Air, I knew it was possible!

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats nice going that nucknfuts.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    And all I'm looking for is 3.6GHz! Neoseekers got theirs to 4.0 but reported stability issues too! 3.6-3.8 seems to be the target to shoot for! Very nice OC, BTW!

Mine should be here by Wednesday and I'll see what the GA-965P-DS3 can do with it!

Clockin On,

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's awesome! What were your temps like?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I noticed when I looked up the specs for the E6750 that it has a broader range of voltage than the earlier C2Ds. 0.85 to 1.5v so your voltages are not that far out of line, or even excessive!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

It seems Intel has done everything possible to make overclocking easy. Guess that blows my 1.4v limit! LOL!! Up the voltage! ROFL!!

Clockin On,

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

These are the temps as read by Everest Corporate Pdo v4.00.975 and confirmed with previousely suggested app to read digital core temps. read in a +/- 1c.

The mobo is what appeared to get hot quicker when running as 500x8 (4GHz) of 51c if MCH set to +.03v or only 50c if set to +.02v where needed to remain stable. +.3 was nice but not stable for mobo with current cooling (ThermalRight HR-05 w/60x15mm fan @ 5000RPM). CPU @ 4GHz pinged to 51c/52c (cores 1&2) (this mobo and or version of Everest detects no CPU temp to read). Raising CPU to 1.54v did not really help for mobo stability, cjipset got over 51c and not too stably. The CPU will take 1.550v but as it gets closer to 1.6 and without ThermalRight like performance cooling or water, you really start to see the monster come out of it.

"Man', it sure is hot in here! Is the heat?"

I am still waiting for the X38-DQ6 but will likely end up just retesting this CPU on ASUS X38, Maximus Formula (Special Edition) as it is here already to play with. The NB chipset is water jacketed to integrate with my OCZ and ThermalRight copper waterblock so mobo cooling should give more headroom to the 4GHz performance. Should have some results in a few weeks. Also, these inital test were done with older Zalman CNPS9500-Led on full 2600rpm. will end up using ThermalRight Ultra 120 or newer iFX-14 with ASUS for the "on air" test.

So stayed tuned,
    After these messages, I'll be right back.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm, I heard there were no real performance gains with the X38 chipset. Although I don't understand how I can hear things on the internet, so I guess I read it somewhere.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Performance for some not much difference for others

Today, not to much to gain aside form overclocking and gaming, but 6-8 months from now, bits more.

For gaming, how about dual full 16x ATI Crossfire on PCI-E v2.0. or out of hte box support for new coming DDR1600 w/ 45nm/1600FSB cores, and coming soon, the ICH10R Intel Southbridge expected by May or June of 2008. or just better overclocking. Most x38 mobos will likely scale 533FSB with less effort compared to P35. And of corse, ECC RAM support for both DDR2 & 3. Not yet offered on a P35 to date.

Now most will not need or want to drop over $300.00 USD on a DQ6 or Maximus for x38. So I would look into a proven and true P35 on DDR2 like the P5K Deluxe & Premium wich is (today) showing good results compared to the newest x38's on same DDR2 (BIOS updates can change that too). The P35 based DQ6 looks promising too. Although, most of them high end P35's are not much less in $$$ to a new X38 if interested. But it can serve you good till fall of next yr till DDR3 has shown more color in performance @ lesser $$ and ICH10R too.

Let's hope they dont forget the Enthusiast chipset like last time and release the ICH10R to the lesser mainstream chip only, and pass us by. Or maybe P35 will remain the mainstream under x38 as the P965 was to !975x. We'll have to keep reading, and waiting to see.

Clock on!